Sign in to follow this  
James

The Weather

Question

There has been no relief in the weather department concerning the rain and storms this year and last. Over the years here in CT I've gotten killed repeatedly . At what point do you quit wood care or scale back what you take on. This is a serious issue and a dilemma because the Wood Care jobs I get are non compete and I just got another great referral .

59 answers to this question

Diamond Jim,

Wood Tux. It can be applied to wet wood!

Maybe Russell should sell it to the Navy so they can coat ol' Iron sides in Boston Harbor a.k.a. the U.S.S. Constitution. Or how about the Mayflower? That's alot of wet hull wood!

My first deck I think took 6 weeks to complete - I've got another deck that just needs the mahogany deck boards sanded and a stain - and it's been weeks and weeks and weeks. And I have a feeling folks don't understand that wood can't be stained just because the sun pokes it's head out for one morning.

Jim - you are underestimating the rains. I had a huge exterior painting summer in '05. Then the summer of '06 was a washout and killed the momentum of my business - and then summer of '07 was a really bad washout. I think '08 was the best summer in the past 4 seasons? Although that isn't saying very much.

No offense to you guys, because I love woodcare - but why do you focus your business so much on wood? Even back in the day when I was primarily an exterior painter, and even during the good seasons - I always thought the logistics of working around Mother Nature sucked the big bananna. I'll never stop my efforts to advertize house washing and other washing services.

To me deck care is a way of securing more contract dollars with less proposals - one $1,500 deck is less work than trying to secure five $300 house washes. But still - there is a magic ratio of washing jobs to deck care. Almost like a retirement portfolio - you have your stock mutual fund, your Real Estate Investment trust fund, and your bond fund - and it's up to you to keep a good 'balancing' act between the three types of investment vehicles.

Decks are great in their own way - but I think always pursuing growth in house washing pays back in multitudes. You know what all the investment gurus say - don't put all your 'eggs' in one basket!

... but why do you focus your business so much on wood?

Daniel,

Because that is what I like to do. That is what I am interested and good at. If I had to wash a home or clean concrete to make ends meet, I'd be in another business.

If I get a couple dry days I do wood sealing and that is it. If I have pressure washing scheduled then it gets rescheduled to do the wood staining. I explain that to all customers prior to them signing the contract and it is in the contract. I can also usually get power washing jobs done sooner if there is a lot of rain. I try to schedule a good ratio of pressure washing and staining on any given week. I usually do not schedule more then two full days of staining on any given week due to the chance of rain. If I only did exterior wood it would be a major headache. I will book out a month or two for wood jobs but leave openings for power washing only jobs.

No offense to you guys, because I love woodcare - but why do you focus your business so much on wood? Even back in the day when I was primarily an exterior painter, and even during the good seasons - I always thought the logistics of working around Mother Nature sucked the big bananna. I'll never stop my efforts to advertize house washing and other washing services.

To me deck care is a way of securing more contract dollars with less proposals - one $1,500 deck is less work than trying to secure five $300 house washes. But still - there is a magic ratio of washing jobs to deck care. Almost like a retirement portfolio - you have your stock mutual fund, your Real Estate Investment trust fund, and your bond fund - and it's up to you to keep a good 'balancing' act between the three types of investment vehicles.

Decks are great in their own way - but I think always pursuing growth in house washing pays back in multitudes. You know what all the investment gurus say - don't put all your 'eggs' in one basket!

Specialization Dan. We offer a specialized service for one thing and one thing only. It sells big time. Rich people don't have Home Depot put their carpet in, they use a carpet guy. They don't hire a lawn maintenance company to trim their trees, they hire an arborist. You have to find a niche, and market the crap out of it.

Specializing is a way to separate yourself from the pack. Take fireman William for example. He could run circles around me doing decks, it takes him 2 seconds, boom bam and he's got his money. He also charges a 1/3 of what I would charge and says he doesnt even like to stain them. Its not competition at all because I'm making money on the $500,000 homes and above doing sanding, detail work, high quality stain, finish removal, etc, etc.

And I've been saying this all along but I like that my customers are starting to agree you don't hire a painter to do your deck. Higher end clientele aren't stupid. They want the best of the best. I did a deck for a new construction home, and the builder was hammering them left and right to get the deck stained and protected. They called the painter out and called me out. Painter does really really good work, he painted the whole home and all the trim and it looks fantastic. They hired me to do the deck. Why? Because the homeowner liked the fact that I specialize in decks and that is all we do.

I don't ever want to do housewashes. I don't feel like carrying tanks of housewash mixes, and I don't want to drive around all the time doing a whole lot of them. I'd much rather work on increasing my deck average and do less overall jobs. If I can stick with the 1500-2000 dollar decks that beats doing 5 houses anyday for me.

Charlie,

The above is one of the most astute, intelligent, on the money posts ever in wood care here on TGS.

You are wise beyond your years. How old are you?

I don't ever want to do housewashes. I don't feel like carrying tanks of housewash mixes, and I don't want to drive around all the time doing a whole lot of them. I'd much rather work on increasing my deck average and do less overall jobs. If I can stick with the 1500-2000 dollar decks that beats doing 5 houses anyday for me.

Well put. I still have to do house washes and flatwork. But that is a level to strive for. Again, well put.

I think Chucky is about 15 or 16, or as I like to say, "Jailbait."

I think Dan makes a good point. Rick and Chucky sell specialty, but my guess is that neither of you rely on this for 100% of your income ( I *think* Rick is retired, and Chucky is a student). Do you guys think you could get by if this biz was necessary to support yourself and family?

