Sign in to follow this  
ls1cameric

1st Deck cleaning job, need advice.

Question

The summer is finally here and my in-laws hired me for my first job. They have a large stained deck that they want cleaned so that my father in-law can restain it. He doesnt want the current stain stripped because he's redoing it the same color, just cleaned to get all the dirt and grime off.

Are there any chems I should use to help with the cleaning prossess? I have Simple Cherry from PT but should I even use a detergent or cleaner at all or just plain water?

Whats the max pressure I should use? 900-1000? I dont wanna screw up my in-laws deck the first time I clean it. He's paying me 150.00 just to clean it and if he likes it said he'd let me do it every few months.

I also have a 19" surface claner shoud I use that on wood or could it dammage the surface?

Thanks for the advice guys...

Edited by ls1cameric

24 answers to this question

If its the same exact product that is going to be applied and the stain is not in failure (bare wood showing) and the staining product hasn't been overapplied or coated ten times, a simple bleach and dish soap clean will be fine.

Exact same product going on....

So what type of dish soap? What type of bleach? How much do I mix? Do I mix them together with water and downstream the premix? Or do I mix them seperately for a bleach clean and then a soap clean?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. He just brough this up to me last night and wants it done tomorrow so I havnt had much time to figure all of this out and If I dont do it, he'll hire someone else because he want s to restain the deck next week.

Can someone elaborate on this for me a little? I would research this myself by time is the main factor here.

I'll likely skip the bleach but can someone tell me how much dish soap to use per a 5 gallon bucket of water?

No, you don't. But, alot of us have been out in the field today and haven't seen your post.

Please go to the "my controls" and complete your signature. We like to know who we are talking to.

You can go with what Ken said about your cleaning mix.

Please throw out the idea of using your surface cleaner on the wood.

650-800 psi give or take.

You can use a "dawn" type soap or concentrated dish soap.

Are you going to use 6%, 10%, or 12% Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach)

You don't want your bleach content too strong.

If you are using 5 gal bucket, your mix should be somewhere around a 20/80 split blch/h2o and around 10-15 oz soap.

post a pic or give some dims because a visual might help us help you to determine the strength of your mix.

I ( personally ) would never entertain the idea of a surface cleaner on a deck.

There is just so much that is wrong with that scenario.

46 views and I comment...

I guess I should have known better from last time I asked a simple question.

Do you have to be a seasoned "pro" to get any "usefull" info on this forum?

Settle down bro. Ken fenner gave you ample advice, he's pretty good at the deck thing. Plus If you look at other threads, you will probably find more info for yourself. Plus, there are a lot of guys that are really busy at this time of year. amny "simple" questions get answered by a guy (ken stepped up this time) and then there is no reason to beat the dead horse...

Other than that, I wasn't a "seasoned" pro when I started asking questions, but before I asked them, I looked at similiar threads...

Wow....everyone here had the same beginning you did, and everyone here had to learn from point zero. If you are not getting the answers you think you should be in a timely fashion may I suggest you use the search tool...there are years and years worth of excellent data on here. The seasoned pro's you speak of are in the height of the spring busy season, and time is a commodity.

Fill in your signature, tell us about yourself, and post a photo of the job you are undertaking. It will help us all help you better.

Beth :cup:

p.s. I hope you have liability insurance

Patience, for the jedi it is time to work as well.

You remind me of my customers of late calling to ask when we will be out to stain their deck. My office manager just said " look out the window".

It was raining all over the area and yet this customer hadn't a clue as to why we had not been back out to seal her deck.

Your post happened just around the time most of us got some sunshine for the first time in weeks to work with to get a modicum of caught up with backlogged work.

My advice, go read the label of the can of stain he will be applying. For maintenance coating, it will give directions on what to do to prepare the surface. If not, go online and find the products data sheet and read up on it.

This is for others who are last minute advice searchers: give a bit more lead time if possible to get a better response rate from our members. They have businesses to run and weather can effect their availability here online to answer questions.

Also, keep in mind that answering questions is voluntary and no one is obligated here. The views you have gotten were possibly from others like you who had the same question but no answer.

Was any of this helpful?

Rod!~

Reminds me of the story about the 2 bulls. The young Bull and Old bull are standing on a hill looking over a field with 20 cows in it... The young bull says "let's run down there and **uck one of them cows!" The old bull says "lets WALK down there and **uck them all!"

