Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

How long will pressure washing remain lucrative?

How long before the money runs out on pressure washing?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How long before the money runs out on pressure washing?

• 0 - 5 years from now
    • 5 - 10 years from now
    • 10-15 years from now
    • 20+ years
    • You're crazy, the public will always pay us top dollar!

So here is a post about the eventual demise of the pressure washing industry. I know this post will touch a raw nerve with some, but I think it's fair question, most trades have seen their 'heyday' and have declined to the point it's hard to make a buck. So many of you from what I have read, look down at painters in general for instance as that 'scum' trade. Painters have the oldest orgs on the books - the PDCA for instance - well over a hundred years old - so let's be honest. Well here is what I feel - I firmly believe that at some point in the future that pressure washing will be another trade that will fall by the wayside in terms of profitability, I think it will run it's natural course like so many industries and so many careers - where in the beginning there is little knowledge of said industry - then recognition rises along with demand - but little supply, aka the contractor - and eventually the hoardes come rolling in the to meet the supply - and pressure washing will settle back down to being another trade where it's hard to make a buck.

For comparison's sake - the best, very best most professional painting contractor with million dollar homes and wealthy clients with every single i dotted and t crossed may get around $55-$65 tops per man-hour. Normal high end guys mid 40s to $50 an hour. Run of the mill quality contractor $35-$40/hr tops - while many guys below that asking for $20-$25.

So, Ron, I am to assume you don't think the profitability will end in the next 5 years? I just want a solid 15 years - I have seen so many of my careers toppled by the whims of the economy - I just need this career to hold out long enough that I can make some money.

Dan

Don't get down on yourself so much. We have now been in the Pressure Washing service business 18 years, and I'm most of the time the highest bidded and usually get the work. Marketing-Honest- Dependable-Quality-Staying In Touch-Do special Things. Have compassion with your employees and customers. These are the formulas that make it work for us. No B.S. and never lie and never promise something you can not deliver on. Return calls asap. Top customer service is what works! Because you are in the service business.

All of the above is not just for the Pressure Washing Industry success its any business, even if you are a coat hander salesman. You must be better than your competition, what are their pitfalls? then capitalize on them.

Tony

Daniel,

You bring up a good point. You speak of the demise of the pressure washing industry. The low prices driving competitors to non existing. You answered your own question. The PDCA. I am a member and have been for 9 years. Our business grows every year. We are small, by choice, but profitable. Why? The painting businesses realized in 1884 that united together the industry would be stronger. They developed educational materials, networking, business plans, National Standards, Accreditation etc. The list is way to long to list here. Check out PDCA - The Voice of the Professional Painting and Decorating Contractor - - - - - PDCA...Your "Partner In Profit" you will see what I am saying is true.

Now as far as any industry going broke? Many do. Why? They do not unite, constantly bicker among theirselves, work against one another, worry that some other company will find out THEIR SECRETS. Again I could go on and on. Look around. Do you see people working together? Do you see the problems I mentioned? If you do, it better get corrected or we will be out of business. The industry will not go away. It will only get weaker. I don't believe having a RT on every block will solve anything. It is when we have a National RT with 300 attendees that will make adifference. 30 contractors will not solve any problem, except their own. 300 will make a difference. I attend a PDCA RT every year with as many as 120 contractors sharing ideas and information. It is amazing. The first year I came home with 670 pages of information. How can you put a price on that? Do I think PWing will go away? No. Do I think it will get better? It is up to us. My 2 cents. Thank You

Terry - either times are real bad, or New Englanders are real cheap - but I think it's fair to say that the painting trade got flushed down the toilet. I mean let's face it, painting, especially exterior painting is about the most expensive trade to break into. And I see evidence - how many painters deny themselves the 'basics' in safety equipment - just so they can compete. Like a rack full of ladders, that are all at best 200lb test - and just real beat up looking. So if this trade can get flushed - why not pressure washing? Heck I even read about roofers in the midwest - that will rip up 2 layers of old roofing and put down new roofing - materials included for $200 per 'square'. The hacks are there too!

Dan

Don't get down on yourself so much. We have now been in the Pressure Washing service business 18 years, and I'm most of the time the highest bidded and usually get the work. Marketing-Honest- Dependable-Quality-Staying In Touch-Do special Things. Have compassion with your employees and customers. These are the formulas that make it work for us. No B.S. and never lie and never promise something you can not deliver on. Return calls asap. Top customer service is what works! Because you are in the service business.

All of the above is not just for the Pressure Washing Industry success its any business, even if you are a coat hander salesman. You must be better than your competition, what are their pitfalls? then capitalize on them.

Tony

Tony , Great advice. I think we do about the same things. Kinda funny youve been around awhile. Could it be a formula for success?

Ron - I love the enthusiasm - but the definition of a bad economy is 'negative' growth. How do you sustain growth in a time when people lose their jobs, businesses cut back - and people are wary of spending? What makes the pressure washing industry so immune from these greater market forces?

Honestly thats all about setting yourself apart from the others by selling your services, experience, technique, and building trust with clients. She has to know why they are able to offer a $99 housewash and why your $240 wash is som much better. If you let people shop on price you'll always lose.

Sorry Dan -- somehow I managed to mess up your last post!

I was replying to your post and must not of had enough coffee this morning.

My response to your $240 housewash vs the $99 guys was with regard to setting yourself apart from the competition. You have to sell yourself and explain WHY your service is worth $240. There's a reason guys can offer $99 housewashes and if you let them shop on price alone you'll almost always lose.

