Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

IPE Dock

Question

20 answers to this question

4000 PSI hard wash, some Home Depot Deck Wash and some Thompson Waterseal and it will look great.

Thats is a little nasty. If you dont know how to handle this job, give me a call, I'll walk you through it:)

That is just thoroughly grey wood with plenty of yuck on top. Use a percarb at full strength then wash.

I wouldn't bother sealing it as it will not hold anything well in that environment anyway.

Too wet and lots of UV reflecting off the water hitting it all more angles than usual.

Rod!~

ahhh Lichen, so thats what that stuff is called

Is bleach most effective at removing it? I had that junk on a old shaded deck and had to sand off spots that the sodium hydrox didnt get

LOL Jeff you crack me up! Next time I know who to call when I need some help.

I find those little green spots often under palm trees.

The sad thing about that dock is that I'm willing to bet that the home owner was told that Ipe is a mantience free wood. Yeah, It will be there for a long time without doing anything to it but it sure will look like crap, and that thing looks like it's slipperier than snot when it's wet.

thanks jeff. Im Sure i'll be calling you soon.

The lichen cleanes right off with EFC38 and some scrubbing.

This is one that I priced fair and still dont expect to get the job! $2 million home, $50000 dock and you should have seen the look on her face when I gave her the esimate. Oh well. Seems the richer they are the less they want to spend.

Its this damn Bush economy, thats what Im blaming everything on now. Right Jeff?

thanks jeff. Im Sure i'll be calling you soon.

The lichen cleanes right off with EFC38 and some scrubbing.

This is one that I priced fair and still dont expect to get the job! $2 million home, $50000 dock and you should have seen the look on her face when I gave her the esimate. Oh well. Seems the richer they are the less they want to spend.

Its this damn Bush economy, thats what Im blaming everything on now. Right Jeff?

You stop talking about my President.

Its really Bill Clinton's fault, its always his fault

Hey Jon I'm going to start a thread on Russian Prez Putin and Bush, look for it you'll love it

Any who.....Hope you get the job, the price may have got her, but I bet you won her over with your charming personality

Hey Christian, You related to Carl? My dad is Dr. Chapman. Just left Banner Elk for warmer pastures in sebring.

Jon,

Yeah, Carl's my Bro. He's a lurker here.... Well, he's made a post or two, but they got deleted, can you imagine that? lol! I once told him that you mentioned that you were from Banner Elk and he wondered if you were the Jon Chapman he remembered from high school. Man, what a small world. He's still up in the hills and doing well. I'm always trying to figure a way to move back but the wife and kids are addicted to the beach. Guess Ill have to settle on trying to buy a piece of the mountains as soon as I can afford it.

I here ya on the rich folks not wanting to spend the $$. Especially when they were told that ipe is maintenance free. I'm working on a 3500 square foot one now, and imagine there faces when I told them the truth about it, how much it would cost to restore, and how much it would cost to maintain the look they thought they would always have. Sometimes I feel sorry for those folks. They are always getting jerked around by someone trying to take a piece of the pie. Then I come in, and they think I'm the one trying to take advantage. Personally I think $2 a square is sometimes too low.

I talked to Carl about 6 months ago. Couldnt remember him at all, but he was in my little brothers grade, 4 years behind me.

Mike, I Went to BE elem in '72-'74. Lived directly behind the Holiday Inn. Could hear the snow blowers on Sugar mountain all night long in winter. Beautiful country but when I got out of the army I realized that there really werent much in the way of career opportunities, so I left for florida. College was cheaper here too.

Really wish now that I had found a way to stay. But my wife is a native here and she hates it when it gets below 70Deg.

Carl tells me BE elem is getting torn down. Shame, but that place was like a dungeon. Cant believe any one could be educated in that environment. Built in the 30s.

Jon,

You think that's why my edumacation is a bit lacking?? I went to BE elementary from 1st through 6th.

Behind the Holiday Inn? I used to catch large trout with my hands in a stream that ran through a pasture just past the Holiday Inn. Man, does that sound country! But that's what it is. I grew up on Sugar Mt.. My Dad was the ski school director and my Mom was an instructor. Needless to say I skied all the time. I always love going and visiting home!!

Mike,

I'm 33, I know the world can't be this small. I knew a Mike Cooke while going to BE Elementary. If I remember right, he moved to MB and that would be crazy if that was you. If so we should hook up and talk story. .

Thats me this is to crazy can't believe we havn't crossed paths around here remember the janitor Larry yea lets hook up!!!!!!

G'day

What is the EPAs' position on washing over water? If it is "nothing down the drain but rain" and "no crap in the creek" what do you do when washing over the water?

I've just done a quote for a pontoon/dock (over salt water river) and was told by the EPA that (weak) sodium hypo-chlorite would be acceptable as it will break-down quickly with out leaving/causing any nasties. Any other cleaning solution was unacceptable. I won't be oiling it so I didn't ask about oil dripping into the water.

Just curious, as while searching I found a lot of product & service suppliers mentioning "EPA approved method" but no actual description.

Cheers

John,

The EPA does not "approve" or "endorse" any specific method or product.

What they do do is tell us what can and cannot go into a body of water.

To elaborate further: Washing weathered wood over a body of water with only water is allowed, but allowing debris such as stain, paint or other installed coatings to go into it is restricted. Washing with the aid of chemicals is restricted.

Around here, we have what are called "Friends of the lake" and they are watch dogs who have the EPA and other water authority phone numbers on speed dial.

Here is one rub though...someone cannot wash the barnacles off a boat and allow the debris to go into the same body of water that spawned it but you can go into the water and pressure wash the boat while it is in dock.

Go figure.

Rod!~