Sign in to follow this  
JFife

Staining my deck

Question

Okay, I've been staining my deck the last few years and posting pics on various sites, showing the wear and tear, etc. and critiquiing the products I've used. Thus far it has been:

1) 2005: Sikkens SRD

2) 2008: Woodrich TimberOil

3) Spring '09: Defy Epoxy

Don't like the SRD, timberoil was a little better but at the 9 month point had faded significantly and was getting mold, DEFY doesn't look bad for 5 months. Getting mold in some areas, I'd guess that by spring it will have lost most of it's luster.

My goal is to find something that is still lustrous after one full year.

Anyways, I am putting on a new deck floor/handrails next week. I am wanting to finish it asap so that I can attempt to slow the warping/cracking of the PTP. I realize this will reduce the stain durability.

So what do people want to see??? I'll give a realistic analysis, critique, etc. I'm thinking Baker's, just because I have far more confidence in the TWP line of products than any other stain. But I am open to suggestions if several people on here would like to see a certain product applied, as I can continuously offer pics, etc. to detail the durability.

Thoughts? Oh yeah, I'm willing to do the deck half/half with two different products if the colors match ok.

75 answers to this question

... I only have one experience with Bakers. Gazebo and dock both stained with BGA super cedar gold/dark mix. Obviously the floor gets no sun, but notice the end of the dock. I replaced 10 boards. You can definitly see the difference. in fact Bakers specifically says not to use on new wood under 1 year old.

Jon,

Ready Seal would be similar. There are a few tricks, but it is near impossible to match old to new PT wood with a semi trans oil.

the second set is my office deck with AC Semitrans Cedar. the steps and stair rails are all new wood. ...

Nice rich color, especially for new PT wood. Looks like you missed the end grain on the right handrail!

Adrian,

I think Baker's uses clay pigments, while Ready Seal uses finely ground iron oxide pigments, except for their Gold color. This difference may account for the better longevity of Ready Seal on your fence.

I believe you are correct. I started out using Baker's for the first couple of years. It's a good product but I always walked away thinking it should have more "oomph" to it. On a deck for a close friend, I have put on two treatments of Bakers over 4 yrs. It is fading at a faster rate than I, as a customer, would consider acceptable. Baker's seems to sit on top a bit while RS seems to soak in better, more of a wood tone than a wood color, if that makes sense. I now use RS exclusively. The end result is nicer, more of the wood grain shows through. The longevity of RS will be watched closely.

Edited by Mountain View

These threads contain so much machismo - my stain is better than your stain. Who cares? I don't understand the attraction to ReadySeal whatsoever - based on my experience with stain of similar composition, perhaps not totally fair. But all that aside, guys like Rick Petry have a great business model using Readyseal, and Ken Fenner has a great business model using Bakers. Isn't it about what makes us succesful in our business? Based on my experience and all the stains I have been using. I believe Armstrong Clark has everything I need to be succesful in my neck of the woods. Has nice colors - offers a semisolid line for more opaqueness for those really problem decks - looks great right awy - penetrates the wood tremendously yet offers ecapsulation by drying resins on the top. I've played around with allowing unskilled labor dropping it all over the place on hot in the sun decks - yet no flashing was present at the end of the job. And if I am to believe reports from others - it will really perform for long lasting results. And I don't have to return a second day to saturate the wood.

Jon,

you have a strange definition of vibrant. I know my experience is limited but that is a beautiful stain.

Very possibly true. I know most of my customers felt the same way---that the RS looked to drab. Kinda has an oily/dirty look. But let me get some pics of what I can vibrant, and you can offer a contrasting opinion. I'll post some pics later and refer quote this post.

Actually Chappy, I don't need to post any pics. Your third pic is what I'd describe as virbrant. The Baker's pics look about one coat of shorty of attaining vibrancy, IMO. That looks about like RS Light Brown to me. I'm not sure how you applied, but with the TWP products, that 2nd "wet" coat is of utmost importance. Really improves the appearance.

It's not compliant. Most of the east coast is not supposed to use it.

Beth

Hello I need to know where you found out that Bakers Gray Away Wood Seal is going to be illegal to sell after 2011? and tell me where did you get the idea that is not VOC compliant? I am the manufacturer of it and I got all the proves, tests and msds sheets that prove it. If you need any information call me at 972-423-0211. I will be happy to fax or mail any information. When the EPA changes laws and regulations our products will follow them that wont change the quality and superiority of my products.

I believe you are correct. I started out using Baker's for the first couple of years. It's a good product but I always walked away thinking it should have more "oomph" to it. On a deck for a close friend, I have put on two treatments of Bakers over 4 yrs. It is fading at a faster rate than I, as a customer, would consider acceptable. Baker's seems to sit on top a bit while RS seems to soak in better, more of a wood tone than a wood color, if that makes sense. I now use RS exclusively. The end result is nicer, more of the wood grain shows through. The longevity of RS will be watched closely.

