Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Won't stay running...

Need help.

My main PW, won't stay running. ( my backup isn't going to pull off the job I have (had) today).

Fuel lines are clean and flowing.

Oil is topped off.

All electronics are in tact.

I start it,.... it runs for 3-5 secs thens dies as if it has been turned off.

My morning customer is understanding of the situation, but I have to get this thing up and running.

Please help.

I pulled the tank and the lines are clear. It has flow.

Briggs 16VG 4/4 electric start.

Man that sounds strang.

I'm sure you did but check the fuel filter, and air filter.

You say air filter??? It was running soo good and it just started acting up it can't be the air filter. Thats what I said one day but sure nuff that was the problem.

Another problem I had was the fuel pump died on me one day.

Just a few things to check.

Good luck!!!!

Have you tried misting a little fuel in the carb just as it begins to stall? If that keeps it running you may have a little dirt in the jet preventing the fuel to flow. Wouldn't hurt to take a look at the float if you've got it apart.

Many bowls on carbs now-a-days have a drain screw in the side at the bottom of them. Try removing that screw and draining whatever water/fuel is in there and see if that helps. If not then go farther with removing the bowl and cleaning the small jet orifices with a can of spray carb cleaner. sometimes the jet is in the bolt that holds the bowl on.....other times its in the center of the carb and take the carb cleaner straw and stick it up in there and squirt away. Good luck.

Edited by Oxfordlawn

Put a couple of ozs. of acetone into the gas tank - and try to use starting fluid to keep it running for a minute. If it's a 'fuel' problem - this should sort it out.

Im wondering if the acetone is safe for the plastic float thats in the fuel bowl....Im not saying it isnt..thats just a thought I had, is it? I dont know

Guys thanks for all of the feedback. I lost a day to this problem but have it worked out enough to get back up and rolling I think.

It was the floats stuck in the bowls.

I disassembled, put it back together and got more fuel than I needed.

Fuel everywhere. I started over and found the plate for the floats was not properly attached to the needle thing under the plate. That why I was getting too much fuel EVERYWHERE.

Disassembled again, got it on properly this time. However it is very sluggish on starting. High speed it runs fine, low speed not so fine. Hopefully it will fire up tomorrow for the job that was supposed to happen today. The customer is very forgiving.

If in fact it gives me trouble starting in the morning. I have a backup guy I can call.

Whole week is booked and I don't need this crap.

BUT, I would like to say a big THANKS for those of you that called today offering assistance.

After this rush of jobs, I may do what Philip said and just get a new carb setup for this thing and be done with it. Have the old one rebuilt for standby.

Just for the record, it is much harder working on a PW than it is using one. For me anyways.

I disassembled, put it back together and got more fuel than I needed.

Fuel everywhere. I started over and found the plate for the floats was not properly attached to the needle thing under the plate. That why I was getting too much fuel EVERYWHERE.

QUOTE]

Next time you work on that carb, have a pair of the needles nose vise grips close by. Pinch off the fuel hose. There are hose pinch pliers made, but it is not a tool you need very often.

More importantly, have a 2A10BC fire extinguisher even closer. Do not get one of those POS Kidde extinguishers with the plastic valve assembly. We see as many as 30 to 50 % that will not work right out of the box.

Thanks Douglas. I have 2 fire exstinguishers on my rig. One, the small "under the sink" kind, and one that is really really heavy and large. I don't know what classification it is. But it will suffice for any PW related incident.

I learned my lesson when I got caught in the middle of a "flash" fire while refueling my pw not too long ago.Some excess fuel landed on the exhaust. One second I am enjoying life, the next I was running for my life. I will never get caught with my britches down again like that.

....unless of course it is with Cindy Crawford. kidding.

Thx.

I have decided to replace the entire carb for this unit.

I have it ordered, and it is mounted by 2 bolts from the underside of intake manifold.

Sounds easy enough. It really is easy to unbolt the thing. Already have the old one off. The downside is, that to get to these "2" bolts, I had to disassemble things I don't even know the name of, and there were only 793,000 other bolts to undo to get to the carb mounting. I am pretty sure I can get it all back together, but what a nightmare. $250.00 for the carb installing myself and losing a few hours. Vs. 500.00 plus to have a tech do it.

I am as stubborn as some of these "DIY" homeowners.

Before I disassembled everything this afternoon, I took it out to the jobsite this morning and it crapped out on me again. Talk about frustration.

I had backup, and the job got completed. But what a headache.

I decided I would just replace the whole carb instead of taking my chances on a rebuild kit.

The new carb should arrive tomorrow, and I give it 3 hours labor to have it back together. Hopefully. Wish me luck.