Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Favorite latex deck stain?

Question

So here is the unthinkable for the 'woodie' world.....Do you have a favorite waterbourne/latex deck stain that you actually like

to use? I must admit - I love working with Cabot's 1800 series solid latex deck stain. Some of my happiest customers of '09 where ones I re-stained their peeling latex stain decks. The finished product was beautiful, for those that don't like the look of pressure treated.

19 answers to this question

SW Deckscapes for us. Use it a lot, and it lasts for 3-5 years consistently, even with our climate. We use it for railings on two-tones and full acrylic jobs. Some decks are just not salvageable, and this stain makes them decent again.

SW Deckscapes for us. Use it a lot, and it lasts for 3-5 years consistently, even with our climate. We use it for railings on two-tones and full acrylic jobs. Some decks are just not salvageable, and this stain makes them decent again.

I worked with this stain as well - and it's a killer product. It's actually a Pratt&Lambert formulation that Sherwin corporate decided to use under their own label as well. Here is another useful tip - Deckscapes is an absolute killer product for trex composite decks.

That stuff becomes the deck and not a surface layer.

I find it humorous that some of you balk at the idea of using a solid acrylic. Why wouldn't you take a job like that? Because it's against your principles?? that's just poor business IMHO. I want to help my customers make their deck look good, period. Sometimes this requires something other than the "strip, and refinish" that we most often practice. I service several townhome associations that require a specific color and product. Do I turn that down on priciple? Heck no!! Money is green and thats tho only "color requirement" I have. Do I try to steer folks towards RS? Of course, but some structures are just not a good option for oil. When we use solid acrylic, I call up SW....

I have to say I try to steer most customers to AC. However, there are times that a solid latex is the way to go for them and I can't balk at it. Sometimes color choices and predetermined aspects are in play. I'll use a latex solid when I have to. I'd have to be pretty desperate to ever use a latex semi of any kind. I've used solids and semis in SW, Cabots, Behr, Cuprinol (old SW brand) and some house brands and I'll say with confidence that water base semis are all terrible and hard to apply.

I haven't done it personally, but I came across a customers deck that was under warranty work - whereby the company paid a contractor to stain it - to give it back color. I have to admit - it looked beautiful, was like 2 years old - and not one hint of peeling. It didn't even look like a surface coating, it looked like it had become the composite - if that makes any sense?

I haven't done it personally, but I came across a customers deck that was under warranty work - whereby the company paid a contractor to stain it - to give it back color. I have to admit - it looked beautiful, was like 2 years old - and not one hint of peeling. It didn't even look like a surface coating, it looked like it had become the composite - if that makes any sense?

Was this a sunny site? I cleaned some trex decks..clean only. I would offer this service to one of them at a discount to get my feet wet but they are very sunny sites and we know what sun does to solid deck stains.

Deckscapes here as well when we HAVE too - we always try to talk a customer into stripping horizontals but we'll do verticles in a solid acrylic (2tone). I haven't 'painted' a deck floor in years though :) We've used Woodscapes on sided homes on several occassions though.

Did a few of solid decks last year that turned out very nice. For latex I prefer DeckScapes but also used the BM Waterborne (which I didn't care for)

I've done quite a few solid stains (acrylic latex) when needed. They look really good. I've prepped & solid stained composites before, makes 'em look like new. Behr has a seperate color chart of all the factory colors of the major brand composites. The Behr solid acylic latex is a good product, been using it for 15 years, 2 or 3 years ago they come out with a nano technology formula solid that is very durable. Did a job 2 years ago with the nano solid , looked at it about a month ago, looks like the day I put it on. Behr has great quality paints & solid stains, but we all know their other stains are CRAPPP!!

Edited by acegot
typo's

i've done qite a few solid stains (acrylic latex) when needed. They look really good. Ive prepped & solid stains composites before, makes 'em look like new. Behr has a seperate color chart of all the factory colors of the major brand brand composites. The behr solid acylic latex is a good product, been using it for 15 years, 2 or 3 years ago they come out with a nano technology formula solid that is very durable. Did a job 2 years ago with the nano solid , looked at it about a month ago, looks like the day i put it on. Behr has great quality paints & solid stains, but we all know their other stains are crappp!!

that deck must be 100% shade.....

I'm interested in the composite coating talk here. Have experimented a little, but not with any latex soild. We are talking about composits like Trex, Evergrain, etc.. right? Both recycled polys and wood. I've got to test this, and happen to have some Evergrain and some latex solid SW DS...

Back to the brands... I've also found the behr latex solids to be as good as SW DS solids. Heck, when it comes to paint! Reminds me too much of hard days painting. I'd rather be staining with real stains, but like some have said, the cards are not always the hand we want! And sometimes the pine just needs to be covered up!!

Correct Alan, On composite decking (Trex, Evergrain etc.) you can clean it with a per-carb cleaner or a house wash mix,(if there is a lot of mildew,algae) Rinse well, let dry and recoat with solid color stain of choice.