Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

AC Redwood Tone & Cedar Semi Fence

Question

Finally found a color that I really like. It looked really really nice on an old PT deck board I made samples out of and I was able to do a fence with it this morning. The CS adds a little more body to it and tones down the red.I think this will be the stain I push from here on out. 3 Part Redwood Tone and 1 part Cedar Semi. This fence was still drying and its a little hard to tell the real color but after the way it looked in person I can't wait to try it on a deck.

I have been experimenting with the AC colors to get a better selection. I have 3 "reds", 3 "orange", and 3 brown now.

post-3028-137772249353_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249362_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249371_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249381_thumb.jpg

post-3028-13777224939_thumb.jpg

27 answers to this question

Tonyg,

We make up actual samples of all our colors and products available. If we get something new, we just add it. It is pretty cumbersome at times, but qualifying a customers needs will soften the blow. Our samples are PT and about a foot long. If they are tough to deal with, just make a new sample for their approval and be sure to add it to your collection.

Terry,

I was actually trying to go in the other direction. Its not that I don't like all of their colors but I think I would rather come up with some that are a bit more marketable (sorry Jake). I have found this spring that too many colors means inventory - and inventory can be expensive and turn into wasted money.

I wanted 9 colors with 3 in each group. I cut up a 2x6 replacement board into 4in blocks and present them together in one tray. Ive found too many color choices, just like paint, can complicate decisions and this way I can limit what I need to keep on hand for custom mixing. I also can utilize the leftover cans better when I use a partial five. I still have about a gallon and a half of each of the WT colors taking up space.

Ken, the CS looks really good but whenever I have used it I always think the same thing - too orange. It looks good and that and the Super Cedar are in my sample pack.

You artisans! I offer one color.. cedar semi-trans.. LOL.

Ken,

Hah!!! Perfect. Does an artisan turn into a businessman or the other way around? Circles in life.

... I still have about a gallon and a half of each of the WT colors taking up space. ...

Tony,

There are many of us here that can supplement your inventory!

Tony,

There are many of us here that can supplement your inventory!

I was hoping to donate the leftover WT to TGS as a contribution :lgwave:

Now if you have AC laying around I will stock up

I have about 30 gallons Of WT. I may throw in a gallon here and a gallon there ? Or donate it to Good Will ?

GOOD WILL? Hah! Ship it to Somalia, pirates can seal their frigates. Works on wet wood!

LOL, Rick.

Ken,

Friggin' pirates. It is now 2009. We still have bonafide pirates! This is great. Gotta' love their moxie in a country gone berserk.

Allah bless them, will wonders never cease.

I like pirates. Especially in my lifetime. Thought that the WalMart generation killed pure entrepreneurial spirit. Guess again...

Edited by RPetry

For all you people that mix im curious what you do with all the leftover? How are you measuring 3parts to 1 part? Do you pour into gallon containers and mix in a new bucket?

9 mixes seems like a heck of a lot of stain to keep around

I have about 30 gallons Of WT. I may throw in a gallon here and a gallon there ? Or donate it to Good Will ?

We tried to donate some to a couple of charities, Habitat was one of them, they can't take sealers, stains, paints.

Beth

I don't know about you folks - but there are always those 'throw-away' jobs. People are moving - want the deck look nice for a sale, use your leftover woodtux. Or you are painting a house, and you throw in staining the deck for free - again woodtux. Or that crabby old customer that's been with you since the beginning - but is on the 'old' payscale - when you charge a buck a foot, only counting floor area, have absolutely no idea about stripping, and all you do is clean and put another layer on, coat over coat over coat - again, perfect scenerio for woodtux.

I don't know about you folks - but there are always those 'throw-away' jobs. ...

Daniel,

That is a very good suggestion. Kind of works hand in glove with a "throw away" stain!

Tonyg,

We make up actual samples of all our colors and products available. If we get something new, we just add it. It is pretty cumbersome at times, but qualifying a customers needs will soften the blow. Our samples are PT and about a foot long. If they are tough to deal with, just make a new sample for their approval and be sure to add it to your collection.

