Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

the definitive reason to have insurance

This is a deck I looked at yesterday. its a 3/4 of a million dollar IPE deck. The pool cleaning contractor dripped SH across the entire deck from one side to the other. The cost to replace the affected boards is over $50k.

Better to pay the insurance cost per year than have something like this happen to you.

post-4622-137772196436_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772196452_thumb.jpg

Jon, what route did you end up going with the consultation?

I never got to talk to the HO. Just the builder and adjuster. Since I wouldnt guarantee that the spots would not come back, (I mean how do you guarantee that) and the HO liked the silver look of the weathered IPE, the best option would be to replace the boards. Even though the new boards would take time to weather. If they wanted it finished with an oil I would have given that guarantee, but the builder was pretty adamant and the insurance co will probably just go with replacement.

This deck was unbeleivable. the pics dont do it justice. I didnt take any since it was pouring rain when we were there. This was an entire shipment of IPE. He said he did $1 mil

or exterior work for the customer and the majority was the deck.

It would seem to me that the simplest solution would be to do the rest of the deck with the same SH solution to even it out. (A test could be done on a few of the affected boards.) From the pics, it would appear that the boards would still have a silver color. Just my thoughts.

It would seem to me that the simplest solution would be to do the rest of the deck with the same SH solution to even it out. (A test could be done on a few of the affected boards.) From the pics, it would appear that the boards would still have a silver color. Just my thoughts.

i agree with that, just bleach the whole thing it will even it out.

Oh boy could I use a job like that one about now!!!

I wonder if the boards CAN be flipped, or if they are milled differently... Client probably wouldn't accept it if some nail holes were misaligned...

That is a very easy fix . Just bleach and rinse to maintain the grey look and in 6 months it will be mildewy again. After bleaching it will look almost white. The grey comes from dirt and mildew.

Jim,

I gave them all the options. The builder was pretty smart too. He had really thought through all the options like flipping boards (very labor intensive-taking down railings, moldings on columns plus lots of angle cuts) then still having to clean and he maintained the customer would not accept that. Or just bring the whole deck back with a good bleaching. I dont know if the adjuster talked to the customer or not, or just through the lawyer and builder, but if they want to write the check they can go right ahead. I may call the builder and see if he'll donate the boards though.