Sign in to follow this  
YVPW

Osborne Brush Supplier

Question

Just wanted to see if anyone had a good distributor for the flat bristled 6" 80 grit Osborne's? I have always bought the round bristled from McMaster Carr for around 40 some dollars. I had always wanted to try the flat bristled, but wasn't willing to pay the ridiculous price they want from some of the log home stores. For the ones who have used both, Is there that much of a difference between the 2 different style bristles?

16 answers to this question

Beth, those are the brushes I currently use. I'm looking for the square bristle Osbornes. Some websites say they are more aggressive. Anyone used both and notice a difference?

What Osbornes does everyone use and where do you get them? I guess I'm gonna have to get a square bristled Osborne and find out if it's better. Only thing is the places I've seen to buy them want a high price for them.

We've used both, and there's very little difference in aggressiveness. There is a big difference in price however, so my advice would be to stick with the ones from McMaster-Carr, as they are substantially less expensive than the ones you can get at the Log Home Store, for example. The square bristle one's may last a bit longer, but it's nominal.

Why exactly do you need a more aggressive brush? The round bristle ones kick butt, and unless you're trying to actually sand the surface, I don't see the need.

I'm feeling a little silly. What exactly are you using them for. Maybe it should be obvious to me, but oh well. I'll go get my helmut and ride the short bus.

Chemical stripping leaves the wood fuzzy like crushed velvet.

Buffing helps to alleviate them and make the wood smooth again.

The square bristled version will leave the wood scarred more than the round version.

This makes it harder to get rid of the marks and creates more time to correct the situation in my opinion.

Rod!~

I use the square bristled versions from the LHS. Someone (Fife maybe) told me to steer clear of the round ones. I hate the weight of the polisher and those brushes. I wish Dan Tambasco would invent something that would make defurring spindles easier.

I use the square bristled versions from the LHS. Someone (Fife maybe) told me to steer clear of the round ones. I hate the weight of the polisher and those brushes. I wish Dan Tambasco would invent something that would make defurring spindles easier.

Have never had a problem with any Osborne brush we have used. I personally like the 3M pads too but they do have their limitations. BUT....on decent wood they are more lightweight. On nasty wood, forget it - they tear.

Beth

Have never had a problem with any Osborne brush we have used.

Beth

Other than getting in between spindles which nothing I have found yet accomplishes.

I've used the pads and they are okay for what they are. Like you said, Beth, they tear and leave residue.

Walnut hull blast media? Years ago I had a customer go on a two month vacation - and I had to strip 150 yr trim down to bare wood and start back up again - I blasted all the doors, mouldings, baseboards, and crown moulding with walnut hulls.

Heck you could even use the wet blasting attachment for pressure washers and blast it the same day you wash it - LOL!