Sign in to follow this  
FLORIN

Tme between strip and neutralizing?

Question

I have a fence clean/strip that I am doing that I have scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. My shipment of oxalic is late and will not reach me in time to neutralizze after stripping. Is there an issue with applying the oxalic the day after or it has to be just after the strip?

Normally I apply right after, and of course its not cost affective to have to go back to job to neutralize but would not like to have to call the customer and reschedule and would not like to waste time that could have been used for stripping.

11 answers to this question

I have to play the responsibility card on this one. I'm sure you don't want the responsibility for anyone getting exposed to your chemicals. It may be dry in the mean time but what about rain, sprinklers etc. and Pets and other animals that may happen upon the area.

If you can't neutralize it right after, wait till you can and do it in one trip. It is the responsible thing to do.

Rod!~

Thanks. ended up rescheduling. Now for future reference..... applying the neutralizer day after does not affect the quality of work correct? its just the safety issues of leaving the caustic out.

Please tell me how it will make the wood fuzzyer? Neutralization works better as the wood gets toward 20 % moisture so more acid gets into the wood. Most people do it right after stripping and the wood is to wet and it only effects the top of the wood. You can make the stripper stop working by a good rinsing and a good rain will help the situation. I have never had a problem and this has happen to me several times where I didn't neutralize until the next day ( nofuzballs) either.

I'll agree with Jim on this one. It's not cost effective to do it on separate trips, but I think it works better. You can use a much lighter dilution of OX on dry wood vs. wet. Outcome will be the same. As far as furring, my experience says that it's completely dependent on your stripper strength and pressure used when washing, not the Oxalic.

Please tell me how it will make the wood fuzzyer? Neutralization works better as the wood gets toward 20 % moisture so more acid gets into the wood. Most people do it right after stripping and the wood is to wet and it only effects the top of the wood. You can make the stripper stop working by a good rinsing and a good rain will help the situation. I have never had a problem and this has happen to me several times where I didn't neutralize until the next day ( nofuzballs) either.

If he were to apply the stripper, then leave it and not wash and it stayed wet for a long time or was reactivated by light rain, or morning dew or whatever, then the stripper would continue to work and you would have a very fuzzie deck. If he washes it's another scenario altogether. I probably should have clarified that better. :)

Beth :cup: :groovy3:

Agreed. Many jobs we wait a day or even more to neutralize and brighten. This has never been a problem. As long as the stripper is rinsed off very well.

Much rather acid dry wood than wet. For many reasons.