Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

Politics, (Sigh)

Question

I was just reading the licensing thread, and saw how it was becoming more and more about politics. The Iron Maiden from Maryland from Maryland suggested that someone start a political thread, and so, here it is.

Points of Discussion,

Liberal VS. Conservative- What is a liberal, and what is a conservative?

Do we all really want the same thing, and just have different avenues of getting there, or is one group, more intent on subjecting others to their will, dragging them kicking and screaming along the way?

I will start. Liberal VS. Conservative. A liberal by definition is someone that want to change something. For instance, most consider me a pretty conservative type of guy. I like many of the things that are in existence now, was not for health care reform in the way it was accomplished, and so maintained my stance. Now on health care I am a liberal. I want it changed, significantly from the bill that is currently in existence.

I think that the more apt description should really be Republican Vs. Democrat Vs. Libertarian. I am registered as a republican, though my leaning are probably closer to a libertarian. Do I vote Libertarian? No, because I don't think that they stand a chance of winning, so I vote, by personal decision on the candidate that most closely aligns themselves with what I believe. For me the last presidential election sucked. I don't like McCain, and Obama scared me then, and has lived up to everything I expected, unfortunately.

I think that the Democrats are more intent on inflicting their will on people. Evidenced by the recent healthcare debacle. When a bill, any bill, is forced through like this one was, it makes it automatically suspect to me. When Congressman are voting on a bill like this, and have not read it, or had their staff read it and analyze it, it terrifies me. The Health care bill was one of those bills.

Now, have at it. You all should have fun with this.

Ground rules, and I get to set them, if there is any name calling, I will pull this thread or that post at a moments notice. Keep it civilized and do not use the anonymity of the internet to give you an alcoholics courage.

22 answers to this question

Really, we need more politics here?

This forum has become so divided over the last 18-24 months. It has really gotten away from what it is really good at, contractors helping one another and sharing experinces.

Can we also have a thread on religon? I'm a Christian. Do you want to know what I think of your religon? If so post your views on your GOD and I will respond.

How about Race, theres a good thread. I'm white, what about you?

Ethnic background?

Pro-life or Pro-choice?

Lets get it all out of the way, then maybe we can talk about power washing, roof cleaning, flatwork, gpm, psi,etc...

Oh goodie! I get a new nick name :dancing:

Beth

a.k.a....the Iron Maiden in MD!

:D I thought you would like that...

And I don't do religion threads, because you are all wrong, anyways.

Edited by Scott Stone

Their are so many threads that are written about............. that I have no intrest in.... But I dont go in those threads and complain.

"side note..I dont know bobby never met or talked to him..have no axe to grind I'm just responding on his point."

also I understand where people want threads with more informational value and that will come....Tgs has a rich history and track record of that.

Cute story...I post something on *** a couple of weeks ago about umacc . And one particular poster torn me apart what a idiot I was and and go away dont bring this here.

here is the funny part ..that same poster/clown is here everyday reading the same posts he was so indignant about at ***.

Edited by dollarspa

I'll speak for myself.

I am a "conservatarian" on most issues.

I don't believe the government needs to confiscate our money and give to the poor. I already do that. Government intervention makes itself the middle man in a charity transaction and sucks the funds dry with administrative costs till there isn't much left for the poor.

I don't believe the government has the right to tell me what I can do with my own body. PERIOD. As long as I am not physically hurting another person in the process.

And YES an unborn child is ANOTHER person and so is that UNBORN child's OTHER PARENT - Meaning any harm that comes to that child by my hands not only harms the unborn child, but harms the OTHER PARENT. I believe a woman has a right to choose- they can choose to not have *** with someone they aren't prepared to have a child with. If they choose to go ahead and have ***, then they've exercised their right to choose and have chosen to bear a child if they become pregnant. I believe a man has a right to choose, they have the same choice, but if they choose to go ahead and have *** then they have MADE THEIR CHOICE and will have to pay for it with an 18-24 yr mortgage payment to the mother.

Drugs are none of the government's business. No lesson was learned from prohibition. Billions are wasted every year on this black hole of waste.

Prostitution is none of the government's business as long as there are no forced participants. That would be slavery and that is already against the law.

The federal government has few rights and responsibilities. States can almost do whatever they please as properly laid out in the constitution. (as long as they don't violate the bill of rights, etc)

The beauty of that is that since we are in a free country, if I don't like what's going on in Nevada I can pack up my stuff and move to a state that more closely mirrors my beliefs. The federal government oversteps its boundaries when it tries to set nationwide policies by way of withholding money from the state. If we stood up to the feds they wouldn't have so much of our money to give back in the first place!

So, there you have it. The beliefs of a MADMAN conservatarian.

Really, we need more politics here?

This forum has become so divided over the last 18-24 months. It has really gotten away from what it is really good at, contractors helping one another and sharing experinces.

Can we also have a thread on religon? I'm a Christian. Do you want to know what I think of your religon? If so post your views on your GOD and I will respond.

How about Race, theres a good thread. I'm white, what about you?