Ron - I love the enthusiasm - but the definition of a bad economy is 'negative' growth. How do you sustain growth in a time when people lose their jobs, businesses cut back - and people are wary of spending? What makes the pressure washing industry so immune from these greater market forces?

investor buying propertys and people remodeling instead of buying new.

plus other going out of business, customers call me to take over.

Dan that is tough to beat out! You get what you pay for. You need to market customers that unstand quality and why you are the best at what you do and drill that home. There is a reason why he is cheap, they are cutting coners somewhere. Insurance-help-taxes-chems-or no chems-education (none)-equipment- there are a host of things why they are cheap.

Reasons why guys like Ron and myself keep growing every year is because of the customer base we have established over the past so many years. New customers come on board and it just has built over the years. Expanding with my past customers is important. We may have washed Mr. Smith's home and gave him top notch service. But, did you know Mr. Smith is the CEO of the biggest factory in our area? He loves the service we provided at his home for $350, now he needs to know that we do industrial work as well. Bam- that $350 house wash just got you in the door for a five digit job!

Above is just an example of how we build up our business over the years. Sometimes it may be a $300 job but it can open so so so many doors for your company.

Dan that is tough to beat out! You get what you pay for. You need to market customers that unstand quality and why you are the best at what you do and drill that home. There is a reason why he is cheap, they are cutting coners somewhere. Insurance-help-taxes-chems-or no chems-education (none)-equipment- there are a host of things why they are cheap.

Reasons why guys like Ron and myself keep growing every year is because of the customer base we have established over the past so many years. New customers come on board and it just has built over the years. Expanding with my past customers is important. We may have washed Mr. Smith's home and gave him top notch service. But, did you know Mr. Smith is the CEO of the biggest factory in our area? He loves the service we provided at his home for $350, now he needs to know that we do industrial work as well. Bam- that $350 house wash just got you in the door for a five digit job!

Above is just an example of how we build up our business over the years. Sometimes it may be a $300 job but it can open so so so many doors for your company.

Tony, i dont do residential, but for that very reason i will be attending more home shows promoting my commercial.

Attitude ! Having a positive attitude about your craft and becoming an authority in certain specialties creates a natural draw from the public.My Magnetism starts with the opening of Baseball season and April Fools day.

Dan , I have know Idea where you get this Negative cheap New England Attitude. You live next to Boston one of the most affluent

areas in the US.

Do above average work, Network, and Prosper !!

Playball!!!

Gotta love New England, Yesterday 60ty this morning 20. Going to wash a 1000 feet of Ipooh ( I've changed the name from Ipee). Dan the phone is going crazy from past customers. This cust I am also restoring the Marble foyer way, Cleaning a Grand chandilier, and granite counter tops . Can you fine one hundred people to spend 2000 thousand dollars ?

Dan, I can't put a time frame on the demise of the industry but one only has to look at the industries of painting and lawn care. It really depends upon exactly what has been said above. You have to set yourself apart.

If I do splash and dash apartment repaints or focus my business around grass cutting. Yeah, I'm doomed. Same story if I focus my business around driveway cleaning or quick housewashes sold for a couple hundred bucks. Ron mentions a 400% growth expectation in PW'ing. The majority of that growth will probably come from homeowners hiring cleaning contractors. That will quickly create supply and demand issues. Depending upon your business model that can be your demise or become a cash cow. There will always be the hacks that see the market as a big one but get into it as cheaply as possible with no real business sense. These guys will sell on the Walmart dream of high volume. This is why I constantly stress chasing the higher end of the market. The Florida guys speak loudest about the lowballers and complain about losing bids to hacks. Why? They put themselves in the fray of competing with those guys. Yet you have guys like Don Phelps that stay successful. I'm sure Don loses some bids to idiots but by the same token, one doesn't expand their company and spend thousands of dollars on a vehicle wrap if they aren't making money.

Ken - I hear what you are saying. I just can't imagine that $270 seems expensive to anyone making 50g's or more. I am setting up my database - but anyone field like value of home, age of customers, or town they are situated on - is going to take at least 30 data points before I can derive meaninguful results - and that will take a while - man If I could buy these statistics and circumvent this - I wouldn't have to deal with this. $270 is alot? People have nice home, a pool, a deck - 3 sheds, some nice vehicles - and they're going to try and do it themselves? I am astonished. Man Jim I don't know the New England where you live - my New England is Yankee cheapness all the way.

Dan, the majority of my customer database has at least one car in the driveway that I know would cost $1000+ per month to lease. They aren't afraid to spend money. The only difference is they won't spend that money on someone they don't trust to deliver the goods. If you walk in with a $250 housewash mentality, that's what you are going to get. In fact, if your esteem is low and you think that's all your service is worth, you may not get hired at all. That's not because, contrary to popular opinion, you're priced too high. It's because you created a conflict in the mind of the homeowner. How can this guy be saying licensed, insured and tout high quality yet be so cheap? Talk to guys that are finally breaking into the $400+ range for house washing and ask them about their closing ratio.

Dan you live in one of the top towns to live in according to Money mag. Med income 105k, you live around some of the other top towns in the country out side of Boston?Dan, I can't read your posts anymore they are depressing me......... time for Family Guy.....

Dan, there's something wrong- either with your presentation or your close. You can try to get some help to analyze the problem and attempt to fix it or you can insist that the problem is with everything and everybody but you.

Is it the market that stinks?

You say all the people that you talk to are cheap.

What kind of car do they drive?

What kind of house do they live in?

What kind of toys are in the driveway and garage?