Sign in to follow this  
Washerman

Anybody ever have this happen to them??

Question

This morning I had a lady call me wanting to know what I would charge to wash a small 3 bedroom brick house....I explained to her that I would have to come look at the house before I could give her a price... I told her I would try to come look at it this afternoon and let her know something in the morning( by the way she just bought the house and hasn't moved in yet so she wasn't gonna be there when I looked at it) anyway when I got there I couldn't believe it.. The place was a wreck. Half the house was brick the other vinyl.. There were bricks missing out of the walls , windows were busted, one whole wall in the back had nothing on it but plywood and some of it was rotten , plus most of the soffit was missing as well. I thought I was at the wrong place so I double checked the address..but that was the house.... She really wants the house washed and it is nasty but I just feel like it's a trap. It would be very easy to cause a considerable amount of damage to what's already there by trying to wash it.... So I think I'm gonna have to pass on it and try to explain to her why.... What are your thoughts??:confused:

10 answers to this question

Be afraid, be very afraid. I always keep a camera in my truck and take pictures of every house, building, anything I work on. Two reasons for this: 1) sometimes before and after pictures are impressive when selling your next job. 2) Most improtantly take pictures of everything including bushes, gutters, driveway, everything. If they accuse you of any damage you have proof that it already existed. This has saved me twice in the past. Once for a roof job and the other for bushes. Both times the HO didn't seem like the kind of person that would do this type of thing. Take pictures and trust nobody. 95 percent of the time you will delete them at the end of the season. It's the other 5 percent of the time it'll save your butt.

Don't ever think people won't try to trap you. I remember one time I was out with Rod doing estimates. We were to look at a house and deck. On the way up the walk we noticed pressure washer damage on the aluminum siding. We get to the door, and the man who called in answered the door but did not acknowledge it was himself. We asked for the man who called in, and the man said "he's not here". Then he said the house across the street got new siding due to pressure washing damage and had we ever heard of that before. We were puzzled....and alarmed. we walked around the house and left. No estimate. When we got back to the office he was rining the phone off the hook and screaming mad that we had not left an estimate. I believe Rod told him he wanted to speak to the man who called in, who was not home. That's when the guy admitted it was him all along. We told him we were not interested, and he screamed and cursed more. Did he want a fall guy for siding because either he or someone else he could not contact screwed it up and he wanted new? You bet he did.

Sometimes you have to trust your gut.

Oh, and EVERY job we do, there are before and after photos.

Beth

P.S. this is ANOTHER good reason NOT to give phone estimates!!!! Good way to get trapped.

Edited by Beth n Rod
added ps

Don't forget to takes pictures and point out the cracks and little holes at the bottom of most vinyl sided houses. They are caused (mostly) from the lawnmower kicking out tiny rocks that hit the siding.

I have been in simular situations with Roof Cleanings and I have walked away. I actually had a Home Owner chase me out to my truck begging me to Clean his Roof. It was charchole black, old and had tons of busted tiles on it. Funny thing is, he kept asking if I had insurance...Ummm, yes I do but I'm not gonna be using it on this job.