As mentioned above, mild housewash mix will work just fine. Pressure wise, I would use my housewash 4-way utilizing the low soap and low rinse tips. Hardly any pressure at all.

... I dont wanna screw up my in-laws deck the first time I clean it. He's paying me 150.00 just to clean it and if he likes it said he'd let me do it every few months. ...

Eric,

Maybe not the advice you are looking for, but being married 20 yrs., I never could have charged my mother/father in law for any work.

They didn't charge me for the privilege of marrying their daughter!

Right on Rick. I didn't want to mention that but, Right on.

Always got to stay on the good side of the In- Laws.

That's good advice. lol.

No, you don't. But, alot of us have been out in the field today and haven't seen your post.

Please go to the "my controls" and complete your signature. We like to know who we are talking to.

You can go with what Ken said about your cleaning mix.

Please throw out the idea of using your surface cleaner on the wood.

650-800 psi give or take.

You can use a "dawn" type soap or concentrated dish soap.

Are you going to use 6%, 10%, or 12% Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach)

You don't want your bleach content too strong.

If you are using 5 gal bucket, your mix should be somewhere around a 20/80 split blch/h2o and around 10-15 oz soap.

post a pic or give some dims because a visual might help us help you to determine the strength of your mix.

I ( personally ) would never entertain the idea of a surface cleaner on a deck.

There is just so much that is wrong with that scenario.

Thanks for the info, I'll know for next time. Unfortunately i dint know what type of cleach to use so i only used a strong mix of detergent and it seemed to work pretty well. It was my first deck job but turned out pretty good.

Settle down bro. Ken fenner gave you ample advice, he's pretty good at the deck thing. Plus If you look at other threads, you will probably find more info for yourself. Plus, there are a lot of guys that are really busy at this time of year. amny "simple" questions get answered by a guy (ken stepped up this time) and then there is no reason to beat the dead horse...

Other than that, I wasn't a "seasoned" pro when I started asking questions, but before I asked them, I looked at similiar threads...

Hey Bro! I mentioned I only had 1 day to research this and trust me when I say I spent several hours while I was at my day job surfing this forum and others TRYING to find some usefull info but was unable to find anything pertaining my my exact question. For someone to say "Yeah just use some dish soap and bleach on it" as a solution is not very good advice to give a beginner thus the reason I asked for specifics.

Eric,

Maybe not the advice you are looking for, but being married 20 yrs., I never could have charged my mother/father in law for any work.

They didn't charge me for the privilege of marrying their daughter!

Well considering I'm in my 20's and tight on cash and they are in thier 50's and both retired execs from a large computer comp and live VERY comfy, I have no problem taking money from them when offered.

And after all these answers he does not respond....Maybe he found the search feature....

MAYBE....But no.... I'm off on weekends and i dont sit around chatting on forums in my spare time. . I have plenty of time to do that at my reg job. (now)

MAYBE....But no.... I'm off on weekends and i dont sit around chatting on forums in my spare time. . I have plenty of time to do that at my reg job. (now)

We are glad things turned out well. Now If you can see through all the BS (some ours and some yours) You will find this to be a VERY informative group of people. Getting started in the right direction by coming here will help you more in the long run than you know!

So now that that's out of the way, add your name to the signature section in the user cp section. Helps us identify each other on a more personal level...

and how did you like my BULL story?? especially that you're in your 20's It really fits LOL

Best advice I can give you is watch out for Dan.

Jeff

Jeff,

Hah, that is the most hilarious post seen on TGS in many a moon!

Actually Daniel is fun, very informative, and interesting with his posts. You just can't let his "sunny" outlook on business and life make you think you need anti-depressants.

Just kidding around, Daniel!

Jeff,

Hah, that is the most hilarious post seen on TGS in many a moon!

Actually Daniel is fun, very informative, and interesting with his posts. You just can't let his "sunny" outlook on business and life make you think you need anti-depressants.

Just kidding around, Daniel!

Yea, I like Dan and his posts,...he just needs to express himself more!!

Dan usually says things out loud that others may be thinking,... but keep quiet for fear of making waves.

Dan is actually due a certain amount of credit for trying to keep the service industry at higher standards.

Jeff