Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Truth in Sales

Despite the customer calling, the job is not dirty.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Despite the customer calling, the job is not dirty.

• They called me, so I'm selling the job.
    • I tell them the truth and pass on the job.
    • Give them a discount as it will be an easy wash.

Question

47 answers to this question

I usually throw in the patio chairs or small stuff like that. Little time spent and the customer is pleased with the extra effort on your part that didn't cost the an arm and a leg. Nick

Well that's just common sense! The point is not to damage anything, whether you're paid for it or not.

The way I look at it, I'm not technically doing it for free, I'm simply adding a bit of work to the scope of the job. Either way, if it is damaged, I'm responsible.

Word of mouth, I wouldnt eat if i relied on that. My mouth would not keep my trucks busy enough.

Yellow page ads stink toooooo.

I recieve word of mouth jobs but i have to be honest it wouldnt pay my bills. I understand that smaller guys that do residential work might get alot but commercial people are to busy.

Getting on vendor lists and doing corporate shows are the ticket. when your on and interanal phone book or approved vendor list thats when you hit pay dirt.

Word of mouth, I wouldnt eat if i relied on that. My mouth would not keep my trucks busy enough.

I recieve word of mouth jobs but i have to be honest it wouldnt pay my bills. I understand that smaller guys that do residential work might get alot but commercial people are to busy.

Getting on vendor lists and doing corporate shows are the ticket. when your on and interanal phone book or approved vendor list thats when you hit pay dirt.

What do you mean by corporate shows?

How about the opposite? They need to be cleaned but dont look like they want it or can afford it?

I pass by a house a few times every week that is just turning greener and greener every day. The original house color is white. I even saw a PW company doing the house next door to her and never saw her getting hers done. It looks like she doesnt have much money as she is an elderly lady lady living in a small house. The house definately needs to be cleaned. What would you do then?

Do you see potential in the rest of the neighborhood? You said you pass by this house a few times each week...is it a well traveled area? If so, perhaps you can wash her house for the cost of your chemicals and fuel and a sign in the yard. She may be very skeptical about accepting such a gratuitous offer, so you will have to make her understand that it is an investment on your part. If it's a small house and won't take time away from other projects (do you have a down-day?), then it shouldn't affect you much. And if she still persists on "why?" then tell her that it's Christmas and Santa's offering free services, but the oil companies are still biting!

How about the opposite? They need to be cleaned but dont look like they want it or can afford it?

I pass by a house a few times every week that is just turning greener and greener every day. The original house color is white. I even saw a PW company doing the house next door to her and never saw her getting hers done. It looks like she doesnt have much money as she is an elderly lady lady living in a small house. The house definately needs to be cleaned. What would you do then?

It's a nice idea, and I like Ryan's suggestions, but if I washed every house I pass frequently that is in severe need of cleaning, I'd never have time for paying work!!

I did give a lady a free driveway cleaning because she took the time to clean the dog messes out of the back yard (they have a large dog, and there were literally dozens of huge piles in the yard). I just knew I was going to wind up with that stuff all over my boots and hoses, but when I got there there wasn't one pile in the yard. I left her a note thanking her for doing it, and told her I cleaned her driveway in return - Merry Christmas!

It does give you a nice feeling to do something extra especially when you know they can't afford it. I had a lady call just before Thanksgiving who had just found out her kids coming into town for the weekend. She wanted her driveway cleaned (it was BLACK), and her roof blown off if it wasn't too much. She lived in a small house in a run down area and obviously didn't have much money. I lowballed the price ($75.00 to do the driveway, walkway, back patio and blow the roof off). While I was there I went ahead and cleaned the front of her house. I just felt like doing something nice for this lady who probably struggles to make ends meet each month.

If I see something that I don't think needs to be cleaned, it's most likely because I don't think I can get it any cleaner. In that case I ask why they think it needs to be cleaned. I ask the customer to show me specific areas that need improvement and to tell me how clean (or what the final look is that) they expect to get. I also ask if this is prep work for another phase such as cleaning before sealing or painting. I also look for details such as existing damage. Talking with the customer, asking questions and listening will most often reveal reasoning behind their actions.

But to answer your question:

I think long and hard about how I would feel if the shoe was on the other foot

and then the answer is always very clear. As long as you tell the customer up front that you think it's clean and put it in writing, then if they still want the clean surface "cleaned again", it's their nickel.

I don't think I could have expressed my views any better. Paul you're not a mind reader, are you? :)

I agree...in fact, one line in a mailer I use frequently is "I will not try to sell you a service you don't need." ....

I too have something similar in all of our mailers: "If it does not need to be cleaned, we will tell you!"

I'm pleased to find that all of us here are in such high moral standards.

Ron, you are 100% correct.

I wouldn't be where I am if I relied on other people to spread the word either.

Hey Ron,

Are you Vendor packages really big?? I am filing one, and I bet it is 30 pages. It is for a really big nationwide resort, and we'll be on their list to perform certain services, some which is already bid and accepted, just need to become a vendor.

Hey Ron, how many employees do you have?? Do you have a salesman or are you the salesman?? Do you have an employee that takes care of biz things, i.e. billing, bills, filing, etc.?? I may call you again sometime---last time we talked you called me at around 3am, LOL. :)

I have yet to see any property, deck or driveway that couldn't be made cleaner. I would just price the job accordingly. It seems silly to have someone call you to do work and then argue with them that they don't really want it. They called you, they obviously DO want it done.

They called me, they see that it needs to be clean. It is their property, what is dirty to them, may not be to me.

No discount either. Wether a house is fithly or not so bad, they take about the same time, same work, and same effort and they get just as clean.

If I was called to a home that appeared clean to me, I would undoubtedly comment so, to the owner, and ask them at the same time what it was that concerned them.

I would wash the house, and give particular attention to their expressed concern, if any.

Even if done the week before by someone else, it could benefit fom a wash and rinse w wax used in rinse.

I was taught "Do not treat people the way YOU wish to be treated, treat them the way THEY want to be treated."

Everyone has differing standards.

Perhaps there is something unseen they are concerned with.

I can not see or feel bacteria and germs and may not notice odors.

A fresh soap & bleach smell IS clean, to many.

Some folks just want to KNOW things are done right and in good order.

If they are willing to pay for service, they should have what the ask for.

r