You have your fax backwards we do not use clay products our products are finelly ground transoxides. Please have your fax fixed by the way Pete you used our products you should know better than to beat my products down maybe you were not using it right.

Hello Jamie P my products are VOC compliant I have MSDS sheets that prove it. If you need one please get in contact with me at 972-423-0211.

The poster wasn't clear----I'm sure he meant to say that Baker's isn't VOC compliant in the Northeast, mid atlantic, and Cali.

Hello Jamie P my products are VOC compliant I have MSDS sheets that prove it. If you need one please get in contact with me at 972-423-0211.

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to TGS. I think you will find that there are alot of firm believers in whatever product works best for them. That's what the thread is actually about that Jon started.

Some swear by BGA and some swear by RS or AC or many others.

I myself am glad that there are those willing to do test' of various products. I have done test' myself with BGA & RS.

I used tons of BGA in Atlanta Ga. as well as RS. And even tons more here in Houston. I just simply like RS in my experiences.

Others keep a BGA bible by their nightstand.

Either way we are all glad you are here. No need to be defensive, because you are witnessing firsthand actual users and feedback of your product.

This stuff is useful to all of us. We are anal about this stuff ( no offense Jon).

We love the wood biz.

Again, welcome to TGS.

Hello I need to know where you found out that Bakers Gray Away Wood Seal is going to be illegal to sell after 2011? and tell me where did you get the idea that is not VOC compliant? I am the manufacturer of it and I got all the proves, tests and msds sheets that prove it. If you need any information call me at 972-423-0211. I will be happy to fax or mail any information. When the EPA changes laws and regulations our products will follow them that wont change the quality and superiority of my products.
Does the current formula have 250 VOC limits? If it is not currently 250 VOC then the current 550 formula will not be legal after changes nationally in 2011 if the government keeps to that deadline. I am sure it could be modified for the 250 VOC limit if need be.

No I think he was trying to address my post which was quoting Jamie P. There is a Jamie in this thread. This is Tom Baker the owner of Baker's Gray Away.

Don't you guys just love it when I play the "stupid" card?

Scott VOC limits aren't the whole story - I use a stain that has a 600 VOC rating and it's a compliant product, some of the 'thinners' used have exemption status from the EPA. Some companies have individually had their products tested and got exemptions for certain stoddard solvents like Cabot's.

Scott VOC limits aren't the whole story - I use a stain that has a 600 VOC rating and it's a compliant product, some of the 'thinners' used have exemption status from the EPA. Some companies have individually had their products tested and got exemptions for certain stoddard solvents like Cabot's.
Yes there is exempt solvents. The main one being acetone. They still need to be labeled 250 VOC though for low VOC states. Cabot labels theirs 250 VOC because of the exemption. TWP 500 series is 350 VOC not 250. They are registered as a "preservative" which allows the 500 series to be used in states that require low VOC even though they are only 350. To register a stain as a preservative costs about $20,000+ per color. At least that was what I was told.

Very possibly true. I know most of my customers felt the same way---that the RS looked to drab. Kinda has an oily/dirty look. But let me get some pics of what I can vibrant, and you can offer a contrasting opinion. I'll post some pics later and refer quote this post.

Jon,

You must have very picky customers. Don't know squat about log homes, but for decks, even old beat up pressure treated, Ready Seal seems to fit the bill in my area and with my customers.

A few before and after pics of a 16 yr. old neglected PT deck. Posted about this one in another thread, 92 yr. old spry and independent woman that just melted my heart. We did the job at not much more than cost, and were happy to help.

No it does not look like vibrant new wood. And it isn't.

Let me know if you want the two gals. of Ready Seal for your deck.

post-170-137772269916_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772269926_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772269936_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772269946_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPetry

looks good, Rick. You know its funny how every area is different. I get crucified if there is even a hint of too much red. I think people don't know what a good looking red is versus that orange or pink that is sold at the box stores.

looks good, Rick. You know its funny how every area is different. I get crucified if there is even a hint of too much red. I think people don't know what a good looking red is versus that orange or pink that is sold at the box stores.

Ken,

Very odd, and I agree. Keep on telling Peirce that the moniker, "medium red" is a misnomer. Much more brown, with just a tint of red.

Off the top of my head, I would guess that over the past 7 or 8 yrs. ~ 70% of our jobs have been stained with Ready Seal medium red. Pressure treated, ipe', mahogany, & cedar, it just seems to be the best and most favorite color.

Aside from newer cedar. Light brown is the best.