Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

2008 Sealer Poll

What sealer(s) are you using in 2008?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What sealer(s) are you using in 2008?

• Flood
    • Sikkens
    • Olympic
    • Behr
    • Cabot
    • Ready Seal
    • ESI (any Wood Tux or Woodrich product)
    • Wolman
    • Sherwin Williams
    • ABR
    • Defy
    • TWP
    • Wood Defender
    • Baker's
    • Penofin
    • Messmers
    • Something new on the market - share in thread
    • Something not new - but not listed here - share in thread

Question

89 answers to this question

Basically what I did when I decided to look for better stuff than I could find locally... I did hours of net searches for sealer/stains and I downloaded any date sheets and MSDS sheets I could get. I took notes on all the claims advertised. I knew I wanted high solids, active ingredients and low solvents. I decided on several I wanted to try and started calling suppliers and manufacturers asking for samples and data sheets. After looking at contents, the main objective was to see how they acted.

I got everything together I could get - piles of brochures and boxes of samples - and a case of chip brushes. Then I went to my shop and cut up a bunch of 5/4 deck boards I cleaned that came off a neighbor's deck. I based my likes and dislikes on common sense stuff like how it works, how it penetrates etc.. Plus I always put a hand in it and just see how it feels and acts on the skin. Crazy, but you can tell a lot. Your going to get it on you anyway.

I've got AC on some approaching 2 yrs, as my previous post said and I'll be glad to post some pics.

Edited by ShineBrite LLC
add signature...

I have been using Cabots mainly. Tried wood tux. Liked it. Just tried IN-WOOD stain on my last three decks and I love it. I love the way it looks and goes on.

Interesting poll,

We mainly use ReadySeal and have since we started the business. Easy to use, easier to maintain, and looks good. Like their marketing twist as "The contractors choice" in wood sealers. I have applied it to log homes, Board and Batton (Barns, garages and houses), cedar siding, cedar shakes, PT decks, Cedar decks, Swingsets, one outhouse, one doghouse, the inside walls of three pressure washing trailers and redwood decks (using thier redwood formula). In 4 1/2 years I had one problem with one complaint from the homeowner on a Cedar Deck.... It was a novice error on my part, not a problem with the product itsself. I called Pierce (National Sales Manager) for advice and decided to restrip and seal the deck. Without even a call or notice, Pierced shipped me an additional 10 gallons of product to recoat the deck at no charge. Great product + great resource = happy customer.

Sherwin Williams Deck Scapes and WoodScapes is our choice for solid colors for houses and decks when the homeowner wants a solid. The deckscapes is pretty forgiving in the application process, rarely lapmarks, good coverage and looks good. The woodscapes for houses is less forgiving, looks great, we often spray the final coat and back roll it with a wiz roller. Get a Sherwin Williams business account and get great contractor pricing

Sikkens: We have used the their solid on a house. Not very forgiving at all, But... it looked fantastic when finished and coated extremely well with good coverage. We did 98 percent of the house with a wiz roller and did it quickly

Armstrong Clark: I have put it down on four or five decks recently. Pretty easy to apply, you beed to slightly aware of application process to prevent lapmarks (if you cut in first and then do the deck, you may see a few lap marks (ReadySeal does not do this) However.. two coats of this product looks good on the decks. Maintenance: the jury is still out, I will not know about this for a couple of years. We Applied it to spindles with a wiz roller.... very fast application method. Nice Brochures except that they promote the homeowner self application a little more than I would like.

Ace HArdware Brand::lgangry:

Benjamin Moore Brand: OK

Ace HArdware Brand::lgangry:

Benjamin Moore Brand: OK

Matt,

What is a "wiz roller"?

Luckily, a large Ace Hardware store opened in my town two years ago. I'm probably in there 3 times a week purchasing supplies for the business and stuff for my home. As such, have gotten to know the owner quite well.

Though they carry a full line of Benjamin Moore paints, they no longer carry any B. M. exterior wood stains. When I asked why, they had so many problems and returns last year that they dropped all the stains from inventory.

The reason was the stain was not drying after application.

I have been using Cabots mainly. Tried wood tux. Liked it. Just tried IN-WOOD stain on my last three decks and I love it. I love the way it looks and goes on.

I wouldnt use CAbots stain. Have you ever tried to strip it. Let me tell you its not fun. Wod tux,TWP, and Olympic oil , will all last just as long and are very contractor friendly.