Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

Getting ready for 2010 season

Question

This winter I have been busy looking at where my business changed in 2009 and where it might be headed in the future. I saw deck cleaning and staining fall off the ledge in July but house washing jump . My best determination from my experience is people were getting their houses ready to sell with more price shopping than usual.

2009 seemed to hit a wall for me in pricing even as my costs went up. My price per sq. ft stalled. The scare in the economy and uneasy outlook for the future made basic projects and maintenance my staple. I was able to book work at the end of the season to start the spring of 2010. Last season I started totally a new and it took until the warm weather came for sales to start.

I also began to look at the political climate in our State as Maryland is deep in debt and more taxes are comming our way. There has been an attempt in years past to impose a sales tax on services and it was shut down by business' stepping up to show their power in Annapolis and Washington. I feel that is comming our way again as our current political class don't know how to cut back.

If you are as concerned as I am I would ask you to take a look at a candidate for US Senate here in Maryland that needs your help in protecting the business enviornment in this state . Jim Rutledge is a conservative . www.Rutledgefroussenate.com No matter what party you are registered as I think this state needs business friendly elected officials to keep us from turning in to California. Take a look for yourself and decide if you can help by getting out the word about Jim Rutledge for Us Senate.

26 answers to this question

Getting ready for 2010 myself. 2009 was a challenging year, but we did more in sales than I budgeted for, and spent less in advertising. Pay close attention to your expenses and bottom lines. Don't work for free! Cut expenses where you can, and really "manage"

I've had some success with teaming with other businesses, and networking groups. These things don't happen overnight, but give them some time, they will pay off. One part of my business will grow 5-fold this year, because of one such relationship.

2010 should be better economically, leave DC out of the picture, most of it won't change til Next year after the elections. Dems seem hell-bent on eliminating themselves from the picture in the next election. The people will vote (unless Dems cancel the elections), and they won't be a factor in 2011. Americans are waking up, and the future will be brighter!

Businesses are failing, because they were weak and didn't have the insight, those that survive, will thrive. They probably shouldn't have been in business anyway. This is part of the natural effect of the free market.

Keep you head up, be flexible to your customers needs, watch expenses, and 2010 will be just fine.

I think my business will do better because we are spending alot more in our advertisement and we work leaner where we can but as for the economy I see this year being probably worse then last year. Obama lost track on what should have been done like finding more work for the people instead of putting so much energy in a nationwide healthcare system that was predestine to fail and now with the lack of the Lady in Mass. promoting herself to be the new democratic Senator from Mass. and Obama not campaigning for her because he thought it was a lock...Ted Kennedy must be rolling in his grave and now there big plan for nation wide Health care has just blew out the window and it was a year lost on Obama's part. So with unemployment going up here in NY as with Forclosures I expect one more bad year with the economy but staying on top of my business will do OK once again.

I think my business will do better because we are spending alot more in our advertisement and we work leaner where we can but as for the economy I see this year being probably worse then last year. Obama lost track on what should have been done like finding more work for the people instead of putting so much energy in a nationwide healthcare system that was predestine to fail and now with the lack of the Lady in Mass. promoting herself to be the new democratic Senator from Mass. and Obama not campaigning for her because he thought it was a lock...Ted Kennedy must be rolling in his grave and now there big plan for nation wide Health care has just blew out the window and it was a year lost on Obama's part. So with unemployment going up here in NY as with Forclosures I expect one more bad year with the economy but staying on top of my business will do OK once again.

Business always drops off around July around here with regard to woodcare. I've never really pinned down what causes it but I think when the kids get out for summer break the attention goes to vacations and such more so than home improvement projects. We put most of the the marketing effort into March through June - slow in July and August and pick it back up late August through October.

Last year we were definately down in sales overall from 07' and 08' - our close ratio was certainly tighter as people were hanging onto thier money. The steel mills did alot of laying off and alot of union trades had alot of layoffs. It was still a "good" year overall as you just adapt to the situation.

2010 seems optimistic... hearing of more people getting back to work and such so we'll see. :) Home shows start up end of next month.

Business always drops off around July around here with regard to woodcare. I've never really pinned down what causes it but I think when the kids get out for summer break the attention goes to vacations and such more so than home improvement projects. We put most of the the marketing effort into March through June - slow in July and August and pick it back up late August through October.

Last year we were definately down in sales overall from 07' and 08' - our close ratio was certainly tighter as people were hanging onto thier money. The steel mills did alot of laying off and alot of union trades had alot of layoffs. It was still a "good" year overall as you just adapt to the situation.

2010 seems optimistic... hearing of more people getting back to work and such so we'll see. :) Home shows start up end of next month.

What he said...^^^

Beth

John , What are doing I didn't hear you ?

LOL My PC was wacked out last night where it wouldn't show my post so I kept reposting it..Sorry Beth for the overkill.

Hey Beth with out sabatoging this thread to much R U happy so far with OBAMA?? My sister in-law who is a die hard Democrat no matter what is pretty disapointed in OBAMA so far. He hasn't gotten us out of any wars, His United Health Plan is about to fail, His stimilus packages have gone to the very rich to give themselves there fat bonuses and hmmmmm oh yea he hasn't created to many jobs.....More I think about it he hasn't done anything except win the Noble Peace prize for.......Something he has not done yet.

As far as 2010 goes I am sticking to a phylosophy that has worked for me the past 18 years. I will prepare to go in the direction that the demand for my services goes. If its more house washes this year then I will be prepared with a new web site to promote that service. I am building that this winter as my current web site draws more on the deck care side. I have a lawn business as well and I am planning on some stiff competition from newly laid off people with their lawn mowers in the back of their trucks . One tactic that has worked well in both business' is to keep prices reasonable for basic services and up sell after you get the job. I will be promoting my services to people looking to sell their house more in 2010 .

I am making inquirey about another service to add on in the wood floor refinishing market . My goal is to have year round work with that.

Edited by jeffex11

Jeff, by all means please start a thread on politics, we welcome it here. It would just be nice to keep this thread about the coming work season. And actually, It was John T who took it off topic, not you. It's all good. You are fine. :)

Beth

k

Jeff, by all means please start a thread on politics, we welcome it here. It would just be nice to keep this thread about the coming work season. And actually, It was John T who took it off topic, not you. It's all good. You are fine. :)

Beth

You can't prove that..what r u talking about??? I don't see that..........OK u got me I'm guilty as charged. I'll start another thread somewhere to see where you stand with Barrack Hussain Obama because I do value your opinion...So I'll get you to shoot from the hip somewhere:)

k

Beth

You can't prove that..what r u talking about??? I don't see that..........OK u got me I'm guilty as charged. I'll start another thread somewhere to see where you stand with Barrack Hussain Obama because I do value your opinion...So I'll get you to shoot from the hip somewhere:)

My wood work died last year about summertime but the house washes picked up. I don't know whats going to happen this year but I'm adding rock masonry for outdoor living areas. A guy that works for me sometimes forte in a past life was that so I'm going to add it in my advertising and try to parle it into some biz.

IMO I think people are going to hold onto their money this year like someone else said but expect 2011 to be very good. Going to take it one day at a time this year with no overhead (every things finally paid for). Keep an eye on the comercial bubble this year, Those places will need cleaned when they start re renting them.

I building my arsenal of pricing and services in anticipation of fighting low ballers and start ups . I have my bottom line prices ready to keep my people from jumping ship if it comes to that. I am aggressively going after all work to build my customer base. I have in the past picked and choose' d but not this year.

I did find a way to turn my pressure washer in to a snow making machine to sell a "white Christmas " but this year mother nature beat me to it. No winter work in this area .