Sign in to follow this  
spbutton

First day out knocking doors!!!

Question

hi folks

Just spent today out and about trying to drum up business... (my first time for pressure washing).

Sales doesn't come naturally to me, and as I'm new to it all I'm not entirely comfortable selling something that I don't know... anyway, you learn by doing.

I left the house at 8am and decided that I would go to some of the local restaurants and fast food places - well, I had figured out my sales pitch, decided the first place I was going to stop at, parked at the side of the restaurant, business cards in hand then BAM!!!! Walk round the corner and there is another pressure wash company already doing it... lol. I thought it was a sign from the 'man in the sky'!!

Went round numerous places, took pictures, spoke to a few managers... some were receptive, some couldn't care less. A couple of managers didn't even let me introduce myself, but I read a post on here about not taking it personally - so I acted accordingly. I took pictures of the gum on the concrete at these places, so I think I will email or send them to their corporate offices and see if I have any luck.

I kicked myself after coming out of a few restaurants, I said my piece to the manager, gave them my card... but forgot to get their contact details or card.... STUPID, STUPID, STUPID... learn from my mistakes and all that. I did get asked to fax an estimate to one restaurant and a couple of tourist information booths were very interested in having their concrete walkways cleaned... I'll get to work with that!!

I felt that I was talking to the wrong people at times, they said that they would send my card to corporate or their district manager (I have my doubts). Should I call or email corporate directly? How do you guys go about this... introduce yourself and company, ask if they would like an estimate???

right, I've babbled enough - thanks for listening!!

Regards

Steven B:)

4 answers to this question

I'm not a commercial cold calling kind of guy. I give you much credit for your effort. I would say & think you have to hit it at all levels, the store & corp

Good luck, hope others that know better chime in

Bring your trailer with you and give a demo. Some will hire on the spot, some will start the chain of events for you. Remember that whoever you are speaking with on the phone or face to face, make them feel that they are the most important person in the world. Beause they are!!!! They are the ones that will send you in the right direction through " first contact".

Chain businesses will take longer to establish vs. a stand alone business with the owner onsite. Follow up and keep asking questions. Main question after demo and follow up is "when can we schedule" and "are you still interested.

Direct and up front with your questions will save you time and cut to the chase.

You can concievably make 1200 cold calls on the phone in a month and it will at least yeild SOME work. Depending upon your sales pitch.

Cold calling requires alot of smiling and tough skin.

follow up follow up follow up.