Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Don't Let Your Builder Prep The Ipe Deck

Question

57 answers to this question

Ken,

When you're saying 18 months, Is that a finish that you would expect a customer to be satisfied with for that amount of time? From your description it sounds like it would need some attention before 18 months. How long are you getting a finish to last on a deck, that's fully exposed, that they're happy with? and how do the maintenance coats look when you go back to maintain them. The reason I'm asking is because I think I may have over promised on the 3500 square foot job I just finished and I'm expecting to be back to keep things looking good for what I did promise. The one thing I have going for me on this deck is that it is covered and only partially exposed out toward the edges. Check out the pic and tell me what you think. Now if it can only resist the mold.

Jim,

What kind of mold are you experiencing? I have had little black dots showing up before two weeks is up, and I'm concerned with what is going to happen in two months (classic formula). Do I need to be bleaching the wood after I strip, neutralize, and sand? One deck I finished a little over 4 months ago. It's not grey, but it's dark with mold spores on it. It started with the black dots under the stain and now that the stain has broken down a bit the appearance of the wood is dark and if I rub my hand on it I am getting a black soot on them.

post-1620-137772190216_thumb.jpg

Christian, I have seen deck stains (Cabot's ATO, single coats of TWP, Penofin) last on ipe for three months and then gone. The wood on that porch is covered so you should get maximum life. Any finish lasting 18 months on ipe is a long time and is certainly not the norm. In high sunshine Woodzotic will last 9-12 months.

Thanks,

Is that with basic prep? Strip, neutralize, defur?

Are you doing a full strip every time you maintain or are you able to do a percarb wash and reapply, and does it look as good as the first application?

All the ipe I have done so far (except for one Flood's Supreme performance Pro) has been with WTW. Isn't that the same formulation as your Woodzotic? If not, I'd like to give it a try. PM me if you'd like.

Ken , your correct I thought I had all the answers and Ken, hypocrite dosen't fit here. Now I have doubt about a product and no answers except my own experience to rely on! Your skewing the real issue here. The maint issue! Do you recoat or remove and how to decide! It's a money issue for me and my customer. So is WTW worth the trouble and effort. Your alway's the money guy and respect that part of you. This is a real delemma I have about 15000 sqft done I think on ipe.

Cris, I have two decks that are Grey looking over the floor less than 6 months old.

James, I wish to purely glean from your experience.

Ken , your correct I thought I had all the answers and Ken, hypocrite dosen't fit here. Now I have doubt about a product and no answers except my own experience to rely on! Your skewing the real issue here. The maint issue! Do you recoat or remove and how to decide! It's a money issue for me and my customer. So is WTW worth the trouble and effort. Your alway's the money guy and respect that part of you. This is a real delemma I have about 15000 sqft done I think on ipe.

Looks safe to assume you mean 15k of ipe with wtw on it. Can you share what it is you do...recoat or remove? How you decide? I know you want his experience but I would like to see both your opinions and experience on this. Please feel free to be specific on whether or not you had already considered plan of attack for when the product might be considered a failure at what you intended of it when you first decided to start using it. Please offer any advices on any previous products used in regard to both their early product failures during your course with ipe which may have led you to try the wtw on it. Please share any product cases of what you, in hindsite, now consider a success. Do you plan to go back to using them,,etc.

Interests me why it has been this long of a course and apparently your no better off. Seems same for almost everyone else also and trust me that at this point I don't look down on it. I just call it worthy search for solutions.

Cris, I have two decks that are Grey looking over the floor less than 6 months old. Do we attribute this to wtw failure, a less then 6 month worth of aging, or simply fair ratios of some ya win and some ya loose. You meant to mean "6 mon. since staining" rather than meaning "6 mon. old" deck cause you wait a length of time for aging on them all.. or no?