Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

An elderly estimate.

Question

In eight years in this business, this customer sets the record. Received a call yesterday from an obviously older woman, and set up an appointment this morning.

What a wonderful, energetic, intelligent woman. Sweet, great at conversation, sharp, knows numbers like a math wiz, and stopped driving a car 12 years ago. No email, no computer, no cell phone.

Lives alone in a home she has occupied for the past 60 years, having lost her husband to heart disease 27 years ago. Her name is Sophie, and she is 92 young years old. Melts even my cynical heart.

Never have done this before, but we booked the job at close to half price. She's earned it. And it will be a pleasure to work for her.

14 answers to this question

I always take care of them too. The way I figure it I'm going to drop before my wife does and I hope someone will take care of her too. Also I belive I will be judged in the afterlife and I really don't want to have any bad marks on my record for taking advantage of the elderly. You did the right thing.

Aw jeeze ...

All this feel good stuff is making me look like a real sap!

A typical home improvement contractor would have squeezed the last dollar out of her monthly social security check. I never was a good businessman...

Aw jeeze ...

All this feel good stuff is making me look like a real sap!

A typical home improvement contractor would have squeezed the last dollar out of her monthly social security check. I never was a good businessman...

You are a sap. That's why we love ya! :)

You're good peeps!

Hugs 'n beer....Friday's here!

Beth :groovy3:

Honest question: do you let the customer know you are giving a big break or do you just quote low for certain "seasoned" citizens?

Charlie,

No, I never say "You get the senior citizen discount" or, "Gee, I feel sorry that you lost your job, I'll discount our labor 20%". For some customers, that would be kind of demeaning, and most people do not care to accept anything that has the whiff of charity. I'll just quote lower than normal. Some of my older customers have more financial resources than a typical Wall Street investment banker.

... Hugs 'n beer....Friday's here!

Beth

Beth,

You're right, it is Friday! Is 7:00 AM too early to start imbibing the suds? Hah!

Honest question: do you let the customer know you are giving a big break or do you just quote low for certain "seasoned" citizens?

This is a great question.

Rick, great move----as you said, I'd want someone to treat my mother the same way. But it seems there would be some approach that would let you expose the discount, while still offering it.

The obvious reason being that she tells her child or grandchild, or next-door neighbor that, "I got my deck refinished for only $500!!" And you've set a price expectation for everyone else.

Again, this is certainly not critical of the deal you offered. But can we brainstorm and come up with a way to show the discount, not make it seem like a handout, but keep the HO from "referring" you as a guy with low prices?

For instance, I'll offer some substantial discounts for people to schedule their work when WE want to schedule it. As in Dec, Jan, Feb. Perhaps this is a way to give deserving people a better price---yet not position yourself as a guy that doesn't charge very much. Thoughts?

We're reeealll careful about how, when and why we discount other than the "automatic" kind for military, law enforcement and other public servants. The large majority of our seniors here have ALL the money so senior discounts only apply if WE feel the need is there. Guess this is another reason to always meet with a customer :)

On the other hand....

This is what I call the AARP speach. When an eldery tells you they are on a fixed income and so forth. The house has to be valued at 750,000 or more, new Caddy in the yard, etc. They always beg for a discount.

... But it seems there would be some approach that would let you expose the discount, while still offering it.

The obvious reason being that she tells her child or grandchild, or next-door neighbor that, "I got my deck refinished for only $500!!" And you've set a price expectation for everyone else. ...

Jon,

This was a special situation. We do not offer discounts to anyone in the normal course of business. As is, our pricing is reasonable. I do not expect "rich" customers to subsidize those lower on the economic scale.

Picture this. A very old house, on a major road in a local neighborhood we have never serviced. A spry, very friendly 92 yr. old independent woman, with a lifestyle that seems to indicate limited financial resources, possibly dependence on social security income.

This is not our demographics and typical customer.

Guess she just hit my "soft spot".

When I give a break I ask them not to mention the cost of the job in conversation. This year a couple who I've been servicing for 10 years asked if I give senior's discount . He and his wife drive Jag's and are well off. It was a $550 deck redo. An uncomfortable polite NO was the answer !!

Off to start a major Maintenance redo on the Big Grey cedar shake House and deck. Just got slammed with work !

Edited by James

That's exactly what I do, ask them to to mention the price to their friends, or at least jack it up 150 dollars or so.

It's Sunday but I just got 2 calls for work. Off we go.