Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

The follow up call

Had some good encouragement from the Fennerator today - he also drilled the importance on the 'follow-up' call. And I decided to put it into practice today. I had done an estimate last week - suspected the people weren't going to pay much. Didn't really have a great chance at doing a sales presentation - explained some things to 'hubby' while wife was at work - and got the 'will run it by the wifey' routine. So I did the follow up with wifey - as I can tell she is making the decisions - and although she said they weren't going with the house washing part, wasn't that dirty, she was mostly interested in the deck, and was going to get several more estimates - another sign of cheapness. But I did manage to life her eyebrows with how trex was sold in the industry as a no-maintenance product - and has turned into a nightmare - that raised her eyebrow, and she didn't know that - although her trex was very badly mildewed. So I further explained that if she was going for other contractors - that she make sure they know not to 'overbleach' the deck, causing the color to go away. I explained how I could use a lower bleach strength, still kill the molds, and not affect the color much - she was impressed. Now I am not saying I will get the job - but I definitely feel I injected some more 'reality' into the situation and raised the probability in my favor of acquiring a sale even in the face of cheaper pricing from the competition. So I did what I set out to do - sell the customer on value, and differentiate myself from pricing alone. Still not a perfect sales - but another thing - lots of our competition are lazy too, I bet she won't even get another contractor to come by.

I do it religiously on deck bids, and it works really well. Usually I do the call back the following day and ask if they have any questions about the estimate. I then proceed to give them pointed questions to ask other contractors bidding the job such as; explain the importance of neutralization, ask about moisture content and its effect on the stain they're going to use, etc., etc. I let them know that they can call me anytime with questions too. Makes me appear to be concerned about their project (which I truly am), and gives them the feeling that I'm an ally in their project, and someone they can trust.

Good stuff guys. Mike, thats the perfect way to follow up with a customer.

I can't meet with everyone especially where my business is at today. The only reason I have a decent closing ratio when I leave an estimate is because of the follow up call. You lead in with asking them if they have any questions and it usually turns into a conversation. This is an important tool for guys that don't like doing face-to face sales. You'll close at least a third to a half of your quotes with a follow up call. You are right, Mike, it shows you care about the customer and parlays to the customer that you are a real business person.

I often do follow up calls. I have gotten large projects due to the fact of my follow up calls. I have called 3-5 days later after submitting bids and ask if they got the bid,ask if they have any questions and ask if they have made any decisions.

A few times I have had PM's tell me others were suppose to submit bids and they arent in yet and a few occasions they have said do the work, if the others dont want the job the heck with them basically. The follow up call shows them you want their work and you will put the extra effort to get it. really what extra is it to make a simple phone call, hell I guess if the competition cant even get a bid in timely why would they bother calling

If I cant get through to a PM , I leave a voice mail or email following up show you are top of things

follow is just part of good customer service

follow is just part of good customer service

Sometimes Jeff, the easy things don't come easy - I use to submit tons of proposals without following up. And I suspect most of my competition is the same way - and I think it's kind of nerve-wracking to those that don't like customer interaction - it can be hurtful to egos for some. Like Ken said, it helps the closing percentages. And it reminded me how last fall I got one of my biggest contracts which included deck restoration and a house wash. I closed the deal over the other guy that was much much much cheaper. So price isn't always the whole story. In the end the customer realized they were getting superior work anyways - so that made her happier. But now I will do call-backs as routine, just making sure to be more consistent and round out my sales approach.

As a sidenote - I am finding that it's better to perhaps callback at least 3 business days after submitting proposal. I may be wrong - and no definitive statistics - but I suspect it gives the customer time to digest and get other estimates, and if the others haven't come in - just shows that you are serious, where as callbacks the next day - don't accomplish as much

Do you all do follow up calls on work that you have completed? This is somthing that I've never really done, but have thought often that I should be doing. I've even thought about comment cards of some sort as well just so I have somthing in writing that is easy to refer to.