Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

can AC Rustic Brown be toned down?

Question

It looks like I will be applying the Rustic Brown next week. The HO is making their mind up now but when I left they were leaning towards the RB. From what I have seen the RB looked nice but I really didn't want to use such a heavy/dark color.

Has anyone mixed anything different other than the "Siera Rustic". I was thinking about a 50/50 mix of Rustic Brown and the Natural clear to get a "watered down" version of the brown.

27 answers to this question

From what I understand, you can use the clear to dilute it to some extent.

I will let Jake Clark confirm or correct if I am wrong.

Rod!~

I know it can be done this way for a maintenance coat but I was wondering about how it would look on the original finish.

Anyone tried any other combinations with the Rustic Brown?

Tony, You would want to use Natural so you have some uv in the mat. over clear. I dont have any pics but I have mixed Nat. & Rustic brown semi together for a sample & its a nice tranpsparent brown tone. Ive done Cedar transp. & rustic semi & it has a bronze tone. I wish I had those to show you but I didnt think to take a pic before I gave them to the cust. & didnt get them back.

Tony, You would want to use Natural so you have some uv in the mat. over clear. I dont have any pics but I have mixed Nat. & Rustic brown semi together for a sample & its a nice tranpsparent brown tone. Ive done Cedar transp. & rustic semi & it has a bronze tone. I wish I had those to show you but I didnt think to take a pic before I gave them to the cust. & didnt get them back.

Thanks. I think I might have a little left of the samples and might go out to mix it in the morning. The Cedar/Rustic sounds like it may work. Did you do a 50/50 mix or what combination worked for you?

:rolleyes2

Oh well. I was actually looking forward to the Cedar/Rustic but the HO just called and it seems women of the house (mother and wife) decided on the Sequoia Semi-Solid! This is after he told me today they didn't want a red and thought the solid stains didn't look good.

He also wants a sample to look at for going two-tone with Sequoia on the deck with white railings and accents.

I didn't quite know what to say. Anyone ever do a red and white deck? :(

As I understand the AC products, any and all colors can be mixed - except for the clear. The Transparent can be mixed with the semi and the semi-solid...but nothing can be mixed with the clear. Double check, but this is what I was told by AC.

As I understand the AC products, any and all colors can be mixed - except for the clear. The Transparent can be mixed with the semi and the semi-solid...but nothing can be mixed with the clear. Double check, but this is what I was told by AC.

This is my understanding as well

Yes, talked to Jake today (great service by the way) and all of the stains can be mixed. There is no longer a clear offered so all of the stains are mixable together.

I dropped off an alternative sample to the Sequoia tonight and waiting for a response. I ended up with about 3 alternatives but found one that I liked a lot and was hoping to sell them on the change.

My choice is Rustic (2)/ Natural (2)/ Sequoia (1) and ended up with a nice redish brown that is closer to a semi-transparent.

Edited by Tonyg

Just thought I would update this. The Sequoia turned out better than I thought it would. My samples are on new PT and it comes out very much like a solid but on the old deck it showed much more of the grain and looked pretty nice. I would have still preferred a different color in a semi-trans though.

post-3028-137772239075_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772239086_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772239094_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772239103_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772239111_thumb.jpg

... I would have still preferred a different color in a semi-trans though.

Ditto on that. Something about red that does not look good on wood. Must be all those old picnic tables...

Real nice work though Tony. I like the white on the stair risers and around the hot tub.

Thanks! It was a nice one to start the season with. I will go back in a couple weeks to take some portfolio pics when the sun comes out again and he has mulch down. He is also replacing the hot tub cover. The screened in section with pergola cover will be replaced this fall.

I did learn that my standard two-tone rate for the railings was not enough for working over the red. The white over the red would show the slightest splatter from 3ft away so I had to slow down considerably. I will definitely factor in the color as an added cost.

Edited by Tonyg

Tony, I just noticed you are in Va Beach. Nice to see someone else local doing quality work. That deck looks great. As for samples, I actually found some old 5/4" decking, cleaned, brightened and stained with AC - in addition to the newer PT. There is a big difference, but it appears that it should be possible to obtain even color by mixing/matching stains. I plan on adding AC to my arsenal if the weather would cooperate a little bit.

P.S. The deck look great, but when did you find an opportunity to do it - considering the weather here this spring? lol

Tony, I just noticed you are in Va Beach. Nice to see someone else local doing quality work. That deck looks great. As for samples, I actually found some old 5/4" decking, cleaned, brightened and stained with AC - in addition to the newer PT. There is a big difference, but it appears that it should be possible to obtain even color by mixing/matching stains. I plan on adding AC to my arsenal if the weather would cooperate a little bit.

P.S. The deck look great, but when did you find an opportunity to do it - considering the weather here this spring? lol

Thanks John. Scheduling wasn't ideal thats for sure although it worked out with some interior painting to finish up on the bad days. Stripped it early last week, prepped Wed & Fri, did the AC on Monday when it was in the 50's, and a couple of coats of the SW Deckscapes (good down to 35 degrees) Tues/Wed. Definitely colder than I think spring should be.

I don't like using the semi-solids, and this is the first time for an AC semi-solid for me, but it wasn't as bad as the samples. I think the older 2x6"s had more open grain which gave it a little more of a penetrating look. I had previously used Cabot for semi-solids and will say that the AC was tremendously better.

I do have samples of the old boards but the color seemed to be still heavy on the 5/4" boards. I made up samples of both the old and new but didn't have enough old boards to make a good set. I found an old fence that I made up but although they looked 100 percent better, they still looked like crap so I stopped using them. I have been looking around on trash day to see if anyone is in the middle of a deck demo. I live close to the dump at Mount Trashmore II so I thought I might go rummaging through one Saturday :o

post-3028-137772239118_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772239128_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772239137_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772239144_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772239153_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonyg

Looks really good Tony! Did you use all of the 10 gallons of sequoia?

I have less than a gallon left.

Oh, and one orange Homer Bucket :banana:

Nice job Tony, Looks Great. The Sequoia looks good after all. Its the white that breaks it up & adds the "WOW" factor.

Lyle

Thanks Lyle. I have played with the colors a little more also and have one that I think I will try out at my house. I know you guys out west use this more but here is a closer pic of the color on PT:

post-3028-137772239164_thumb.jpg

Tony your a natural.

Thanks Steven!

Tony, I need some semi solids for the website. Please send if you don't mind. Many thanks, Jake ps open to others as well

I will be able to get some pics of the MC/OB blend next week and will email a few to you. What size/format do you need?