Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Oylmpic Maximum stripping?

Question

Comedy of errors. Stopped by to meet prescheduled new customers last Saturday morning during a veritable monsoon. It was raining so hard, could not take measurements let alone try some strippers. Worthwhile as the husband is only available on weekends, and very nice people. Promised to stop by when weather permitted. Stopped by late this PM coming from another job to test the wood, no one home.

Facts I learned on Saturday. PT deck, 3 yrs. old. Husband stained the first year, then again the 2nd year. Never cleaned the wood, just slopped down some stain. So two coats of this stuff with mildew/mold stains beneath and between the two layers. I saw the 5 gal. can, it is Olympic Maximum in a blue can with rain drops. 2nd error, I did not have my glasses with me so could not read the details on the label, and did not want to get soaked running out to the truck.

The deck is an eyesore, and they are going to put the house on the market this summer. It definitely needs a full stripping and a restaining.

What is with this stain? 8 oz/gal. of sodium hydroxide test stripper on the partially failed floor seemed to work ok, but did not appear to be effective on the mostly intact stained horizontal wood. It has a "shine", almost like a waterbased semi-trans acrylic.

A few pics attached. Never knowingly tried to strip this stain before, and it looks like a tough one. Any experience would be welcomed before I try and price the job.

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Rick, you nailed it. All Olympic here in the northeast is the water borne acrylic garbage. It can be like iron on the verticals.

First and formost, Ken , you do a lot more wood than I do, so I'm asking, not telling.

Our ( One hour north of Buffalo) Olympic Max is Naptha, Alkilyd Resin, Linseed Oil based. Is ours that different. SH will usally strip it no prob.

My next question would be if it is like iron on the verticals, why not strip what is needed, neutralize, sand , respray, collect $$, move on to the next ????

Edited by Richard

Richard, you are probably not under the same VOC restrictions that we are in the northeastern states. I haven't seen oil based Olympic in maybe 4 years.

Acrylics are not maintenance friendly, and they make wood dry out. I remove them or nothing.

The OMax around here is still an oil base - The blue can is a penetrating oil finish (usually clear) with the green can being the semi transparant oils. OMax in my experience has been an easy strip though with even a percarb taking it off. That deck almost looks as if it had another product on it even before the homeowner applied the OMax. The picture of the rail has that varnished look to it like they may have used Sikkens or spar varnish on it - possibly an acrylic but the shine leads me to believe something more in line with the first two choices.

Oly Max makes a Semi Transparent and a Toner - green can. The Toner is much more transparent and easily strips - a lot like the Armstrong-Clark products. The Oly Semi Trans is a pain.

Rick,

Get some of Tom's 633-ADD if you don't have any on hand and boost it.

It will take it off. Call Rod if you need ratios....

Beth

Beth,

3rd error. Did not have a boosted batch of stripper mixed up in a sample bottle on the truck. Have a few gals. of 633-ADD, plus a half a 5'er of Tom's thickening/surfactant additive in inventory.

I usually add 8 fluid oz. of each per gallon into a hot 8 - 12 oz./gal. ACR 760 mix. Will be back in the area early this week and will stop by to test it on this semi acrylic.