Sign in to follow this  
big mike

Content theft, again.....

Question

It must mean that my work is good, because I keep getting my pictures and web content stolen. Just happened upon a site that has taken a large amount of pics and wording straight off my site. Third time in two years, I'm getting tired of it

Anyway, you know who you are, so do the right thing.

21 answers to this question

Ron, I would consider you using my stuff an honor. Unfortunately, this person has very little experience in the industry, and is simply taking the easy route. I usually give permission to folks who want pictures or whatever, but I have a mental radius of about 250 miles for that permission. The last two people who STOLE from me, are close enough to be direct competition. I am flattered that these people think I had good pictures or wording on my site, but c'mon. Think of wording yourself and go do some jobs for pictures. I spent a lot of time coming up with my web content, and longer getting enough quality pictures to create a decent image. It really ticks me off that they just use stuff like that without permission.

Mike, post a link to their site but with spaces in it so they don't get any link juice out of it so everyone knows what a lowlife theif they are.

Believe it or not there are some guys out there that think that there is nothing wrong with stealing content, there were threads about this on PT State and some heated discussions but the guy still did not think that there was anything wrong with stealing content no matter what a lot of people said about it, just amazing!

I had the same thing happen to me but I had my web people send him, his hosting company and Google the letters showing him stealing a lot of stuff and to stop and he did.

Good luck.

I will if they don't comply with my request to remove ALL of my content from the site. I don't want to blow the whistle on this person just yet, because I want to hear their response to my request. I know they visit TGS often, so we'll see what happens.....

Hey Big Mike I noticed that you clean Burger Kings Concrete .. Do you deal with the California Company .. ( Something Restaurant Corp ) When I used to clean them I know that around the drive thru windows they had an extra load of bubble gum every month..

around the drive thru windows they had an extra load of bubble gum every month

Yeah John, I guess there's a connection between BK and gum chewing???? Anyway, no we didn't deal with any CA company, all local.

I will if they don't comply with my request to remove ALL of my content from the site. I don't want to blow the whistle on this person just yet, because I want to hear their response to my request. I know they visit TGS often, so we'll see what happens.....

I would post this on every bbs that you are a member of.....and them also. hahahahaha

It is a shame that people will do that in this day and age but lowlife theifs will be lowlife theifs, maybe one day someone out there will do something that makes a good example out of one of those characters to let others know what can happen when you steal content that people spent time on or paying for great things done to their site and those lowlife theifs just go and copy what they want and put it on their site.

It must mean that my work is good, because I keep getting my pictures and web content stolen. Just happened upon a site that has taken a large amount of pics and wording straight off my site. Third time in two years, I'm getting tired of it

Anyway, you know who you are, so do the right thing.

You might just blow the whistle. Often guys pay others to build websites and the designers use other peoples photos. Happens more often then not

picmarkr.com/

This works good

I was just about to suggest watermarking those pictures. Interesting link to a site that will do it free. It's a good idea; I've seen more and more sites in many different industries doing this.

I gave my web designer some sites that I liked. I told him what I liked about them. I have looked through my site and have actually seen some content that was either copied or very similar, but I cant place where I saw it at. I do have my own pictures though.

So if anyone is looking at my site and they see some of their wording, please let me know.

That being said, There is standard wording that gets thrown around in the industry and sometime you may have copied with out even knowing it.

There is standard wording that gets thrown around in the industry and sometime you may have copied with out even knowing it.

Ummm....No. This was copy and paste of my wording, and my pictures. I am going to watermark all photos from now on though, so hopefully it will help.

The person in question, manned-up, and removed the stuff in question. Very apologetic as well, and that will keep me from pursuing it further. I'm just glad I caught it.

That being said, There is standard wording that gets thrown around in the industry and sometime you may have copied with out even knowing it.

I don't buy that either. 100 people can write a paragraph detailing similar information and every one of them will be distinctively different if it came from their own thoughts.

I run my web pages through copyscape.com just about every month and about every time I find at least one thief who has stolen some of the content from my website. It's very frustrating and feels the same way as if they stole equipment right off my trailer. I guess that's the price you pay when you have good content that ranks good in the search engines.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/scrap-book/19126-new-web-site.html

And to think I used to stick up for you when others would bash you.....

Did you look at Carlos site, he has just about everyones Photos. maybe a Couple of Yours. Check it out, if you think Chappy did something you should look there, odds are you will find a few.