Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Deckster users

Question

Who else uses a Deckster?

I have had the original version for 4 yrs. now.

I would venture to say I have gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

I have run caustics, acids, 12% as well as stains through it.

After all this use, I finally replaced the pump manifold last month.

Not bad for all the abuse I have put it through.

How is yours holding up?

Personally I love mine.

I have pretty much done away with the fan tips and use the variable degree cone tip, brass for applying.

25 answers to this question

Adrian,

I bought a Decker 5'er about 5 or 6 years ago when they first came out. Aside from a few intake screens, one brass bypass valve replaced this winter, and a broken manifold? cover when I dropped the unit over, it has run like a champ. Finally got a new 12 volt deep charge battery for it last year.

It has only been used for stain. Truthfully, it has only been used for Ready Seal stains. Anything else goes through an old Binks airless or gets brushed on by hand. Chems are applied through shurflo units. For staining, these units are worth their weight in gold.

Rick, I have over the years heard of a Decker 5er.

Throwing my ignorance out for all to see here.... but..... who makes it and can you provide a link to it, with a pic. ? I would like to see what it looks like. Probably not much dif from a deckster right? Pumptec pump? Regulator and pressure gauge, prime bulb?

I have only used shurflows for spraying xylene and lithium hydroxides.

Basically a disposable pump after a few uses.

But my deckster (exception of replacing manifold) has held up very well with everything I put through it.

Adrian,

The Decker 5'ers I believe were manufactured by Pump Tec. Not sure if they still make them. As far as I know, they are very similar to a Decker.

Funny story. Jack Kramer, Tom Vogel of ACR, and I all purchased one for use early one spring. We all used it for the first time on the very same day. And we all had blow outs of the short hose with the quick connect that feeds the 50' line going to the gun! I trashed the side of a huge home and killed a lot of grass with RS before I could shut the thing off. Poor Tom's ears were burning as I was screaming at him on the cell. We are still good friends to this day!

Here is what I have on the unit.

This is actually quite timely.

We have had 2 decker's (pumptec versions) for about 8 years now and they still have the original motors. Everything else on them has been rebuilt or modified since but they have been indispensable in our work.

We have one A/C and 2 - 12 volt versions.

The A/C version still has the old aluminum manifold while the others have the newer neoprene manifolds. (great for use with caustics)

Rod!~

Wow, with the exception of the Deckster having a pressure gauge, the Decker looks like an identical twin. Thx for posting Rick.

Rod,

My original motor is still in use as well. I've only replaced the manifold after finding out that the ecoating has been eaten away over the years. That's why the gasket rebuild kits would not suffice. So I replaced the entire manifold. Tracy at Sunbrite was a big help in getting me an original manifold as they are appearantly not produced anymore.

I am going to try and take it easy on the unit this Summer and maybe grab another Shur flo to shoot caustics and save the manifold on the Deckster for stain only.

I love it, but I don't want to replace it anytime soon.

Bought one this year and really like it. I told my wife it was my new glorified hand cart. I know DSing and an airless can be quick but I really wanted more control of both the chems and stain. Probably could of made one much cheaper but I like the idea of having turn-key equip. to work with.

Tony,

You will like the "glorified handcart" aspect when you have a deck that is second level. It climbs stairs pretty good.

The only down side to the deckster, and I'm sure the Decker 5er as well( after seeing it). Is that it is top heavy when taking out the battery to re- charge it, which could crunch the regulator or crack the manifold if it falls over hard enough. So I always make sure it is secure before I remove the battery.

Other than that, I love it. Always have and always will.

But, like I said, I see a cheapo shur flo in the future for caustics and acids.

Plus I could model it after the build of the Deckster on a small hand truck. Instead of just shagging a bunch of hoses and a battery around to hook it up to and a loose bucket.

just curious - the battery leads make it so the battery cover doesn't close when they are hooked up. I was going to make modifications as I don't like spilling chems/stain on the battery or in the case.

just curious - the battery leads make it so the battery cover doesn't close when they are hooked up. I was going to make modifications as I don't like spilling chems/stain on the battery or in the case.

Hey Tony,

What I did with mine is take a pair of "Tin Shears" and cut a couple of 1" squares out of the side section of the cover where the leads go to the battery. That way the battery still can be covered after you connect the leads. Plus it will keep any "fallout" from landing on the battery with the cover on.

One suggestion. The "fold down handle" is worthless for holding 5'ers of stain, yet remaining mobile. If you have to move the unit, good luck without tearing down. Get a good quality rubber bungee with hooks to hold the stain 5'er on the lip and keep the handle upright. Makes it truly portable.

I've got three decksters and I love them. Occasionally we use them for applying roof wash and they hold up to it well. However, they won't hold up to hydrofloric acid. The only problems I've ever had with the Decksters were the pump bulb, an occasional air leak from the hose connections and I broke a pump body once when I pushed something into it. And of course the hydrofloric acid incident..lol

I've never had a problem with the fold down handle for holding my stain, I'm not sure why it folds down though.

I think the Decker 5's use a different motor and pump body but I'm not positive. How much are the Decker 5's?

... I've never had a problem with the fold down handle for holding my stain, I'm not sure why it folds down though.

I think the Decker 5's use a different motor and pump body but I'm not positive. How much are the Decker 5's?

