Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

What a boring slow August

Question

Man after the monsoons of June & July are gone - you'd think folks would be calling like mad to have work done - the 'lead' generator has been turned off. I got one estimate to finish, one return phone call to timbertech, and one job to close out - but everything is sooooo slooooowwwwww.

17 answers to this question

Stop posting and start pounding! Start pounding the pavement and pounding on doors, flyers under windshields, or what ever you have to do.

We just did postit notes on the front page of the local newspaper yesterday, something we had never tried before. It worked well, did 8 quoted and closed 6 jobs so far.

Keep at it Dan, things will pickup if you just keep trying new things!

Mathew - I don't have any worries - I will be pounding the pavement soon again. I have more ideas - it's just a really hard fight this year - I am getting worn out by the fighting. Man I will never look a gift-horse, like the 90's, in the mouth again.

August is always slow for inbound calls. It's the final hoorah before back to school, vacations etc. Pound the pavement and you'll be ok. So you have to work harder to get the jobs.....it's normal. Offer a special for August only service. Be creative.

Beth

We have not experienced a Slow yet, I dont think we will be able to rest until March.

The Budget time this year for commercial is wierd. It started early and looks like its going to run late.

I love commercial work, this is why i cant do residential. I might be down like Dan, fighting consumers is not cup of tea.

We have not experienced a Slow yet, I dont think we will be able to rest until March.

The Budget time this year for commercial is wierd. It started early and looks like its going to run late.

I love commercial work, this is why i cant do residential. I might be down like Dan, fighting consumers is not cup of tea.

Unless you are working for the upper 1.5% income bracket of America, a.k.a. those with household incomes of 250k+, then doing residential work is for the birds. I think it's also indicative of your level of business acumen. I think commercial is the only real 'true' business model - and any residential model is good for 'cottage' industries.

Unless you are working for the upper 1.5% income bracket of America, a.k.a. those with household incomes of 250k+, then doing residential work is for the birds. I think it's also indicative of your level of business acumen. I think commercial is the only real 'true' business model - and any residential model is good for 'cottage' industries.

You coming to the Beach? www.nationalcleaning.com

I would love to meet you, we have been on the net along time.

I'd love to - but I have to find ways to increase sales - on the bright side, even though my total sales are down - my checking account has more money due to cutting costs on all fronts and getting rid of 'duds' for advertizing.

Dan, when things are slow, go find work. We both live near each other so I'm sure the roofs are just as bad. Really, it's too easy to find work.

You coming to the Beach? www.nationalcleaning.com

I would love to meet you, we have been on the net along time.

Ron, you pay for Dan's plane ticket and I will pay for his room. I want to kick his butt for being a pessimist, buyhim a drink, and then look at pics of the basement:). I'll reserve the room tonight if you get the ticket. Ball is in your court.

Stop posting and start pounding! Start pounding the pavement and pounding on doors, flyers under windshields, or what ever you have to do.

We just did postit notes on the front page of the local newspaper yesterday, something we had never tried before. It worked well, did 8 quoted and closed 6 jobs so far.

Keep at it Dan, things will pickup if you just keep trying new things!

If you got time for all that then you slow too. My truck and camaro lookin best they can!!! Tried all that. been run outa malls doin flyers. one made me take em off the cars. Our buisiness is in seasons. None of that stuff works. they think you are a new company, or if ya put in buisiness 25 years. why ya puttin flyers out???? Flyers are ghetto companies. Same as companies that advertise " name ya price, if good do the job". That what im against this week spendin money.

I'm really tryin to make a living doing this. Grow the company would be a nice thing. That would be a luxury. Almost all luxurys have been eliminated. The ****ers don't know it yet. I'm gonna win!