Sign in to follow this  

What would you charge?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What would you charge?

Question

POLL INFO

Deck Size = 1500 sq ft

I spent about 6 hours cleaning and brightening this deck. I am going to stain it with wood tux brown cedar and will post pictures to show my results. I will also report my stain coverage rate for informational purposes. Deck restoration and staining is definitely fun for me and I want any comments or suggestions as I have no other form of feedback on the quality of my work since I work alone.

HPIM0152Resized.pngHPIM0167Resized.pngHPIM0158Resized.pngHPIM0157Resized.pngHPIM0165Resized.pngHPIM0163Resized.png

Edited by stefvell

13 answers to this question

It looks like you've got a great start. I can't wait to see the final pics.

How big is the deck?

Thanks Greg...I will definitely be updating with pics and comments on the job. This will be my first wood tux job and I am anxious to see if my techniques work. I will be applying with a 12" truck brush on horizontals and sherwin williams 5" stain brushes on the verticals. I may spray a bit of the verticals to get the stain into the nooks and crannies and then just blend with the brush. Kind of playing it by ear!

The deck is about 1500 square feet. I didn't measure too carefully...lol! I just walked it off and counted 4 sqft for rails and stairs.

HPIM0104.jpg

Go buy a rolling wheel and measure! I think you are a little long on the measurement.

Using a measuring tool makes you look professional to the Home Owner and builds confidence in your figures as being accurate instead of a # pulled out your behind.

The money you spend now will help you make much more later.

My .02

Rod!~

Yeah...a wheel would be nice. You can't see the ramp in the rear, and two full flights of stairs that lead up to the deck on each side.

By the way...I didn't pull it out of my behind!!! I walked it off. Wheel sure does look fancy though.

Don't forget to upsale PW'ing that retaining wall and steps!!!! Looks like a quick 50.00-60.00 there with no extra effort which will help cover your chems / brushes, tarps, ect..cost. Use the same chems to clean it WHILE spraying (stripping) the deck, F18-HD80,,,never missing a step or changing chems. Just walk down there and spray it too...Almost too easy...Pay for ALL your chems cost right there...They don't have to know it's only about 5 more min of your time. Your there anyway, equipment, chems already set up. Pays for gas, chems or whatever you want to call it. It's 50.00-60.00 profit for 5 min of your time. Always look for the upsale.

Do a walk through with them and mention while looking at the deck from that cam angle,,"A clean retaining wall and steps there (while pointing) would make that deck REALLY POP!" "I could do that for oh..60.00" Let them drop you to 50.00 if they ask and the'll think they got a deal.

Good luck.

What cities do you service stephano? You trying to do more decks or stick to PWing?

Raleigh, Cary and Wake Forest. I will travel further for a high $ job though. I am trying to do decks because I enjoy it a lot more. I would love any work that presents itself though as this is only my 3rd month in business. By the way...nice business you got going there. I like your website and wish you the best.

If you need honest help give me a call anytime.

By the way...I didn't pull it out of my behind!!! I walked it off.

Just for clarification, I didn't mean that you did but customer perceptions.

The wheel may look fancy but I get more compliments for using one than anything else because it looks professional. Besides, it gives the curious and bothersome kids something to play with while I am writing up the proposal. They roll it all over the place and watch the numbers go up. This has broke the ice with many clients too. It's a tool that has helped in more ways than one.

Considering trying to measure the deck in your pics with a tape would be tedious. I actually lost one in a pool when the recoil from the tape rewinding twisted it out of my hand and had me fumbling to catch it before it went 'splash!' right in front of them. Fortunately, they had a net to fish it out with, still it didn't set well with them.

Talk about an embarrassing moment!

Rod!~