Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

First Complaint of the season

Question

So I got this house washing job and deck staining. And I get the call yesterday that 'the side of the house with the green' - you know the infamous side of a home that spruce trees were growing next to and finally got cut down - and the whole side of a home with vinyl is green. Well - this was a borderline cheap customer, and now I got a complaint that there is a green 'cast' - but that you can't see it from up close, but from down the road when you are driving. Can you believe it?

So I called and told them I would hit it again for them no problem, what else am I suppose to do? And can you believe another professional low-balled this job? I've always gotten those 'green' sides perfectly clean - and I thought this time was no different. I will have to go and take a look.

I am thinking in the future of charging double my normal 'rate' for these green sides - if this is how it's going to be.

18 answers to this question

Dan , Great way to start the season !!!n Sorta like the Detroit Tigers !!I think the only call back I've had is on a house I tried to finish in the dark and it started to rain.

I went back and checked today - and I am literally stumped. I think I may buy one of those hose attachment house cleaners - and give that side a dousing, instead of a hauling a trailer for nothing. I swear to god some of these folks think it's all fun and games - that it's absolutely free for me haul a 1600lb trailer plus equipment. And I noticed it's the 'cheapos' too - they're the worst - they'll see stuff that isn't even there. My guess is that the sap/green stains on the north side protected the vinyl from oxidation - so with the right time of day and the sun hitting it right - you can probably see a difference in sheen. I looked this morning - literally stumped as to what they're seeing.

Sometimes you have to put the shoe on the other foot. I've been on the other end of this too, when I've "seen" something that the other guy didn't. I know he saw it. He knew it saw it. He just didn't want to make it "right." I'm not saying you're being like he was, I'm just saying sometimes there is "something" there. Just up your chems a bit and re-spray it. Then send them a letter letting them know you appreciate their calling to your attention something that you had missed. You take pride in your work and you respect those that bring it to your attention when something is overlooked. Offer them 10% off their next house-wash as a "thank you." You may think it's the "cheapos" that are always the most difficult to deal with--and that's normally true--but, those same "cheapos" will come back to you again and again if you make them feel appreciated and that they received excellent service. Next time they won't even mind paying a bit more for the peace of mind it brings knowing you care and they don't have worry about the job being done correctly.

That's what I think, but whatever floats your boat.

I went back and checked today - and I am literally stumped. I think I may buy one of those hose attachment house cleaners - and give that side a dousing, instead of a hauling a trailer for nothing. I swear to god some of these folks think it's all fun and games - that it's absolutely free for me haul a 1600lb trailer plus equipment. And I noticed it's the 'cheapos' too - they're the worst - they'll see stuff that isn't even there. My guess is that the sap/green stains on the north side protected the vinyl from oxidation - so with the right time of day and the sun hitting it right - you can probably see a difference in sheen. I looked this morning - literally stumped as to what they're seeing.

Dan, the most important part of the equation for success, after the marketing, the selling and all the bells and whistles is customer service. I cannot think of a single company that offers above and beyond customer service that is not highly successful. Look at every callback as an opportunity to show your level of commitment to your customers. That's the way you build a business. Everything else is just fluff.

Dan, the most important part of the equation for success, after the marketing, the selling and all the bells and whistles is customer service. I cannot think of a single company that offers above and beyond customer service that is not highly successful. Look at every callback as an opportunity to show your level of commitment to your customers. That's the way you build a business. Everything else is just fluff.

ahmen!!!!!

Daniel,

Next time, make sure you specify what your service will do in order to avoid any expectation beyond that.

Ex; Removes mildew and algae

Artillery/shotgun fungus will not be affected by this process.

Oxidation, Sap removal extra

These help to keep the customer in line and you from making unnecessary trips to attend to anything that can fall under the scope of the service.

Call backs can be an opportunity but there are times when the customer is just being a bit too picky about something. I look at it this way, if they don't maintain it on a regular basis, they have no right to complain because the problem got to a point that may not be reversible. That is neglect. You are not responsible for that, but you are responsible for setting the expectations so that you can avoid that call back in the first place.

Be specific about what you will perform and perform what you proposed. It takes additional time explaining upfront but is saves a great deal when you meet the expectations you have set.

Rod!~

Rod, thanks for the advice. I think if anything - you know those homes that have gone way too long between cleanings - and not matter how much you rinse - there is some 'stuff' that leaches out from behind the siding after you leave. I think that is what they may be complaining about.

Daniel,

Next time, make sure you specify what your service will do in order to avoid any expectation beyond that.

Ex; Removes mildew and algae

Artillery/shotgun fungus will not be affected by this process.

Oxidation, Sap removal extra

~

Does anyone use a proposal sheet to Identify what will be done to avoid something like this happening?

Just a note; 3 weeks ago, I helped a fellow contractor in my area and we did a home that was 3 stories high and had some difficult areas to reach (Ex. bottom of chimney where it connects to roof, among other areas)

We ended up discounted the price 100.00 as well as taking off all the screens before the clean and replacing them after the home was cleaned. We also had to take both of our rigs to have enough water to complete the job (driveway was included) He watched and pointed the whole time, but when we was finishing up on his driveway we ran out of water....needed about 200 gals at most to finish, he first said no, we could not hook up, offered him more discount to hook up saying that its cheaper than diesel, still no...I then explained we was hour away and hour before dark and he could either let us use it or come back next day which would mean his driveway left unrinsed, he finally choose to let us hookup to finish.

Got a call yesterday from my fellow contractor and the home owner called and said we missed a spot and one his screens has a hole in it, He is going to go back and check it out because it is his/our reputation at stake

Bottom line is we went over and beyond because we knew the type of customer he was going to be and it was still not enough

discounting a $100 was your first mistake. Customers that pay full boat ride either a.) don't complain like cheapos do, or b.) they pay so well, you don't mind doing extras or coming back for a few details.

Hindsite, we would have handled it a lot differantly.

I always hook up to the home's water supply. If my usage of their water is unreasonable to them, then I don't want the job.

he first said no, we could not hook up, offered him more discount to hook up saying that its cheaper than diesel, still no

I went back today and re-washed that wall - it wasn't 100%. And I did get it cleaner - still not sure it's 100% but I threw in some butyl as well into my mix. And brushed half the side in front of they guy. In the end he was a very satisfied customer. And now I can say that the vinyl hasn't aged because it was on the dark side and under 'green' - so it didn't have any UV discoloration - but now the trees are cut down and the side is clean - that will change. I am glad I went back and re-did it, even chatted with the guy for a half hour afterwards.

Congratulations, Dan. You just met your first repeat customer that will refer business to you for years. Good job on doing the right thing. Try to continuously get your focus away from products, lowballers and what others are doing and focus on the people. Its a guaranteed formula for success.

Try to continuously get your focus away from products, lowballers and what others are doing and focus on the people. Its a guaranteed formula for success.

Wall of Fame advice for any small, growing business. Write it in stone.