Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

Artillery Fungus Removal

Question

Just wondering if anyone is offering artillery fungus removal as a part of their services? It can be removed without damaging the surface, but it takes a very detailed and targeted approach, was debating on throwing out an add or two to see what response I would get and was wondering if anyone here does it at all. I flat rate everything in the normal realm of the pressure washing business but seeing how this is somewhat different method than washing I figured to charge $20-$30 an hour for this service with a two hour minimum fee. I've seen this stuff so bad that I'm sure someone would get it done, and then remove the mulch and go with stone. Would only have to be done once.

Jeff

95 answers to this question

I would also love to know since there are a lot of incidents of it in the North East and no one knows how to get it off. Also make sure you charge a lot for a service that no one can provide. If you want I will sell a job in CT for 200.00 per hour if you can do it. Have a condo project with a lot of it all over. Heard stories that some houses have had to be resided due to some much damage, but have only seen some scatered AF on a house so far.

if you can get the spore head off which in most cases you can its just time consuming and a pain in the but .... the sticky part will come off with diesel fuel... but be careful you dont want this all over your customers siding .... good luck if you dare

I have foamed a 4X strength NaOH product (roof magic 4x) onto Artillery fungus, let it dwell 10 minutes (foam helped it stick) then in a pump up sprayer, sprayed oxalic acid on it....then followed with my m5 xjet.....90% of it was gone.

20 minutes of my life to learn that I can scrub a dot off vinyl. With 5 pages of hype, I expected a spray and rinse solution.

Please go to "my controls" and complete your signature. House Rules.

Not being able to fully clean a customer's home is rather embarrassing - even if it "can't be done". I recall figuring out how to clean the rubber gaskets around a garage door, and how to properly clean gutter streaks, or remove rust stains. Now that there appears to be a remedy for artillery fungus, I look forward to the day that I can say "remember when...". Jeff, if it truly works, you will earn my vote for the Nobel!

By the way, while AF most commonly appears around wood mulch, I have seen cases of AF around stone, grass and trees. I have spoken with the Virginia Tech Ag Extension (They don't know how to remove it!) as well as some "experts" and the recommendation is the application of a fungicide in the affected area as well as turning over the mulch.

What's the trick to clean the weatherseal around garage doors? I only come across that a few times, but it frustrates me when it won't come clean.

I have found it on my truck (which is parked on some mulch, near some bushes) and the quickest way for me to remove is with an old credit card. Pops them off and doesn't cost me a thing!

Somebody will make millions of dollars if they ever come up with a chemical to remove it without destroying the siding. I got it on the trunk lid of my Triumph (the red car in my avatar) and had to have it repainted. They just don't come off.