Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Withdrawal fix

Question

Today was the first day in a week we were able to stain. Felt good to get cracking again. Ipe' floor, steps and handrail will get one more light oiling in the morning. Then its on to a bunch more jobs just dying for stain!

Hope this decent weather holds for a while.

19 answers to this question

Mmmmmmmm.....

Beth,

Yeah. Ipe' floors, handrails, steps and fascia. Red mahogany spindles, bottom rail, and porch framing. Western red cedar pergola, with mahogany clad posts. Real nice wood.

Rick, I hope its dry.. its about to hail and the sky is black as night here.. comin your way brother!

Ken,

The weather looked a bit "iffy" all day. Had a few drops, but nothing to stop us completing the first staining. One nice feature of RS on ipe', it can take a hard rain after an hour or so from application with no ill effect. Not sure about hail!

Ken,

Holy smokes, just looked at the NWS radar. Phila. envivons and S. Jersey are getting smacked with thunderstorms. Northern NJ is also getting hit hard. At the moment, Central NJ is in a sweet spot.

Watch out Diamond Jim, coming your way...

It is comin down like cats and dogs now but the western horizon is already clearing. You should be good to go. I have three cedar decks on tomorrow's schedule :grrr: :bluecry:

Ken,

I hope so. We have 3 old beat up PTSYP decks to sand and stain, real restorations, and one new PTSYP.

If it is clearing, you should be good to go. About the only good thing about cedar is that it dries fast for a softwood!

{Beth sticks her head out the window and puffs and blows with all her might...}

Keep it up north you guys!

Beth

Beth,

Arrggg! It just started pouring rain here. Another blown schedule...

I am having big trouble. I have a house that can not dry out. Love when you get rid of nail bleed on cedar and it rains for two weeks straight returning the nail bleed !

Glad we got the first oiling done on the job at the top of this thread. By 10:00AM, the ipe' floor will get blown off, and dried with towels. We are getting this job done today!

Pic of my own ipe' floor this morning. 9 month old AC rustic brown stain. Has held up very well. Like the water marks...

Rick - you return to a jobsite after you have stained it once to reapply a second coat?

Daniel,

For a first time RS customer, yes. For a RS maintenance customer, no, one oiling does the trick.

This is a new customer with an ipe' floor and toprail that will take a 2nd, very light lambswool oiling.

Pic of my own ipe' floor this morning. 9 month old AC rustic brown stain. Has held up very well. Like the water marks...

Rick, not sure what to think about that photo!

We went from rain rain rain to 100° with 110° heat index and 78% humidity this week here in Alabama. No rain in sight for a while. Nice.