Sign in to follow this  
rj242

? about stripping Olympic Max.

Question

I have landed a job cleaning and restaining a deck that was treated with the colored Olympic Max (5-7) stain. My question is should I even attempt to strip this deck, or just clean it an reapply same stain (home owner want same stain)? The stain doesn't look to be in that bad of shape, and is about 3 years old.

If I should strip it what do you recommend use to strip it (oven cleaner didn't touch it)? I have some HD-80 and F-18.

9 answers to this question

I have only used F-18 and I know it will work to strip. I know HD-80 will work just as well but have not used it.

Post some pics if you can. someone else will have to help you to decide whether to stip or not...My advice please don't...kidding..lol. nevermind.

The 5-7 mentioned is the years stain is rated for, and for those that don't know, it is a latex stain.

Randall,

Exterior latex stains do not strip out well with sodium hydroxide based products (HD80, F-18, and others). There are specialty strippers available but are quite expensive, take a lot of time to apply, and are often difficult to obtain.

Your best bet may be to prepare a hot sodium hydroxide mix, apply, and let dwell for some time while keeping wet. This may help "lift" areas of failed latex stain, but will probably do little to intact latex. Might have to use a bit of pressure to remove these failed areas.

Neutralize with an acid, rinse well, and let dry. Recoat with the same product if at all possible.

Depends on what state of sanity you like to reside in.

Nightmare ---> promise the customer a semi transparent and go ahead and strip it. Allot for at least three chemical strips and 4-8 hours of sanding.

Happy Place ---> clean and recoat.