Sign in to follow this  
burkdog

Need to neutralize sodium percarbonate?

Question

I purchased a product that advertises as "a "deck and siding restorer." The active ingredient in it is sodium percarbonate.

My understanding is that it is not as caustic as sodium hydroxide. I'm aware that sodium hydroxide should be neutralized with an acid bath, but is it necessary to do the same with the sodium percarbonate?

Thanks.

16 answers to this question

It's not necessary. But....I always have applied an acid after percarb wash. Wood tends to darken with the percarb, so brightening was in order. That being said, I am a "bleachnik" so I don't use percarbs much anymore. Either strip with hydroxide and neutralize, or bleach wash and rinse.

as stated above, for best results neutralizing is always best. Precarbs, don't really require it as they are gentle enough not to cause wood damage like high PH products can. Wood Briteners also do other things to the wood though. They can help keep the tannins suppressed when using penetrating oil sealers; they can help lighten the wood so a dark, muddy finish does not happen once sealer is applied; and it can take out water marks, like the ones left behind when the flower pot you left off as the deck is drying that got put back on by the customer. It's a tool you can use to get the best results. The only time I do not see good reason to use briteners are when you are doing a maintanance and your sealers is in fairly good shape when you wash. A pre-carb wash will take off atmospheric dirt. Since the sealer is in good shape, no chems will get to the wood, and the cleaner doesn't really need neutralizing.

Use of it will improve your overall finishes, but your outcome quality is all up to you.......

The question this thread brings up to me, is why do the supporters of percarbs over bleach always use that 'unnatural whitening' caused by bleach to support their rationale of percarbs over bleach - and then in the same sentence talk about 'neutralizing'? If percarbs is the better choice to clean wood with - why neutralize? The whole reason to use percarbs is to get that natural wood look - which you automatically alter by applying an acid.

I think you are mixing two things here. You talk about neutralizing, and the use of bleach. One does not HAVE to neutralize a precarb. Its PH is close to neutral so its is not needed to keep damage from occuring because of the cleaner. A lot will depend on what is planned for the wood after washing. You are correct in saying a precarb can be used to atain the natural color of the wood, depending on which acids are in it and how it is buffered, though it may be a bit darker than the whitening effect of both bleach, or Briteners. There certainly may be reasons when this is desireable. However, if I am to use a sealer that is tinted, especially a semi transparent, then to achieve my best results color-wise, I like to have the wood as light as possible to let the sealers color show their best. When a high PH product, like bleach is used, then I need to use a neutralizer to keep my wood from fuzzing as can happen. I will get a whiteneing from the use of the bleach, which can be desireable for my sealing, but I also want the neutralization to avoid de-fuzzing work. A rule of thumb; the stronger and longer a high PH product is left on the wood, the more chance of fuzzing. So Wood Briteners can be used to neutralise, and be used to allow sealers colors to be brighter. What outcome you are looking for, and what cleaners are use, should help you decide when, and if, to use a Wood Britener. Hope that helps some.

ANY alkaline cleaner will change the pH enough to darken the wood and to potentially diminish the longevity of the sealer you are going to be applying. The vast majority of the sealers and stains out there are mean to be applied to pH NEUTRAL wood, which mean you have to neutralize/brighten to bring the pH back the other direction.

It's your reputation. Just factor it into the cost, and do it.

Beth

I actually add sodium Hydroxide for certain types of cleaning to pre carbs but my favorite mix is bleach and sodium hydroxide. That combo is the bomb.

I wood not recommend and do not use precarbs for maint. of a sealer. It wants to lift off the color and if it's to weak it's useless. Bleach does not affect trans-oxide piggy's.

After using a precarb the wood gets darker so a brightner helps the color.