Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

Funny burner story and a lesson for us all...

Ok...are you ready for this one? A few days ago, I'm using hot water on a concrete job when I notice a big puff of white smoke from the burner and all of sudden I'm getting no flame...I was nearly done, so I completed the job with cold water. I'm not the handiest guy in the world, but I took a crack at opening the casing and cleaning some of the debris out of the burner. The next day, I have another concrete job and the burner seems to be working fine. After 10 minutes, there's a big puff of white smoke and again there's no flame... There wasn't any gum, so I washed with cold and used some chems to finish up the job. I had a few days of washing homes and not needing hot water, so I didn't think much about it. I needed hot water again today, so I got on the phone with my distributor and had him walk me through some basics to fix the burner. I checked the ignition and it was REALLY clean, no carbon build up or anything. I opened the casing and there was no debris. At this point, I am covered in soot and completely exasperated. I've got several commercial jobs coming up and I begin to freak a little...I then notice that my fuel filter (which is clear) is BONE dry...my first thought is that the fuel line is clogged so I get the tools I need to take the fuel line off and check for a clog. The minute I touch the screwdriver to the screw it dawns on my dumb a$$ that I may be out of diesel. I check the tank and BINGO...I'm out...So now, I'm covered in soot, exasperated, pissed off, and feeling like a total moron...LOL. I add diesel and voila, everything is right as rain. Turns out that on the first job, I ran out of gas and the white smoke was the burner sputtering in it's final gas-starved throes...the next job, I was parked on an incline so I had enough diesel to get through 10 minutes before I sputtered again. Even after I saw the empty fuel filter, my mind went immediately to "clogged" instead of "empty".

I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes we "overthink" things...more often than not it's the simple things that cause us problems. My intent in posting this is to save someone else the same aggravation. All in all it was pretty darn funny...

Ha makes us all feel good!!!

I thinks somewhere along the way everybody has done this to something or the other!!!

Bet you'll think of it the next time!!!

Good luck!!

Hey the same thing happened to me, kind of. I had diesel in the tank though, but was parked on an incline and the pickup was on the dry end of the tank. My wife pointed it out to me. DUH!!

Ok...are you ready for this one? A few days ago, I'm using hot water on a concrete job when I notice a big puff of white smoke from the burner and all of sudden I'm getting no flame...I was nearly done, so I completed the job with cold water. I'm not the handiest guy in the world, but I took a crack at opening the casing and cleaning some of the debris out of the burner. The next day, I have another concrete job and the burner seems to be working fine. After 10 minutes, there's a big puff of white smoke and again there's no flame... There wasn't any gum, so I washed with cold and used some chems to finish up the job. I had a few days of washing homes and not needing hot water, so I didn't think much about it. I needed hot water again today, so I got on the phone with my distributor and had him walk me through some basics to fix the burner. I checked the ignition and it was REALLY clean, no carbon build up or anything. I opened the casing and there was no debris. At this point, I am covered in soot and completely exasperated. I've got several commercial jobs coming up and I begin to freak a little...I then notice that my fuel filter (which is clear) is BONE dry...my first thought is that the fuel line is clogged so I get the tools I need to take the fuel line off and check for a clog. The minute I touch the screwdriver to the screw it dawns on my dumb a$$ that I may be out of diesel. I check the tank and BINGO...I'm out...So now, I'm covered in soot, exasperated, pissed off, and feeling like a total moron...LOL. I add diesel and voila, everything is right as rain. Turns out that on the first job, I ran out of gas and the white smoke was the burner sputtering in it's final gas-starved throes...the next job, I was parked on an incline so I had enough diesel to get through 10 minutes before I sputtered again. Even after I saw the empty fuel filter, my mind went immediately to "clogged" instead of "empty".

I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes we "overthink" things...more often than not it's the simple things that cause us problems. My intent in posting this is to save someone else the same aggravation. All in all it was pretty darn funny...

I cannot imagine anyone would do such a foolish thing. However, it is possible to put gas in the dsl tank. It is also possible to put dsl in the gas tank.

However, it is possible to put gas in the dsl tank. It is also possible to put dsl in the gas tank.

I can't imagine anyone would do such a foolish thing!!!!:):o