Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

The good, the bad, and the ugly on TGS; about forum conduct

Question

Over the years the members and staff here on TGS have worked very hard to maintain these forums and to keep them as professional as possible. The Grime Scene was designed to be a tool, an archive, an online research repository, a networking venue, and a place to come together as professionals to help one another in the spirit of goodwill and growth. To this end we have accomplished much. The forums have grown, we have added new areas, we have added new features, all of our members who have come and gone over the years have shared and learned along side one another in the positive and professional spirit of cooperative learning and growth. These forums have been crawled by many search engines and will continue to rank well as they have for some time. Many contractors on here have gotten work from lurkers who are looking for a company to service their property.

Rod and I have been to many round tables and have been blown away by people who come up to us and thank us for having TGS, they tell us stories about how it has helped and in some cases made a significant difference in their business. Our response is always the same, we thank each and every one of them for the valuable contributions they share online, for it is the members and their acts of professionalism and kindness, of brotherhood and generosity that have made the forums successful, it's not one person, but all of us.

It is for this reason that I feel so very very deeply and strongly about being a BBS that is tough and takes a stand on rule breaking, on bashing, and on unprofessional behavior. It makes every single one of us look bad when a thread goes south and gets ugly. It reflects poorly and is disrespectful not only to the person being slighted, but to all of us that read it, to the visitors and lurkers who may be reading, afraid to post for fear of ridicule or retribution, to the TGS Staff who spend time back and forth voluntarily in PM's, on phone calls, in emails, taking the heat and sniping remarks on the chin when the offender turns away from their victim and turn the venom on them instead.

We are all busy people. The economy is down. We should all be spending more time looking for work or working or helping one another and less time spewing negativity and bile and distaste. And it is in this spirit and for this reason that I want to remind you all to use the report post button, and for the moderators to use infractions. The leash is at an end. TGS Staff and professional rule abiding members are in charge of this BBS, and the rule breakers will be banned for unprofessional conduct.

Thank you.

Beth

35 answers to this question

Rog... I do believe that I have learned a bunch from you already, any further pointers would be redundant. :)

Chris... My posts have offended you before? I don't ever remember you being mad at me for anything...

naw, it was a cold winter. Why dont I hear about anything til people start quitting. I missed these posts. I only come out of the shadows once in a while, because of this.

Grown adults think about what they are typing.

Rog... I do believe that I have learned a bunch from you already, any further pointers would be redundant. :)

Chris... My posts have offended you before? I don't ever remember you being mad at me for anything...

LOL - How COULD I ever be "Mad" at YOU Anthony ?

That was intended to be funny - with my little GIF man running around the post :D

Just trying to "inject some humor" in a situation :)

Man ... everyone's so serious lately .... Must be a Full Moon :sinister:

naw, it was a cold winter. Why dont I hear about anything til people start quitting. I missed these posts. I only come out of the shadows once in a while, because of this.

Grown adults think about what they are typing.

Hello Brian :)

Almost bit my tongue trying to pronounce your last name.

Phonetically ... is it shreckengost ?

Please tell me I got it right ?

the movie shrec in gost if you just say it slowly you get it the firt time,and know ger man names a little

you're right ron, and that is why I stay quiet

only post when helping

how can I be a platinum member?

Edited by schrec
cause I wanted to

Stress is one of the things that adds to conduct sometimes. That is something that I was guilty of a few times in the past. As I get older I try to be more understanding of people. One thing I do know is that helping people gives me satisfaction. Those that know me well understand what I am saying. Right now having a son in Iraq (MP in the ARMY) puts things in a different perspective for me.

Stress is one of the things that adds to conduct sometimes. That is something that I was guilty of a few times in the past. As I get older I try to be more understanding of people. One thing I do know is that helping people gives me satisfaction. Those that know me well understand what I am saying. Right now having a son in Iraq (MP in the ARMY) puts things in a different perspective for me.

Right on !