Sign in to follow this  
bulletproof

chemical ratios

Question

In my reading, whenever I read about chemicals I see things like 5 to 1 ratio or 8 to 1 etc. Is there a chart of some sort that I can get in order to find out what the real world equivilants to these ratios are(i.e cups, pints gallons etc..) If not then how do I know what size measurements I would be using when mixing my chemicals

43 answers to this question

Earl:

A cup of one thing will have a different weight than a cup of another thing. A cup of Oxalic Acid weighs more than a cup of Sodium Percarbonate. You really need a scale if you're going to be mixing your own. Either that, or work out the equivalent volumes of EACH chemical you're working with and use those. I'd suggesting double or triple checking your formulas if you choose that route.

A scale isn't all that expensive, it isn't as if you need accuracy within .001 grams or something. A simple postal scale should be fine.

You folks are just having way too much fun.

Good people, good conversation, the only thing that's missing is a good drink ...(well, I got mine).

Ratios, measurement - interesting stuff. It's too bad there are not more people realizing the value in understanding them and the benefits of proper applying them.

I agree with Ron's concepts and values in knowing what chemical works on what stain vs. brand names and sounds like he has been frustrated by the X-Jet one size fits all mentality. (I've been pulling my hair out for the past year reading and trying to interpret people's posts in regards to final proportions at the exit end of whatever tool is applying the final mix.)

The only thing I would disagree with Ron is on the weight of feather to gold. A pound of feathers weighs more.

Are you joking Paul? Because I need more coffee, so I can't tell. If you are working by sheer weight, and you have exactly one pound by weight (physical weight) for gold and one pound of feathers, the only difference I see would be volume, the area it takes to fill a container with the mass....

But then, I need more coffee...

Ok.. gold is measured by troy weight, but aren't we splitting hairs... or at least feathers?

Beth;)

OK you got me - 12 Troy oz. to a pound.

Trying to see who drank coffee and who drank beer for breakfast.

I only drink light beer before 10:00am!

Did you know that a BBL of crude oil is 42 gallons?

The Saudi's are short-changing us by 13 gallons.

How did they arrive at a yard measurement?

From the armpit to the tip of the fingers? 36 inches - Huge person if you ask me. If I had a 36 inch reach I could tie my shoe laces without bending over. The Troy ounce must of come from a small person.

If anyone is interested, Office Max has digital scales for about $30. It does a great job for mail as well as chemicals as it has a self analysis/calibration - the manual spring type are too prone to giving faulty readings as temperature effects the accuracy.

As someone mentioned, when you are weighing chemicals, don't forget to measure your measuring cup (plastic is light, but glass could be heavy and throw off your results).

One suggestion may be to measure out several 2, 4, 6 and 8 oz.

packets of frequently used chemicals into freezer type bags.

Kind of an emergency kit.

Another easy way to quickly meaure chems is as follows:

Go to a dollar store. Buy several clear plastic measuring cups.

You'll need one cup for every dry chem you plan to use.

Use a scale to weigh out various amounts, then pour it into the measuring cup, and mark the cup to indicate that particular amount. Use fingernail polish to mark the cups, magic marker wears off too quickly.

All the dry chems I use come packaged in resealable plastic pails, and I keep a measuring cup in each one, with the appropriate hash marks indicating the common portions I use.

I hope I explained this clearly, if not, I expect to hear from Paul....;)

Hi Tony,

You nailed it! You have to create your own dry weight cups since they are not the same as what's in the kitchen that you cook with, and that's the bottom line.

I never thought of finger nail polish. Rod used permanent marker and found it wore off, so he started taking clear packing tape and going over the markings, and it worked like a charm.

Of course the nail poilish is probably more colorful... just don't take her favorite color, or you might need to get flowers on the way home. ;)

Tony, thanks again! Great info.

Beth

Look at all these names on this thread you dont really see anymore. Where are they now? (ok, so maybe I stole that line from VH1, but it works) :)

I was reading some older post from the start of this BBS and it would be nice to see some of you that were new at the time chime in and let us know how things are going for you.

By the way, this was a very informative thread.

Look at all these names on this thread you dont really see anymore. Where are they now? (ok, so maybe I stole that line from VH1, but it works) :)

I was reading some older post from the start of this BBS and it would be nice to see some of you that were new at the time chime in and let us know how things are going for you.

By the way, this was a very informative thread.

Haven't seen PaulB around in a while. And where's Rob Fitzgerald?

Paul pops in to lurk from time to time. He spent alot of time helping to build the bbs up and is doing other things with his time now. I miss his posts.

I spoke to Rob this fall, but have not spoken to him since. He's probably doing a home show right about now.

Beth

Paul pops in to lurk from time to time. He spent alot of time helping to build the bbs up and is doing other things with his time now. I miss his posts.

Yeah, me too. He always seemed to have an answer for whatever question was posed.

I saw Rob on *** last week. Other than that he has been a phantom. If I had to pick a poster that I missed, it would be Michael from Epps.

Yep, he was the guy with all the anwers when it came to equipment issues.