Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

What Size ShurFlo

I was just wondering what size Shurflo pump you guys use. Basically of the 12 volt type I see they range from 1.2 gpm to 3.6 gpm and from 45 psi to 150 psi. Is the psi all that important or is it more the gpm's? I see that the Flojet's go from 1.2 gpm to 4.5 gpm and from 40 psi to 100 psi. Is Shurflo better then Flojet?

Selecting the right pump is dependant on your application. If you are truck mounting, and running 200' of hose, then 100+ psi may be most appropriate. If you are cart mounting with less hose, then 40-60psi may be most appropriate.

I can say that too much pressure while spraying chems can make it tough to control.

I agree with Tony's statements.

I would also add that for new construction brick cleaning you need

to keep the pressure under 60psi to keep from having the acid penetrate

deeply into the brick...

Also, as you increase your pump size, it will draw more amps (juice)

from your battery. Going from a 1gpm to a 2 gpm for example will decrease your time between charges on the same battery.

As for Shurflo or Flojet being better:

I have always used Shurflo and have not tried Flojet.

I have at least 2 Shurflo pumps that have functioned for 3 years plus

even after being unknowingly stored with corrosives (sodium hydroxide)

over winter. In otherwords, I have not found a reason to change brands.

You also need to give material of construction due consideration. If you are planning on running strong acids through your pump, get a pump without a screw in the fluid path, and get viton o rings. These cost a tad more than the version you quoted, and specs are limited ( I believe max flow is 1.6 gpm).

Not impressed with the output through 200' of 3/8" polybraided hose...I'm getting around 1gpm...On the other hand, others I've talked to who use this much hose say to expect a good bit of volume loss. Not having using any other 12v pumps, I can't really say if the flojet works as well, better, or worse.

I still have to do some tweaking to the system when I have time...I need a larger tank and am also re-plumbing it to make it easier to flush with water.

What is the best gpm and psi for a setup with 200' of hose? I am trying to plan a surflo setup that will primarily be used for applying chem to roofs. Any input would be great.

Lance

What is the application?

Running laterally for 200' will result only in frictional losses. If you have any elevation (like roofs), you will have to also take into account the head created by the change in height and how much pressure you will need to overcome it. If you are going too high, you may have to stage it with multiple pumps. I'm putting together some designs right now for myself to use in cleaning roofs, so let me know your uses/thoughts/questions, and I'll let you know what i come up with. Hopefully you will have some questions I may not have yet considered.

Ryan H.

Ryan,

The application is roof cleaning.

May of the guys in Fl. use a shur-flo type pump set up to put chemicals on roofs.200' seems to be the average amount most of the guys have on the rigs for roofs.

Could you have two pumps inline, and achieve a higher gpm and psi? I have a 4.5gpm pump and only get 1gpm, maybe, on the roof through 200' of hose. If I were to add, say, another 3.0 gpm pump, would that increase the gpm I'm getting at the end of the hose on the roof?

Ryan,

I assume that question and response was directed to me. I am trying to put together a surflo system for appling chem to roofs. The problem is I am not sure of the Psi or gpm that would be appropriate for that application. I can say that I do plan to use a either a 20 gallon or 30 gallon drum as the chem source and that it will be truck mounted. Other than that, I am in the dark.

Mike,

Are you using yours primarely for roof application? Is the amount of pressure and the estimated one gpm that you are getting enough to give you good results? Also, how many gallons of chem and at what dillution are you avereging for a 1500 to 2000 sq ft house?

Right now I'm using 12v Sureflows rated at 1.4gpm @60psi, & 1.0gpm @ 60psi. I have 50 feet of 3/8" Goodyear hose attached. I do many, many two story decks, and at about 14 feet up, the pressure and flow is still adequate. However, often times the lance has to be lower in order for the pump to prime. A squeeze pump bulb attached in-line would resolve that issue however.

Also, I use a high power deep cycle marine battery that provides a lot of cca for extended periods of time, which keeps the pumps whirring for many hours.

The 1.0 gpm is rated to draw 6 amps, and the 1.4gpm is rated to draw 7 amps. At that rate, it is important to have a battery appropriately sized for the job. That's why I went with a big honkin' marine battery.

The only problems I've ever had with a sureflow in three years of usage, is the pressure switch going bad. And that's easy to replace. Otherwise, no problems whatsoever, and I run HD80, citric acid, bleach, and whatever else needs to be sprayed.

As far as I've known, a surflow with viton seals is the same regardless of who you buy it from, at whatever price. That is, unless it is a remanufactured unit, although I've not seen one sold that way.