Sign in to follow this  
publicnuisance

Lazy Man Needs Deck Help

The title of this post says it all.

We purchased our house about 18 months ago, it has a deck that is about 600sf and needs re-staining. Based on the signatures in the concrete around the supports I believe it was built in 1992. I found a partial 5'er of Flood CWF-UV oil base stain in the garage and assume that is what is on it. The floor is the worst, although it looked fairly good when we moved in, the railing and balusters are in pretty good shape.

I would like to strip and re-stain the floor. I have read many, many posts looking for an easy way out and found several on "Downstreaming" stripper. That would be my preferred method, did I mention I am lazy. Anyway, what stripper would work best for this application?

Thanks

If you are that lazy, maybe you should hire someone to do it. If you doubt that you will perform the steps as directed, or will quit part way into it, hire someone. You can do plenty of damage by skipping steps or improvising. Are you sure you want to try this yourself?

Beth

Honestly, nothing that any pro here is going to recommend you to use. This is not because we want to be selfish with technique but because something strong enough to remove CWF via downstreaming is going to be a strong caustic that can blind you or give you 2nd and third degree burns. The chemicals, in this case, really are for pro grade use.

I agree with Beth. The lazy man's solution is to hire someone to do the job. I sell deck cleaners to homeowners on my website but i wouldn't want to mislead you. There are ways to make the job go quickly, smoothly and more safely but it will still be labor intensive.

Honestly, nothing that any pro here is going to recommend you to use. This is not because we want to be selfish with technique but because something strong enough to remove CWF via downstreaming is going to be a strong caustic that can blind you or give you 2nd and third degree burns. The chemicals, in this case, really are for pro grade use.

Hire a pro to do it right, then try the easy step - maintenance cleaning - for yourself if you really, really miss the physical labor....the hot, sweaty, muscle aching physical labor....

Beth

I am sure I want to try it myself, besides lazy I am also cheap. As I mentioned the deck is over 15 years old and if I end up replacing the deck boards it would not be the end of the world.

All of the strippers I have looked into say to apply to a dry surface, let stand and rinse. I doubt I can rinse the first area without getting the next area wet. Is there stripper available that is applied to a wet surface? They also say to scrub the surface, that is the step I would most like to skip.

I had considered just flipping the boards over since they are all square cut. I also have a thickness planner and could just take off the top layer very easily, which would make them nice and smooth. I would rather not do either of these two options though.

Thanks

I am sure I want to try it myself, besides lazy I am also cheap. As I mentioned the deck is over 15 years old and if I end up replacing the deck boards it would not be the end of the world.

All of the strippers I have looked into say to apply to a dry surface, let stand and rinse. I doubt I can rinse the first area without getting the next area wet. Is there stripper available that is applied to a wet surface? They also say to scrub the surface, that is the step I would most like to skip.

I had considered just flipping the boards over since they are all square cut. I also have a thickness planner and could just take off the top layer very easily, which would make them nice and smooth. I would rather not do either of these two options though.

Thanks

O.K The jokes over. Your pullin my leg.

And if not then do I have the solution for you. Leave it alone. If you are too lazy and cheap to do it right then just buy a pair of really dark sunglasses. Keep them by the back door leading to the deck. Put them on before you look at it, and it will always look nicely stained. Or you could just take advantage of your deck at night.

Thanks

This is too funny. If you're that lazy, tear off your deck and put steps by your door. And to avoid mowing your lawn, spray it with round up once a year.

Theres no way you would be set up to effectively downstream stripper unless you have equipment set up to do so. You haven't mentioned if you have use of a pressure washer. If you follow the mindset of most lazy customers Ive come across you will end up using too much pressure to "speed up the job". Not good for the wood, not good for your project

Theres no "easy way out" in terms of finish removal on a deck. As mentioned, there are techniques and products that make the job quicker, but many require specialized equipment and proper knowledge of the use of such equipment. And I'll reiterate Ken's comment regarding the danger of the chemicals required for those applications. If done wrong, you will likely experiance damage to your house sides, any plants in the area, and your own body (eyes, skin, hands)

There are products available for consumers such as yourself that will ultimately save you money over a professional, but its a distinct possibility that you would need to use a scrub brush. You may also require two applications of cleaner or finish remover.

Replacing the deck boards and or flipping them and sanding them will both be either exponentially more work and or money in relation to hiring a professional. The cost of you messing up the project, your deck, your home, or your body will be much worse than the cost of someone doing the job for you

Bottom line is that you can't restore a deck sitting on a lawn chair drinking a beer. Sorry to break it to you

The lazy cheap way would be to put a cleaner on it, wash or scrub it, not care if it looks splotchy, buy whatever junk is cheapest at the store (cheapest is not best) slop in on and then when it dries wonder why it looks horrible and why there are drips and run marks everywhere, then call a pro who will quote you double what it would have cost to begin with , since they have to undo the damage (yes, it's damage) you just did trying to save money.

