Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

First Mahogany deck restoration ever...

Question

Here are some pics of a mahogany deck restoration job that I got - I was a fish out of water doing this work. Ended up using wtw brown sugar. These are the before photos. Deck I believe was about 4 years old - house was built and deck stained for new homeowners.

post-1720-13777220455_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772204594_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772204635_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772204677_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772204729_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

thanks - btw, that mahogany drank the woodtux. It felt like a penetrating stain more than anything. I used 4 and half gallons of stain. I drenched the boards with a 4" china bristle staining mop - then after ten minutes dragged a lambswool applicator over the wood to 'even' up the stain. I had to hand brush all the railings and posts - had to cut round all those metal spindles. Took forever.

It was totally stripped. I had a worker go over the floorboards with a portercable heavy duty orbital sander with 60 grit. If anything - some spots may have got missed - all the boards were cupped and really hard to sand evenly. I didn't even have to sand the boards really - just did it as an extra. But there was nothing left.

Daniel,

Nice, I really like red mahogany. Starting a pretty big mahogany - cedar job on Monday that has to be stripped of multiple layers of Aussie oil. Thinking of paying Diamond Jim a consulting fee for the most effective stripper mix.

It would be worth it 'cause I know this is going to be a tough one...

Top 'o the morning, Ken.

Looked into downstreaming stripper last year but concluded that could not get a "hot" enough mix that we need for many jobs. We do not "clean" wood with NaOH, so a light mix would be of no use.

Went over the M-jet with ACR Tom this spring for possible use in applying citric acid. Pretty much came to the same conclusion, just cannot mix strong enough to get the correct ratio on the wood.

We'll start the above Aussie oil strip with 8 oz./gal. of NaOH, 8 oz. liquid/gal. of 633-ADD booster, and some thickening agent. The hard part will be the balustrade. Getting Aussie oil out of cedar can be a chore.

Mornin' Rick.. 80% of our strip jobs are down via downstreaming. With the right chems and equipment setup, it works. When I update you on Monday for the other thing, I'll share what works for us. The only thing downstreamed chem doesn't work well on is solids and heavy acrylic/alkyd blends.

Rick - I downstreamed that deck - and it had a really nasty thick film forming arylic based stain on it. The stripper as applied was only like 1oz. of HD-80 per gallon. Totally stripped the deck clean - it was the addition of glycol and nonylphenol surfactant that really saved the day. The technique is different. You flood a deck as long as you can possibly stand it with water - and then downstream your stripper everywhere - and let it dry - reapply, and check for when finish is emulsified - then you can begin a an easy strip. Downstreaming floods wood so much you don't need as a high a concentration. And the method of letting stripper dry as talked about by Rod - really works wonders.