It would be tough. In fact, I'd be interested to see if there is anyone that makes a solid living doing nothing by straight woodcare (clean and stain). I venture to guess most supplement it with something......but IMO, deckcare would be the ultimate parttime job. But too many negative variables that would make it impossible to do as your only source of FT employment. Obviously, unless you can live on a very low salary, which some can, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

We specialize in wood care, but I'm perfectly OK with about 10% of our business being non wood related, especially when weather is uncooperative. We are glad to wash non-wood homes, trex, etc., and it keeps the schedule full, and the guys paid.

Beth

Wood resto yeilds more than housewashing anyday.

I was just saying I would like to get to that point where it is only wood.

It is very rewarding.

But I'm not there yet. I'll keep trying to get to that point, I believe it is a realistic target and am willing to continue to shoot for it.

But I still have to do HW's and flatwork as well as resto.

Good points you make too.

I only know of a couple of woodies that are doing only wood and staying afloat.

... I think Dan makes a good point. Rick and Chucky sell specialty, but my guess is that neither of you rely on this for 100% of your income ( I *think* Rick is retired, and Chucky is a student). Do you guys think you could get by if this biz was necessary to support yourself and family?...

Jon,

You are partially correct. But between April and November, I am too busy to be "retired". Had a project management consulting business and then a software development business along the way to build up a nest egg. In good years, our investments make more money than Windsor WoodCare.

Never had kids, a real savings. My wife Judy is a spendthrift, so am I. We tended to save more than spend over the past 21 years.

I do know a few specialty wood contractors that make more than a decent livelihood. One in particular is "retired", and currently building a 3rd "second" home in the front range of the Colorado Rockies.

My little business will never yield that kind of cabbage. But I'm 56, fat on life, and happy as a clam. If I had the drive and energy of 20 yrs. ago, yes, one can make a good livelihood .

We specialize in wood care, but I'm perfectly OK with about 10% of our business being non wood related, especially when weather is uncooperative. We are glad to wash non-wood homes, trex, etc., and it keeps the schedule full, and the guys paid.

Beth

Yeah, but I'm more specifically referring to what *these* guys do....basically decks (chucky, Ricky). Like you said, you do vinyl, etc....but even on your wood, you do interiors, rot, and lots of verticals.....and it is much easier to deal with rain challenges on a home vs. a deck.

Decks are a tough game. Russ was really onto something with WTW, if it would have worked out as planned, he'd probably be a millionaire by now...either through sales or selling to Cabot et al.

I think Chucky is about 15 or 16, or as I like to say, "Jailbait."

I think Dan makes a good point. Rick and Chucky sell specialty, but my guess is that neither of you rely on this for 100% of your income ( I *think* Rick is retired, and Chucky is a student). Do you guys think you could get by if this biz was necessary to support yourself and family?

It would be tough. In fact, I'd be interested to see if there is anyone that makes a solid living doing nothing by straight woodcare (clean and stain). I venture to guess most supplement it with something......but IMO, deckcare would be the ultimate parttime job. But too many negative variables that would make it impossible to do as your only source of FT employment. Obviously, unless you can live on a very low salary, which some can, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Haha 21 now so its all legal...im not interested though Fife;)..sorry!!

I don't see any reason this can't be fulltime and sustainable. As in fulltime doing only cleaning and staining....that's the after college plan for me anyway. Next year will be the first year I try this year round so itll be a good test...I can only roughly predict if it would be able to support a family. I did really well last year, working 4 day weeks for 3 months.

Ill probably look for something in the winter months, or try to open a second business within the first two years if necessary.

... Decks are a tough game. Russ was really onto something with WTW, if it would have worked out as planned, he'd probably be a millionaire by now...either through sales or selling to Cabot et al.

Jon,

This has to be tongue in cheek. You cannot be serious. Russel is or maybe was a salesman, not a bona fide stain manufacturer.

Jon,

This has to be tongue in cheek. You cannot be serious. Russel is or maybe was a salesman, not a bona fide stain manufacturer.

+ 1.... or more....

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod
added blanks to fill in!

Jon,

That is why I said "if worked out". A decent deck stain applied to wet wood without acting like a waterborne=big payday for someone. I think RUss got close, but certainly no cigar.

I am already in the process of putting something together for next year and will be starting a biz plan in the next couple of months. The goal/plan is wood care only so houses and other washing is out.

I'm curious for you guys that are primarily wood care how long (months) do you consider your season?

... I'm curious for you guys that are primarily wood care how long (months) do you consider your season?

Tony,

Here in central NJ, we usually start on exterior wood the last week in March or the first week in April. Dependent on temperatures, we usually pack it in for the season the last week of October or the first week of November.

The problem is not prepping or staining, it's just that wood will not dry out enough to stain in the winter months.

Arrrgggg! Four out of five days this week, it has rained. Thought we had a small window this morning to get some staining done. But no, more storms just had to come in at about 5:30 AM.

We have a weather crisis here, not an economic one. Business is fine, but we cannot finish any work. Calling DC later to see if any TARP giveaway $'s are available. Woodies need weather relief!

Forecast is a "Flash Flood Watch" for later today and tonight. So tomorrow will be another wash out. This weather pattern just has to change or I'll be sharing the dogs dinner bowls.

Edited by RPetry

Arrrgggg! Four out of five days this week, it has rained. Thought we had a small window this morning to get some staining done. But no, more storms just had to come in at about 5:30 AM.

This is why I don't do wood exclusively - 4 out of those 5 days - you could have been making money washing homes.

+1!!!

Beth

Nah, life's too short to force yourself to do anything you do not want to do. Have managed to avoid housewashes, concrete cleaning, etc. for 8 or 9 years. Been through stormy weather many times in the past, will sail through this latest bout.

Rick - I can understand not wanting to clean concrete - but what's so bad about washing a house? I actually like washing houses.

Daniel,

I do not know, just have no interest in it. Guess I have no affinity for vinyl.