Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Effects of 12% on 25 year old wood.

Question

Entire fence was replaced, so I figured I would take some pics of the original wood. The wood was crumbling in some areas, but the gate is still in tact. Sprayed from a bottle.

Just wanted to show the effects from start to finish was 5 minutes..

post-1033-137772302146_thumb.jpg

post-1033-137772302213_thumb.jpg

post-1033-137772302277_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

I got the order of the pictures backwards. But, yes, an improvement.

On any other day, and wood that is not a quarter century old, 12% can be very effective.

Edited by Adrian

Well, personally I would not stain that wood looking like that, but that's me. It would be blond before we would stain it again.

Beth

Ditto on that :) The underlying color of the substrate (with regard to stains) plays a large role in what the end color will be.

Beth, trust me. You wouldn't have wasted your time or effort on restoring this fence.

Again, the entire fence was replaced due to complete erosion of the wood. 25 yrs.

I just took the one section and used a spray bottle of 12% for no other reason than to demonstrate what would happen to the wood.

I wood be a complete fool to try and restore that wood.

It was just for an example. Why? Who knows...... It's just me I guess. I wanted to share the visual of the 5 minute dwell time.

Ditto on that :) The underlying color of the substrate (with regard to stains) plays a large role in what the end color will be.

This was not a resto project. Just an example of wood from the stone ages.

The gate is not attached to anything. Maybe not so clear in the pics, but it is just leaning against the newly replaced fence behind the gate.

Cmon guys, you know my work better than that. That is just bleach on wood.

I wouldn't just hit with 12% then throw some stain on it.

Edited by Adrian

I wasn't insinuating you would - Im sure Beth wasn't either. I guess my response was more for those who wouldn't know any different. I've done the same with regard to experiments believe me :)

In all reality even that wood could be prepared and stained to look "ok" in appearance. Unfortunately structurally speaking it wasn't worth saving appearantly.

Edited by Greg R

I wasn't insinuating you would - Im sure Beth wasn't either. I guess my response was more for those who wouldn't know any different. I've done the same with regard to experiments believe me :)

In all reality even that wood could be prepared and stained to look "ok" in appearance. Unfortunately structurally speaking it wasn't worth saving appearantly.

Exactly.

I didn't notice the fence in the background, I was drawn to the dirty gate. Old wood can be restored to be beautiful again, the question is, is it worth the work to the owner? Also the species has something to do with it. We have a split rail fence that is about 12 1/2 years old. We are replacing the rails as needed. Many need it badly.

Beth

Yeah, right on guys.

This wood was so brittle that it could be broken in some spot just by grabbing it.

Plus the bottom of the boards ( not pictured) were all ate up and busted.

There are still alot of these fences left over from hurricane Ike that need to be rebuilt in some areas.

Which is actually turning out to be a very active market.

In the long run the fence can now be maintained by yours truely and hold up much better for the next batch of storms.

I would still rather be doing decks. Take what you can get sometimes.