Henry,

The problem is it is near impossible to move the unit when using the handle folded down. Between the weight of the stain and a deep cycle 12V battery, there is no leverage. Gypsy rigging a bungee or strap to hold a 5'er also negates messing with those D ring clips.

Been so long, I really do not remember the cost of the Decker 5'er. I'm not sure if they make them anymore. Tom Vogel at ACR could tell you.

Henry,

The problem is it is near impossible to move the unit when using the handle folded down. Between the weight of the stain and a deep cycle 12V battery, there is no leverage. Gypsy rigging a bungee or strap to hold a 5'er also negates messing with those D ring clips.

Been so long, I really do not remember the cost of the Decker 5'er. I'm not sure if they make them anymore. Tom Vogel at ACR could tell you.

They do,Tom sells them as well as parts for them. Rick I agree one of the biggest problems is the weight of the unit. Long hose is a blessing, less movement of the unit makes for a healthier user.

Beth

Do you have a battery case for it?

Plastic Battery Box & Case | Battery Cases Boxes - Remy Battery

Otherwise, I would change the configuration.

Marine deep cycle batteries have dual terminals, one for a collar connector and a threaded terminal for wing nut secured connections.

FYI

Rod!~

Henry,

Aha! I have you answer!

....buy longer hose!

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

Used to use it in the way you mentioned but prefer now to just set the pail behind the unit by the motor. This way, we always leave the handle in the upright position, but I am guessing that you have to fold it down for space restrictions?

The "D" rings can be replaced with linch pins for quicker removal or just don't fasten the clip on the ring. my .02 suggestion

I have 2- 30' lengths and 1-50' length of hose we use for the portable units. The truck mounted version with a different pump for chem application only has 200' of hose and the crew loves it.

Ours cost almost $500 @ but the pail-top version was around $250. They paid for themselves time and again.

Tom is now a distributor/pseudo manufacturer of the pumptec units. PumpTec no longer manufactures them but sells the parts and Tom puts em together. He has great ideas for configurations and can help with a customized set up if need be.

On another note, It's raining still and after 2 days I am starting to get a bit bummed.

The decks are stacking up...

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

I use Shane's Bucketster system. Easy to carry. Take top off and put it over bucket of Stain/stripper/etc. The delevan holds up to caustics, acids and stains (Wood Tux Primarily.)

the only problem is the bucket is too small for a Marine battery, so I use a motercycle battery. Just have to make sure I charge it every time.

post-4622-137772241999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chappy

Aha! I have you answer!

....buy longer hose!

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

Hah! Quick solution but does not work for us. Only use the Decker 5'er for Ready Seal stain. Draining a 30' feed hose at the end of a job is more than enough.

Used to use it in the way you mentioned but prefer now to just set the pail behind the unit by the motor. This way, we always leave the handle in the upright position, but I am guessing that you have to fold it down for space restrictions?

The "D" rings can be replaced with linch pins for quicker removal or just don't fasten the clip on the ring. my .02 suggestion

The fold down "handle" was only used once in 5 or 6 years, the first day we had the unit. Next day bought a heavy duty strap w/hooks to hold 5 gal. pails of Ready Seal. Have not had to mess with the "D" rings since.

... Tom is now a distributor/pseudo manufacturer of the pumptec units. PumpTec no longer manufactures them but sells the parts and Tom puts em together. He has great ideas for configurations and can help with a customized set up if need be.

That's good to know. Tom is a veritable wizard when it comes to equipment.

On another note, It's raining still and after 2 days I am starting to get a bit bummed.

The decks are stacking up...

Rod!~

You are not kidding, this is the worst early Spring weather wise that I can remember. Looks like we may get some decent temps. and sun starting tomorrow. Usually have multiple jobs done by now, tomorrow will be the first "completed" check of the year!

Do you have a battery case for it?

Plastic Battery Box & Case | Battery Cases Boxes - Remy Battery

Otherwise, I would change the configuration.

Marine deep cycle batteries have dual terminals, one for a collar connector and a threaded terminal for wing nut secured connections.

FYI

Rod!~

Got one, just need to make a few modifications.

Next. The hose clamps can't be tight enough. Is there another connector that will work better than a hose clamp on the clear braided hose? The stain hose has been fine but the chem hose has been leaking acid and caustic when the pressure is up.

Got one, just need to make a few modifications.

Next. The hose clamps can't be tight enough. Is there another connector that will work better than a hose clamp on the clear braided hose? The stain hose has been fine but the chem hose has been leaking acid and caustic when the pressure is up.

I find that when that happens it is time to change the clamps. Smaller ones that are just a little bigger than the outer diameter of the hose works best but don't get the thin banded ones, get the wide banded clamps, they hold better.

Rod!~

Wow, with the exception of the Deckster having a pressure gauge, the Decker looks like an identical twin. Thx for posting Rick. ...

Adrian,

The Decker 5'er does have a pressure gauge. If I recall, I shot that photo to show Tom at ACR the damage caused when the unit dropped over so he could ship me the correct replacement part.

we use ours for all deck chemicals and stains ans they hold up well. My only problem is we really go through the batteries. We bought AGM batteries this year because they can take a deep discharge and do not lose power as they sit around. We connect the leads to the deckster directly to the battery charger that we run to the customers house and that seems to work well. There is no need for a battery if you do that.