Sign in to follow this  
clean streak

bleach before paint

Question

I had a painting contractor come to me and he needs a wood building washed before he re-paints it. The building has t-111 wood siding it is already painted grey from a few years ago. the shady sides have some mold so i was wondering if i can x-jet bleach (house wash mix) onto it and rinse it off just like i would a house. I know it will remove the mold, but can you use bleach before repainting or will it cause problems? thanks

16 answers to this question

Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure that you rinse it VERY well. If you leave any bleach residue (or any other residue) on the house, it could cause problems with the paint's ability to properly adhere to the surface.

You may want to use some TSP (trisodium phosphate) in your mix. This will help dull the surface and is a good prep cleaner before painting.

I am sure Henry can give you more specifics on this.

Dale,

Where is a good place to buy TSP? It may be from a lack of looking, but I don't recall ever seeing a bottle or can of the stuff. Many people have said it's good stuff.

Ryan H.

Dale,

Where is a good place to buy TSP? It may be from a lack of looking, but I don't recall ever seeing a bottle or can of the stuff. Many people have said it's good stuff.

Ryan H.

It can be bought at any paint store, Lowes, Walmart etc.

My question is they now have it phosphate free. The Ol' Timers say don't use it. What is the difference or is there?

Dale,

Ryan H.

Any hardware type store. It comes in powder form and the directions are on the sideof the box.

As far as using the phosphate free, I dont know.

The phosphate issue I believe regards the effects the discharge has in rivers and lakes. I think the original gist was aimed at laundry detergent, because just imagine how much laundy is done, and what all the soapy discharge does as it goes into the sanitary. The removal of phosphate was for environmental reasons.

In some locales, at one time, the sanitary and storm sewers intermixed, and much ended up in the water. Most cities have been required to fully separate the sewers by the feds.

If you can't find TSP locally, check out the chemistrystore.com for your raw chemical needs.

Rod here

You can use EFC-38, it has TSP in the formulation...also you can add a 1/4 cup of bleach/gal to handle the mildew/algae

I also use the new clorox "Outdoor Bleach" It contains oxidizers and buffers which help to break down the chlorine into salts so that there is less residue to contend with when rinsing...just thought I would share...

:seeya:

I though the same thing about the precarbs, but I am also interested in where to by the Clorox Outdoor Bleach. I haven't found it anywhere....

hey Tony,

This is my understanding from the manufacturer of EFC-38 that you can add bleach to his formulation to help with the mildew/algae. Just make sure you add the bleach AFTER you have mixed the efc-38 into water. Use this on siding only, not on wood btw.

Rod~

Rod,

I looked at an MSDS sheet for pure sodium percarbonate, and it states to not mix oxidizers with sodium percarbonate. Isn't bleach considered an oxidiser? Since efc38 is 50% sodium percarbonate, I assumed that the same statement would apply.

Where is professor Paul when you need him?

Clorox Outdoor Bleach is available at The Home Depot and Lowes definitely, and possibly at some other places (I haven't checked them). Comes in 196 oz jugs (I think I have that value right) at a cost of around $6 or $7. Seems pretty effective at a 10:1 ratio. 2 of these containers is plenty to do an average 2500 sq. ft vinyl siding house.