All the chemical burns from applying it too strong, all the splotchiness from improper or lack of neutralization, all the run marks, all stop start and gouge marks you will make if you power wash it since you don't know how to do it right....it will ALL show up big as day. And when you seal over all that, and then the sealing job will look amature and your deck has just become the neighborhood eyesore. And what's really sad, is most of the time the owner will blame a contractor if someone asks what happened...."oh I just hired some guy to do it". HA!

Are you sure you want to tackle this?

Beth

p.s. if you really want solid advice - post a picture of the deck. Asking how to do something with no photos is a guessing game at best.

Thanks for all the un-constructive criticism. You assume I know nothing when the truth is that I have been doing all of my own automotive and home maintenance for over thirty years. I have built decks, fences, installed central heat and air, upgraded breaker panel, built 2 garages including electric, applied countless gallons of paint, repaired plaster walls, refinished hardwood floors, installed cabinets and counter tops, replaced plumbing, installed tile shower surround and the list goes on and on.

All these things I do myself because I enjoy the satisfaction of making my world more comfortable, attractive, dependable and functional. Not to mention the fact that any time I have paid someone to work on my stuff I have not felt like I got a quality result for the money, at least if I mess up my own project I have no one else to blame but myself. I’m sure you would agree that even in the pressure washing field there are dummies pulling trailers full of equipment that don’t have a clue what they are doing.

I have a 900sf workshop full of table saws, chop saws, thickness plainer, air compressor, welding equipment, metal cutting band saw, airless paint sprayer, 2750 psi 3 gpm Honda powered pressure washer, unknown numbers of power tools, both pneumatic and electric, and hand tools out the wazoo that enables me to create, change and repair my world the way I see fit. And proper safety equipment so that even today I have all my fingers, toes and eyes and they all work fine.

So excuse me for trying to inject a little levity by saying I am lazy, maybe lazy is not the correct word because I will stick with a project until it is finished. And I am smart enough to ask questions or read and learn what I need to know to complete my chosen task. That is all I wanted to gain from this Forum, a little insight from what I assumed were professional people willing to share their expertise. I would rather work smart than hard.

PRESSURE PROS

Thanks. At least you gave your honest opinion, but I am not scared off of the project yet.

INTEGRITY PSI

No, it’s no joke. The answer I was looking for is the way to do it right as you suggest. I have a pair of sunglasses already, but thanks anyway.

NORTHWESTERN

No Thanks, I like my deck and my lawn.

BIG CHAZ

Thanks for not treating me like a total idiot. Yes I do have the capability to down stream chemical. The deck is over concrete and the house is brick so no fear there. All plants in the area are in pots so they can be moved easily. Yes, I do enjoy a sit in the lawn chair and a cold one at times, have we met?

BETH N ROD

I don’t know what to say to you. You asked right away if this is something I wanted to tackle and I responded with my next post but still nothing constructive from you, it almost seems that you have a bone to pick with DIY'ers. I see that you are Site Admin(s), if this is the way people in general are treated at the site you administer than you should make it exclusive with membership by invitation only.

In closing, I intend to obtain ample amounts of HD-80 and Citralic, apply both with a pump sprayer, or possibly DS them, and complete the job myself. If any of you care to share any useful information I would appreciate it. If any of you are offended by this post than by all means boot me off this forum and delete my log on from you servers.

Sincerely,

Publicnuisance

Thanks for all the un-constructive criticism. You assume I know nothing when the truth is that I have been doing all of my own automotive and home maintenance for over thirty years. I have built decks, fences, installed central heat and air, upgraded breaker panel, built 2 garages including electric, applied countless gallons of paint, repaired plaster walls, refinished hardwood floors, installed cabinets and counter tops, replaced plumbing, installed tile shower surround and the list goes on and on.

All these things I do myself because I enjoy the satisfaction of making my world more comfortable, attractive, dependable and functional. Not to mention the fact that any time I have paid someone to work on my stuff I have not felt like I got a quality result for the money, at least if I mess up my own project I have no one else to blame but myself. I’m sure you would agree that even in the pressure washing field there are dummies pulling trailers full of equipment that don’t have a clue what they are doing.

I have a 900sf workshop full of table saws, chop saws, thickness plainer, air compressor, welding equipment, metal cutting band saw, airless paint sprayer, 2750 psi 3 gpm Honda powered pressure washer, unknown numbers of power tools, both pneumatic and electric, and hand tools out the wazoo that enables me to create, change and repair my world the way I see fit. And proper safety equipment so that even today I have all my fingers, toes and eyes and they all work fine.

So excuse me for trying to inject a little levity by saying I am lazy, maybe lazy is not the correct word because I will stick with a project until it is finished. And I am smart enough to ask questions or read and learn what I need to know to complete my chosen task. That is all I wanted to gain from this Forum, a little insight from what I assumed were professional people willing to share their expertise. I would rather work smart than hard.

PRESSURE PROS

Thanks. At least you gave your honest opinion, but I am not scared off of the project yet.

INTEGRITY PSI

No, it’s no joke. The answer I was looking for is the way to do it right as you suggest. I have a pair of sunglasses already, but thanks anyway.

NORTHWESTERN

No Thanks, I like my deck and my lawn.