Ethnic background?

Pro-life or Pro-choice?

Lets get it all out of the way, then maybe we can talk about power washing, roof cleaning, flatwork, gpm, psi,etc...

You my friend, are my newest personal hero.

That's funny.

Iron Maiden. That effing rox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What I do love is your nickname.

Of course I love my xjet. Especially when discussing politics, heh heh!!!!

IN all honesty, I think that the forum is more cohesive now than ever. Sure, we all have differing opinions on a lot of things. Sometimes, it even gets into heated discussions, but you really cannot grow and appreciate a person until you know how they feel about a subject. Just my opinion. One of my best friends I have ever had is the State president of the AFL-CIO and is about as far left leaning as a person could be, quite the opposite of me, but we understand each other, and why we each have our positions. It is really a curiosity to many.

I'm an...... AMERICAN!

Sure we all have to register with a party to vote, but the vote should be one of our voice, not of a party. I have voted many ways, Republican, Democrat, Independent, etc.... In each case it was because the person on the ticket best represented my voting choice. I voted as an AMERICAN, I exercised my right.

Beth

One of my closest friends is a life-long democrat AND an agnostic. Re rarely even hit each other. :O

What's funny about the great variety of guys and girls on these boards is they don't always fall to the left or right with a clear division in the middle.

I'm sure Scott and I will disagree on the drug legalization issue. Beth and I disagree on the role of government. William and I disagree on using fire hydrants. The list goes on and on. But I like to think I am friends with all three of them nonetheless.

People will never agree 100%. Everyone should be allowed to say what they believe.

Liberals believe that they know what is best for you. Conservatives believe that you know what is best for you. (An over-simplification to be sure, but pretty close.)

PET PEEVE!!!

Hasty generalization

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Hasty generalization is a logical fallacy of faulty generalization by reaching an inductive generalization based on insufficient evidence. It commonly involves basing a broad conclusion upon the statistics of a survey of a small group that fails to sufficiently represent the whole population.[1] Its opposite fallacy is called slothful induction, or denying the logical conclusion of an inductive argument (i.e. "it was just a coincidence").

Beth

This has been point of contention for me...Labels.

They are imposed by those who like to live within the constraints of what they believe and it excludes or precludes the possibilities of anything that falls outside of them.

This is a major reason why government no longer functions effectively. Conservative, liberal, moderate, moderate conservative, or any other idiosyncratic division only serves to set themselves apart from the others. This is living in a box. Closing the doors and windows to any opposing or conflicting views in order to stay in the good graces of the 'clique'.

I am one of the fortunate ones that keeps my mind free from labels and open enough to listen and consider what anyone has to say and make a determination based upon that instead of ruling it out cause it doesn't conform to the genre.

Keep your labels and no I don't want to be part of anyone's 'clique' either. I enjoy being out from under the pressures of a peer group who only are looking out for themselves and not this countries citizens as a whole.

Cliques, labels and polarization serves those who subscribe to it and opposes all who do not conform. I pledged my allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and not to anything that will try to divide this country from itself. Labels and idiosyncrasies do just that and I am against it cause it is not the American way.

This nation was born of immigrants which means we all had roots in another land and in America, we all blended together to build what we enjoy and maintain today. Those differences helped to shape this nation making it better for all an not just the few.

Don't give me any of the rhetoric about criminals either. They are simply those who do not follow and/or respect the laws of this nation and want to take all they can get without being a part of it legitimately. This is irrelevant to the labels of which I draw point upon.

I ask that no one participate in these particular idiosyncratic ways and remember that we are above all...Americans. United we stand, divided we fall.

Rod!~

There are really very few people that label themselves. Usually people label others. The reason I used the labels I did was because it gives a general idea on perspective. I am someone that is very reflective on what I am doing, and constantly analyzing and reanalyzing my core beliefs, and trying to figure out how it is going to effect not only me, but my children, and grandchildren as well. I don't want missteps now to haunt my family for generations. I already see how things that were done when I was a kid have effected me, and some of them are not good. For instance Social Security started out as 1% in a trust fund. Now it is close to 15% and is put in the general fund, because President Johnson decided the money was needed to finance some projects. For what it is worth, when the Social Security laws were passed, the Roosevelt administration and Congress swore up and down that it would never be raised. Oops...

There are really very few people that label themselves. Usually people label others. The reason I used the labels I did was because it gives a general idea on perspective. I am someone that is very reflective on what I am doing, and constantly analyzing and reanalyzing my core beliefs, and trying to figure out how it is going to effect not only me, but my children, and grandchildren as well. I don't want missteps now to haunt my family for generations. I already see how things that were done when I was a kid have effected me, and some of them are not good. For instance Social Security started out as 1% in a trust fund. Now it is close to 15% and is put in the general fund, because President Johnson decided the money was needed to finance some projects. For what it is worth, when the Social Security laws were passed, the Roosevelt administration and Congress swore up and down that it would never be raised. Oops...

Do you mean to tell us that Congress lied? Next you will tell us there is no Santa Claus.