Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Check Out This Armstrong Job

Question

24 answers to this question

Here is where it gets interesting. Customer didn't like yellow appearance of Cedar semi trans (spindles were clear cedar) so we added Rustic brown 1:3

freshly_stained.jpg

Went back to look at the deck after 10 days of cure time and this is how it looks. Its like the yellow transoxide said "F.U" to the brown.

10days_later.jpg

I have 2 new construction cedar decks we'll be doing this weekend. I'm gonna find a sweet blend. Both are getting Armstrong. I want to give the product one last serious look and test out over the winter before I decide what to do in '10.

Ken here is my deck from another angle....I think in the photo the red is a little harsh - it seems like the Sierra Redwood knocked out Rustic Brown. But I think it will tone down - I will take another photo this weekend. But it doesn't look as red in real life as it does in the photos.

post-1720-137772271933_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772272008_thumb.jpg

I have 2 new construction cedar decks we'll be doing this weekend. I'm gonna find a sweet blend. Both are getting Armstrong. I want to give the product one last serious look and test out over the winter before I decide what to do in '10.

I don't envy you - I am finding it really counterintuitive staining cedar. Nothing soaks into the stuff! Mahogany which is a real dense wood that you would think nothing would go into just swallows A.C. like no tomorrow. As dry and nicely sanded the cedar is - nothing seems to go in. Staining the cedar skirt board on the deck above was a total joke

Dan and all you other woodies.. what are your thoughts on taking the semi down a notch with a gallon of spirits? It would probably help with the absorption into the cedar?

I don't think it would help much at all. The A.C. was like water that day - seemed to be as thin as straight spirits. There is just something wacky about cedar. I almost think spirits gets in the way of absorption with cedar - as if the cedar traps the spirits and prevents anything else from entering. I puddled the stain on to the railings and decking - 40 minutes later the mahogany was bone dry ready for another coat and the cedar railings still had visible puddles.

It was actually very sobering - gave me better insight as to adhesion problems with oil based primers and typical cedar clapboard siding. Now I know that wood just doesn't accept anything - deep penetrating or not.

I am also thinking about approaching cedar more from a Jim Foley perspective. F' all the percarbs or all the jib-jabber about properly neutralizing and all that other nonsense. I am just going to go back to my roots and 'burn' cedar with a strong tsp/bleach wash - and I don't care if the wood looks bone white and unnatural looking when dry. At least I know it will accept stain better.

Dan and all you other woodies.. what are your thoughts on taking the semi down a notch with a gallon of spirits? It would probably help with the absorption into the cedar?

Did it on some fences but they were pressure treated...so not sure I have any helpful results on that. It was a cost thing more than anything. I think I only used a half gal per 5'er.

Cedar needs to age. Doing it within 6 months of being built is a waste of time because it will look chitty and have to be redone in 6 months unless thats your plan. I like when cedar sits about 4 years ( deck boards)?

Dan, That is the best looking job and photo you've posted. Mahogany is just about the most porous wood i deal with( depends which brand of course) and cambara. They suck oil !!

Cedar needs to age. Doing it within 6 months of being built is a waste of time because it will look chitty and have to be redone in 6 months unless thats your plan. I like when cedar sits about 4 years ( deck boards)?

Dan, That is the best looking job and photo you've posted. Mahogany is just about the most porous wood i deal with( depends which brand of course) and cambara. They suck oil !!

Yeah - that job turned out really nice. After an initial $400 purchase for a used floor sander and $900 in parts later - that was the first job it really worked instead of breaking down. Since I sand - I was never a purist about starting and stopping on wood - this job I ran down each board continuously with the wand. And I used HD-80 full strength with pump-up and Citralic full strength with a pump-up. And of course the A.C. stain - everything just came together nicely on that job.

Here is a pic of the deck in the middle of a second application on decking - for all those that think A.C. is a one-coater - hah! And another pic of someone that dropped by to appreciate my craftsmanship.

post-1720-137772272831_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772272911_thumb.jpg

Ken, from a painters point of view I don't like cutting any coating more than 10% if I can help it. It would be one thing if you were "pickling" then that would be another story but thinning it down too much I would think you are going to lose some integrity in the coating. Use the Natural to cut with instead.

I would also caution you against using new wood to base your opinions of the AC. I really like the product but my experience pales to most here. I will say that I think it works great on both BUT color differences between old/new is like night and day. I have color preferences for new and old wood and they rarely are the same - the color variance and expectation is too drastic with the age of the wood. For example - Super Cedar looks great on new wood but I don't like it on old wood - Redwood looks great on old wood but I really don't like it on new wood.

Ken, from a painters point of view I don't like cutting any coating more than 10% if I can help it. It would be one thing if you were "pickling" then that would be another story but thinning it down too much I would think you are going to lose some integrity in the coating. Use the Natural to cut with instead.

Ken is referring to the inability of stains to penetrate into cedar. We all know it's not good to cut too much - but cedar is just one big pita. Loading it down with spirits is an idea to get something to penetrate. But from another point of view when you saw these products go from 550 down to 350 VOC - that was a reduction of about a quart in thinner. So right off the bat - reducing something by 25% would get you back to previous regulations.

I think I just hate cedar - it furs like mad, especially end grain. And it accepts oil base stain as if the stain was a waterbourne. I have no clue why people would use the stuff - as well, there are countless times when I was fooled into thinking cedar decking was pressure treated. So if it looks close to pressure treated - why not just use pressure treated? I'd rather just use spanish cedar and soak it with cretowood - and give it an annual cleaning and forget about it.

I don't envy you - I am finding it really counterintuitive staining cedar. Nothing soaks into the stuff! Mahogany which is a real dense wood that you would think nothing would go into just swallows A.C. like no tomorrow. As dry and nicely sanded the cedar is - nothing seems to go in. Staining the cedar skirt board on the deck above was a total joke

Daniel,

Nice prep on that cedar deck. Those posts are massive.

Western red cedar, whether new, old, or in between, can be a pain. But I do not totally subscribe to the statements that newer cedar will not take a fair amount of oil stain.

5 month old, knotty WRC deck done this July. Not of the best quality. This wood took 11 gals. of RS natural cedar. The horizontal wood should be serviced about the same time frame next year, but we got about 1 gal. of oil into the wood per 120 sq. ft.

post-170-137772273027_thumb.jpg

Ken, use light colors of AC like Cedar tone or Natural or mix'em, Reducing the solids to 50,60% works better on newer cedar. Light colors don't look as bad on cedar during the aging process. Less pigment the better. My best mix of RS on cedar is half Klear Halph Lite bRown and dilute it with some Natural Toner. Great natural look with enough UV block.

Man I wish folks would take care of their decks down south here like they do up north

Nice work Dan. All you woodies love seeing the pictures. Can I do wood with an Xjet & 12% LOL LOL

Love the wood pics keep them coming

Man I wish folks would take care of their decks down south here like they do up north ... Love the wood pics keep them coming

Jeff,

Who is kidding who? Deck restoration is a niche market that the Condo King

would chuckle at!