BIG CHAZ

Thanks for not treating me like a total idiot. Yes I do have the capability to down stream chemical. The deck is over concrete and the house is brick so no fear there. All plants in the area are in pots so they can be moved easily. Yes, I do enjoy a sit in the lawn chair and a cold one at times, have we met?

BETH N ROD

I don’t know what to say to you. You asked right away if this is something I wanted to tackle and I responded with my next post but still nothing constructive from you, it almost seems that you have a bone to pick with DIY'ers. I see that you are Site Admin(s), if this is the way people in general are treated at the site you administer than you should make it exclusive with membership by invitation only.

In closing, I intend to obtain ample amounts of HD-80 and Citralic, apply both with a pump sprayer, or possibly DS them, and complete the job myself. If any of you care to share any useful information I would appreciate it. If any of you are offended by this post than by all means boot me off this forum and delete my log on from you servers.

Sincerely,

Publicnuisance

I'm not offended at all. But you did post by your own admission that you are lazy and cheap. We do this for a living and have seen the results of lazy people who stop half way through a job, and cheap people who cut corners or skimp and still expect stunning results. If you truly have the aptitude, you are not the average homeowner, and I applaud your efforts. But year after year, we see many home owners who try, and fail, and then are bitter because they didn't spend the money. They find out they, unlike you, have no aptitude.

There are tons of threads on these forums that detail how to properly strip a deck, prep a deck, and seal a deck. The one thing I'll say and it is out of caring, don't be lazy with the PPE. Wear it. HD-80 is a very powerful caustic. It works like a charm, but will eat your flesh in a heartbeat. Yes - eat your flesh raw. Hospital raw. Don't downstream it. Apply it with a pump up sprayer - it's more controlled. Prewet all the plants around the deck, work in small sections. Same with your neutralizer.

The HD-80 can strip the paint off the aluminum window trim or gutter downspouts. The acid can etch your glass. Both can harm your person, and your plants. Pre-wet the areas you are working near, and wear PPE.

This is not a lazy man's work. Be ready to devote hours at a time. Take your breaks at logical work stopping points, and NEVER leave active chemical on the wood if you are not working - by this I mean don't leave it until next weekend - finish what you start.

Hope this helps. We all mean well around here... Check the deck forum.

Beth

I think people would have treated you better had you not mentioned being lazy and cheap 3 or 4 times. Had you approached it saying "I'm an avid diy'er looking for some advice on my deck, i own a pressure washer, not afraid to get dirty, etc," it might have seemed more serious. You will get wet, you will get dirty, you may have to do the job twice in a row to get all the old stain off. Not a job for lazy people

And like everyone has said, wear goggles, rubber gloves, respirator. These chemicals are nothing like your average household cleaner or fertilizer. You get it on your skin and it will burn burn burn. Cant just rinse Hd-80 off your skin with water either. It may help but it itches like heck.

The title of this post says it all.

We purchased our house about 18 months ago, it has a deck that is about 600sf and needs re-staining. Based on the signatures in the concrete around the supports I believe it was built in 1992. I found a partial 5'er of Flood CWF-UV oil base stain in the garage and assume that is what is on it. The floor is the worst, although it looked fairly good when we moved in, the railing and balusters are in pretty good shape.

I would like to strip and re-stain the floor. I have read many, many posts looking for an easy way out and found several on "Downstreaming" stripper. That would be my preferred method, did I mention I am lazy. Anyway, what stripper would work best for this application?

Thanks

pm sent

Public,

Your initial post was the equivalent of saying "Niagara Falls". Slowly we turned - "step by step, inch by inch..." Any professional that has they're profession "minimized" (by implying that anyone can do what they do) by lay-people tends to get they're hackles up. Many homeowners assume that just because we make what we do look easy, it is - but it is not. Based on your initial post, you did seem to be one of those people.

Obviously, based on you last post, you are not. I'm sure we all wish you well in you attempt, but please, PLEASE heed our warnings of PPE and the dangers of working with, especially, the HD-80. HD-80 is caustic soda or lye and it will eat flesh. I can speak from personal experience.

John

PN,

You must admit, you asked for these type of replies. I don't know what you do for a living, but what if I told you I was going to perform one of your professional tasks. Ithen said I am cheap, and then I said I am lazy. Then I followed up with saying I was desiring professional results. I must assume you would think I pompous, and ignorant. And then it would tick you off. Why? Because if we could all perform professional tasks and reap exceptional results with little to no money while using core competencies such as laziness, and ignorance. We would have no use in lerning institutions at any level. What is your proffession by the way?

I must admit, your first post really led me to believe that it was a joke.

hey don't forget to video yourself and post it on youtube - so we can all laugh our a$$'s off.

Sounds like the guy is a capable DIYer...Why would we laugh? Are we the only ones who can read these forums and understand what to do? That's how I did my first deck, and it turned out pretty dang good...

I have a lot of respect for DIYers who have the abilities and aptitudes to learn how to do things. I'm one of those people...I'd never call a plumber or an electrician or a roofer or a painter to do work on my house, unless I was too busy making better money than I could save doing the work myself.