Sign in to follow this  
Bennyhonda

Modding a hose reel.

I bought a set of used cox hose reels* last week and I've got two issues. (*Actually a Reelcraft reel rated at 1000 psi with 1/2 ports)

Anyone ever try to swap out the fluid path fittings and swivel on these to match your higher hose/psi demands?

(I've never seen the internals of a hose reel and don't know if this is possible)

Edited by Bennyhonda

I bought a set of used cox hose reels last week and I've got two issues.

The first is that the reel is rated for 3k and my machine puts out close to 4k.

Secondly, they're both setup for 3/8 hose and I'd like to use one for my 3/4 supply hose.

Anyone ever try to swap out the fluid path fittings and swivel on these to match your hose/psi demands?

(I've never seen the internals of a hose reel and don't know if this is possible)

Does ths hose reel have a brass swivel with a snap ring?

I made a bit of a mistake. It's a Reelcraft reel and it specs at 1000 psi max with 1/2 inch inlet/outlet and fluid path. Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesnt make much above a 3000psi swivel...

I dont have the reel in front of me to answer the question about the swivel but I'll see take a look at it in the next few days.

I made a bit of a mistake. It's a Reelcraft reel and it specs at 1000 psi max with 1/2 inch inlet/outlet and fluid path. Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesnt make much above a 3000psi swivel...

I dont have the reel in front of me to answer the question about the swivel but I'll see take a look at it in the next few days.

Not true...they can be ordered with Super Swivels (5,000 psi), or retrofitted with them. I sell Reelcraft.

So if I decided to retrofit to a higher psi, what would all have to be changed on the reel? Part numbers would be extremely helpful as would the estimated cost to swap out. They're both model EA32118 L12D's.

I have cox reels on one of my rigs which are 3000psi max.I'm using them with 4000psi machine . After 5 years of use ( just cold water in these ) they are doing fine.

I bought a set of used cox hose reels last week and I've got two issues.

The first is that the reel is rated for 3k and my machine puts out close to 4k.

Secondly, they're both setup for 3/8 hose and I'd like to use one for my 3/4 supply hose.

Anyone ever try to swap out the fluid path fittings and swivel on these to match your hose/psi demands?

I just purchased a pressure gauge and discovered my 3500psi machine is running at 2-2500. That means I'm getting around 11,000 Effective Cleaning Units @ 5.5gpm. If I were to set the psi to the correct setting of 3500, I'd have 19,250 ECU's. It's true that I dont need that high of psi to clean most surfaces but it would cut down the time it takes to clean wouldnt it? All of my nozzles were bought for a 3500psi machine as well.

Anyway, it looks like adding a higher psi swivel would be easy and I'll check on the fluid path pipe to see if it's schedule 80. Thanks for all the tips.

Don't worry about the cleaning units (cu's) as nobody really talks about that stuff (mostly in the selling of the units and marketing).

Most concrete you will find will not take more than 3000psi to clean and if you have contractors like in my area, you are lowering your pressure to compensate for the low quality concrete so you don't blast it all away or shave the cream off the top.

Your unloader might be the reason for the low pressure or it could be the seals/packings need to be replaced. Call Russ and talk to him about that.

Sounds like that swivel can be changed out to be a pressure hose reel if you buy the retro-kit he sells.

One thing to think about is if you ever run into low-pressure or low-flow water supply issues? If so, you might think about using that hose reel for the supply because sometimes when you get a hose reel from a shop, they use the 3/8" for everything so that is restricting your flow some and might make a big difference in how you operate.

You don't know how much I hate the term "Cleaning Units" It is a complete and total misnomer. If I had to choose between 11,000 cleaning units with and a machine a 5.5 and 2000 psi, vs. a machine at 3.5 gpm at 3500 psi, I could move far more trash at the higher volume of water and the lower pressure. It would just be Far and away more effective to clean that way.

As for the reel, you do need to check the rating of teh water path. That reel could, and would have been a bit derated because of the swivel. It is always rated for the weakest part of the reel.

Russ, not trying to hijack the thread but I bought a rig last year and it has an electric reel with 1/2" hose for roof washing. It is a Hannay Hose Reel but it is the cage design, not the U'shape like on the Bandit and has the guide rollers on both sides and top and bottom.

Do you think that this can be used for high pressure by just changing out the swivel or do you think this class of swivel is ready?

Later I will look up the Maker and model. Here is a picture.

Thanks.

post-471-137772235457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christopher