Had the opportunity to take some pics of the samples I carry. Instead of 3 of each it is actually sets of 2 for 8 total. Also added a deck board picture of the RT/CS mix.

1. Sequoia/Natural 1:1

2. Siera Redwood/Cedar Semi 2:1

3. Redwood Tone

4. Redwood Tone/Cedar Semi 3:1

5. Cedar Semi

6. Super Cedar

7. Rustic Brown/Cedar Semi 1:1

8. Rustic Brown/Cedar Semi/Natural 1:1:2 (that may supposed to be 1:1:4)

post-3028-137772249422_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249431_thumb.jpg

post-3028-13777224944_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249449_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonyg

The SR/CS blend look nice and gives a darker color with more of a Semi-trans body.

I'm not a big fan of the RB but the RB/CS blend looks better and adding the Natural gives more of a milder brown.

post-3028-137772249457_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249466_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249475_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249483_thumb.jpg

I used the same batch of the RT/CS mix on my own fence. My fence was a much rougher cut then the one I did last weekend and absorbed more stain.

I understand how stains/coatings react and look on different substrates but there is a learning curve with my expectations of how the exterior wood restorations are going to come out.

Here are pics of the same stain on my own fence and I have not decided if I like it or not. The customers fence I thought looked really nice but it was a much smoother board. My fence came out very rich looking but some areas are quite orange. (Jake, this is what I was talking about.)

What do you think of this color mix? I'm not sure if I want to include it as one of my standard colors yet. I guess I will need to stare at it a while longer.

The first pic is the fence I did last week and the others are mine.

post-3028-137772249797_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249806_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249814_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772249823_thumb.jpg

Tony I was just like you in searching for that perfect tone. It doesn't exist. Ten decks built on the same block of the same wood species at the same time will all turn out differently. I ask people if they want red, brown or what 95% of people choose "deck color".. a reddish brown. Its the painter in you that has put you on this quest. :D

Tony I was just like you in searching for that perfect tone. It doesn't exist. Ten decks built on the same block of the same wood species at the same time will all turn out differently. I ask people if they want red, brown or what 95% of people choose "deck color".. a reddish brown. Its the painter in you that has put you on this quest. :D

Ken, ya know, come to think of it I think that is exactly what I have been trying to do. I have been trying to come up with that "perfect" reddish brown. It is almost like the holy grail - I keep trying color combinations but when I put them on different boards I like them one day and the next when it is cloudy I don't.

I'll keep playing around with them but I will probably just rely on the Cedar Semi as the primary.

I had that problem with Wood Tux. I hated every stock color. Decks were turning out orange or bright yellow or bright red.. ugly.. so out came the tint kits and a few drops of this and few drops of that.. 20 minutes on every job to get it right. Then came the documenting and living up to the sales hoopla of "I can make any color you wish right on the spot." Then it hit me.. this deck will not look this good in six months. People just want it to look real. To me, Baker's is the ultimate in color tone finish. All of them look fantastic. You blend a couple colors 50/50. The A/C is close but just not quite the same. I'm battling it internally a little bit. We're in the middle of a large condo deck project and those are all getting Baker's. Every owner is calling the HOA and raving how good their decks look. Hard to get away from that. long story short, I do feel your pain and relate perfectly. That's what makes what you offer different from the painter that slaps on that atrocious bricky red Behr crap.

Tony, I had to blend cedar tone with redwood tone with cedar semi & rustic brown together to get the perfect reddish brown. I just have to start an hour earlier & pull a trailer to haul everthing. LOL

Tony, I had to blend cedar tone with redwood tone with cedar semi & rustic brown together to get the perfect reddish brown. I just have to start an hour earlier & pull a trailer to haul everthing. LOL

Try the Semi-cedar with the redwood tone... (3:2) We have used that quite a bit, looks especially nice on old, severely neglected PT.

Beth :cup: :banana:

post-1-137772250102_thumb.png