Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Some jobs are just perfect!

Question

Started a 2400 sq. ft. ipe' job today. Hot as blazes, in the low 90's, with a lot of good old east coast humidity. New wood, percarb, oxalic, sand, and stain. Nice job.

What was better is there is an ipe' dock and ipe' trimmed out salt water pool. Dock done in the early AM when it was still somewhat cool, so used my DUI drysuit.

In the afternoon heat, got to wash the ipe' trim around the perimeter of the pool. No way my helper, Oscar, was going to beat me to this punch. Can't beat swimming, working, and getting paid for the pleasure!

post-170-137772259733_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772259744_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

Nah, he was tryin to tempt any girls to oogle his physique and come join him that's what he was doin!

Dang Rick, I thought for sure the other hand would have been holding a Heineken as a life preserver! ;)

Rod!~

Lucky dog. I'm so tempted to jump in my customers pools sometimes.

You da man.

Adrian & Rob,

Hey, new ipe' bleeds extractives like a pig when first cleaned. I mean your wash water looks like blood mixed with water. The wood has that much stuff in it.

Now, to keep that nasty wash water out of the salt water pool, how else can you rinse that 1 x 3 trim piece on the inside perimeter? Only by sacrificing dignity and accepted contractor behavior, you jump in!

Sounds good if I needed an excuse. But in reality, it actually makes sense!

Lack of footwear and eye protection while pressure washing is not OSHA approved. But hey, sometimes you have to operate out on the fringe...

Brings up a question. Is the business owner himself legally required to follow OSHA regulations for his own personal safety?

post-170-137772259758_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772259767_thumb.jpg

Lack of footwear and eye protection while pressure washing is not OSHA approved. But hey, sometimes you have to operate out on the fringe...

Brings up a question. Is the business owner himself legally required to follow OSHA regulations for his own personal safety?

The answer is yes....

Beth

The answer is yes....

Beth

Beth,

I was afraid that would be the answer. If true, it should be challenged as an unconstitutional law.

I have no qualms that business owners are required to train, provide a safe workplace environment, and protect employees. This is not only morally correct, but good business.

But this "nanny state" nonsense has to be brought under control. The federal or state governments have no right to regulate the safety or lack thereof of business owners themselves.

A pox on both Republicans and Democrats. Though seen as a "wasted" vote, the Libertarian Party deserves a long, hard look.

....that actually looks fun Rick.

It's a 1000 degrees in the shade here.

Adrian,

I remember the Southwest in the summer when I drove a tractor trailer to help with college expenses. Brutal heat. Dropped off a LTL shipment in Yuma one afternoon when it was 115 F.

Wound up in the local hospital with heat exhaustion in Bakersfield, Ca. when loading out of a warehouse. People claim it's "dry heat". Yeah, right, its friggin' hot and can do some real physical damage.

Don't worry, Rick, I don't think the Osha 'police' are going to comb through neighborhoods making sure deck restoration contractors are wearing safety glasses.

Daniel,

That is not the point. Could care less if I was given a summons for personally not complying with OSHA regulations. You are correct, it will probably never happen.

The point is about freedom and liberty. As a business owner, I should have every right to be foolish and cavelier concerning my own person.

Anything else smacks of "big brother", "nanny state" nonsense.

This country was built on personal freedoms. And is still building on the same premise.

Bureaucrats and puffed up politicians do not supercede history and the US Constitution.

Rick, personal freedoms is one thing. But when we are on the job - it's business - and we have to follow standards and practices. The constitution is about protecting your rights to go home and worship the Medusa Serpent Goddess if you so choose. On the job has nothing to do with personal freedoms. Osha is a safety organization meant to protect the workers - and if you are actually working on some premises - then you too are a worker at that point in time. This has nothing to do with constitionality rights. Rick - I live in ground zero - where the industrial revolution started along the Merrimack River in towns like Lowell, Andover, Lawrence. There were no OSHA protections back then - and work conditions were awful. Lawrence was ground zero for the proletariat rising of workers demanding better pay and better working conditions - the Bread and Roses Textile strike of 1912 - it was a hard life before 1912 - most folks agree there was no middle class back then - just wealthy mill owners and the politicians that did their bidding and the proletariat.

Your middle class life is a direct product of this 'revolution' of the worker demanding more rights, better pay, and safer working conditions. When I was youngster back in the 70's I still remember all these old 80-90 year olds - my next door neighbor was my 'adopted' grandmother who was born in 1901. And she had her friends over all the time - women originally from Scotland that emigrated here to work in the mills that powered this country. And one thing I remember is that they were all deaf from the high decibals of working next to textile looms for 30+ years.

Before you complain about having to wear safety equipment - remember your 'roots'.

We've come a long way the middle class in this country.

Daniel,

I am not a worker. I am not the proletariat. Lord be, no one even knows that word anymore. What are you, a closet communist? Hah!

I am an owner, I am a capitalist. Read my post again. Workers should be protected, but not the entrepreneur. There should still be basic freedom for those with the gumption, risk tolerance, and downright cohones to create a business and new jobs.

Get the gov't off our backs and let this country's economy fly.

It is a mindset, a philosophy. Tie or restrict a business creator, and eventually mire in mediocrity and "has been". Look at France.