Sign in to follow this  
acegot

Wood Tux Wet, ( WTW ) 2 years old

Question

Here is a pic of a WTW, WHG color deck 2 years old, full sun. I'm going to redo in Armstrong toner custom color.

post-1457-137772252349_thumb.jpg

Edited by acegot
added text

27 answers to this question

For 2 years in full sun, it fared well.

The more recent versions aren't doing this well, so I was curious to see the results.

Since there is such a vast inconsistency in the formula being released to the end user, I would not recommend a wash and re-coat like in the past when we were very strong advocates of the product. I think your suggestion is a good one for your best interests but I would suggest making it a strip because it will not allow the Armstrong Clark to penetrate and set up leaving the product to sit on the surface and remain sticky. (been there done that)

Thanks for posting the pic!

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod
additional info

I stripped it on Tues., sealed it yesterday. Cedar tone with a little cedar semi & some red tint added. Hopefully I'll get to sand it next time, the deck is only 4-5 yrs old, the homeowner p-washed herself after a year & carved it all up trying to get off 1yr old super-deck that was over applied & turned dark. The main deck isnt too bad, but the lower deck, not pictured is really tore up.

post-1457-13777225321_thumb.jpg

post-1457-137772253246_thumb.jpg

Edited by acegot
added pics

Hey Rod,

Yeah, heard of a Hurricane brush but never saw one. I assume you did not find it useful.

After we bough it, found it was not WTW friendly. WTW gummed it up. May work well with RS since it is non-drying. Broke on like the second use. They sent us a new part. Tried it again, then put it aside.

Have heard things about other types of brushes, and we love our airless sprayers.

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod

It works very well once you dial in the pressure. The only thing I don't like about it is the size. Its too small for volume staining. Then again, it eliminates the time of dipping into a pan. You'd have to try it, Rick. I thought it did a great job of getting close to a structure without overspray.

It works very well once you dial in the pressure. The only thing I don't like about it is the size. Its too small for volume staining. Then again, it eliminates the time of dipping into a pan. You'd have to try it, Rick. I thought it did a great job of getting close to a structure without overspray.

What were you putting down Ken?

Beth

Ive had mine for 3 or 4 years no problems, The only material I couldnt use it with was WTW, like Rod said it gummed up cause the stuff dried so fast. Works well with RS & AC.

It has a 9" brush on it, I buy the replacement "Quickie" brushes at Home depot & drill for the fittings & nozzles myself.

I thought about doing an 18", but would need to reinforce or make a new pole. It flexes what I would consider the limit now.

Edited by acegot
added text

I buy the replacement "Quickie" brushes at Home depot & drill for the fittings & nozzles myself.

Must be nice to have that kind of time, I don't anymore, too busy trying to keep up with the weather.

I like tinkering myself, kinda miss it.

Rod!~

Ken, How do you store those 18's so they dont gum up overnight, I have a 5ver that i keep 1/2 full of sealer for my brush & pad storage, keeps them from drying up to reuse.

Hi Lyle, ya got some pics and a parts list for the fittings that seem to work best for your diy version?. I'd like to try a brush system off a small air diaphragm system but the $200 for the actual system is abit absorbanent. I've noticed most any such systems of automatic application have to run as much due to their limited sales.

Checked on the only Wood Tux job we did last year. This is red mahogany stained in mid June of 2008. The color is the old WoodZotic mix.

The deck could use a light cleaning, but the stain has held up very well. No mold or mildew problem, as others have reported.

How would have ReadySeal have looked after one year in comparison?

Daniel,

The horizontal wood might have held its color just a little bit better than WTW, but it would be close. Stain color is close to Ready Seal medium red on mahogany. The one good thing about WTW is the look when you go to collect the check!

Attached is a pic when finished last year.

Ken, How do you store those 18's so they dont gum up overnight, I have a 5ver that i keep 1/2 full of sealer for my brush & pad storage, keeps them from drying up to reuse.

Lyle, they get a wet down with spirits and sit in the pan. They last about 8 jobs before they get taken out of service. Once a month they get soaked in stripper, washed and laid on a wire rack to dry out.

Checked on the only Wood Tux job we did last year. This is red mahogany stained in mid June of 2008. The color is the old WoodZotic mix.

The deck could use a light cleaning, but the stain has held up very well. No mold or mildew problem, as others have reported.

Nice uniform fade. Looks conducive to a maintenance clean and coat.