Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Inhaled Sodium Hydroxide fumes?

Question

Hey Everyone,

I know I am going to catch some grief from this question, but I am one of those knuckle heads that has to learn the hard way. I have been Pwashing for about 4 years now, and haven't had any exposure issues, until yesterday. I was cleaning a porch and single car garage. The porch had glue resin from outdoor carpet, and the garage had old oil stains. I used F18 to assist me in my cleaning.

During my time cleaning the garage, I could smell the Sodium Hydroxide, and it made me cough a couple of times, but didn't really seem like that big of a deal. Garage door was open and I was only in it for about 10 minutes.

A few hours later, I have sinus congestion, sore throat, body ache and a low grade fever. It has continued into today. Do you think my symptoms are from the exposure, or have I caught a bug? Anybody inhaled Sodium Hydroxide and have simular symptoms?

Thanks for your time!

21 answers to this question

Man if your having any breathing issues after playing with this stuff go to the Doctor or ER. If grandma has an O2 machine I'd be hitting it myself for a few hours. Don't lay down flat sit up. If fluid is building up you can drown. If chest starts getting tight / hard to breath go to ER right then dont wait. Watch lips and fingernails,,if dis colored or turning "blue" call EMS.

RJ,

I hope you have the MSDS for the F18 with you to take to the doctor. Yes these symptoms can be due to the inhalation of Sodium Hydroxide. The irritation to your sinus passages, throat and lung tissues can be causing the low grade fever as your body tries to combat the irritation damage. Please consult a doctor as soon as you can before you get any kind of infection in these tissues. We handle the raw material and mixed formulation all the time and we never play with even a possible exposure. We send our employees to the doc. It would be much better for him to tell you that it is just a cold. I don't want to alarm but just want you to be safe and healthy.

Just realized your LEO, you must know one of the chicky poo's or Doc over at the ER. Call over there or do a drive by. They'll take care of you off the books normally, let you suck alittle O2 if thats all you need. Or hit your favorite FD / EMS station for some covert O2. If you haven't killed yourself thats prob all you need. They'll get a kick out of it for future storys to tell on ya.

Go see a DR. Make SURE they know what you inhaled, take the MSDS with you, and I'm willing to bet you end up with an antibiotic.

And forgive the lecture - but next time and every time after that - WEAR YOUR RESPIRATOR!!!

Beth

Welcome to the burned lung club.

It has happened to me a couple of times from SH and once from SHC.I'm in the end stages of teh last round from Sh.Keep in mind it will take as long as 2 months to fully recover.Get a repirator and use.

Took everyones advice, and went to the doctor this afternoon. He said that I have Strep Throat, and put me on antibotics. He didn't think that I had chemical exposure.

Thanks for everyones replies!

Took everyones advice, and went to the doctor this afternoon. He said that I have Strep Throat, and put me on antibotics. He didn't think that I had chemical exposure.

Had a Doctor disbelieve Rod once. Two days later I had him to another Dr. who LISTENED and treated him correctly. You know what you were exposed to. It's good you are on antibiotics. The respiratory burns can cause infection and fever to say the least. Make sure you get the correct respirator, and use it. Change the cartridges frequently.

Get well soon!

Beth

Warning. Politically and medically incorrect response.

AFAIK, Strep Throat has nothing in common with NaOH mist exposure. I personally stopped using a respirator years ago due to the sweat and uncomfort in the heat of the summer.

The wind usually does blow from a primary direction. When spaying NaOH, try and stay above wind. If the fog comes your way, breathe through the nose, and just get out of the way. Common sense goes a long way.

But then again, I smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day. A little sodium hydroxide is nothing. Still kicking, if anyone here is listening tell Judy I want to be buried in an active volcano.

Warning. Politically and medically incorrect response.

AFAIK, Strep Throat has nothing in common with NaOH mist exposure. I personally stopped using a respirator years ago due to the sweat and uncomfort in the heat of the summer.

The wind usually does blow from a primary direction. When spaying NaOH, try and stay above wind. If the fog comes your way, breathe through the nose, and just get out of the way. Common sense goes a long way.

But then again, I smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day. A little sodium hydroxide is nothing. Still kicking, if anyone here is listening tell Judy I want to be buried in an active volcano.

You are a bad influence, you know that?

Beth

You are a bad influence, you know that?

Beth

Beth,

That is my job in life. Ask my poor helper, Chris. He is 20 yrs. old going on 45 after two seasons with me. Some one has to teach the young' uns.

I had that once after a long day of heavy stripping. Didnt see the connection at first but I had a killer sore throat. Just drank tons of water and cough drops seemed to do the trick. Probably was from the fumes

I wish I could say I wear the mask 24/7 but I don't really notice the stripper much?? I think maybe the mist is heavier so it doesn't interfere with my breathing too much. Oxalic cloud can be way worse so Ill pull the mask out for neutralizing

Maybe they are no fun, but the respirator is a must in some situations.

Safety 1st.

What was up with that wacked out post you had before changing it? You sounded like an insane crack head.

What was up with that wacked out post you had before changing it? You sounded like an insane crack head.

I was hoping no one saw that....

My computer is going nuts, that one was supposed to be in the thread about automotive finishes..... I dunno what happened.

I gave up on that post, didn't even go back and put it in the right thread.

Did look like I lost me marbles, huh?

Could be some logic in the strep thing since people regularly have strep or staph locked up deep in the sinus. Get things going in there with a caustic or bleach burn and who knows. I can tell you that one time my nose got busted up real deep and then pretty soon after over the next year or so I had a couple of horrible skin boils down under in the neck and chest area. I mean yea stress can cause such also but I consider it just too coincidental.

I've lost most of my teeth, and the ability to father children, but other than that, I haven't really noticed many issues with exposure.

I've lost most of my teeth, and the ability to father children, but other than that, I haven't really noticed many issues with exposure.

Heavy oxalic user.

Well Everyone,

I feel much better today. I forgot to mention in my last post, that the doctor said that the exposure probably intensified the effects of the strep throat. I will wear a mask from now on when I am in an unventilated area. I have always tried to stay upwind of the fumes, and haven't had a problem.

Are the effects of inhaled exposures to NaOh and SH similar?