Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Who does Awnings?

Who out there does Awnings?

Would like to see some post here on different types so others that are new can learn.

Also do you guys who do them do windows at the same time?

Jon

I'm thinking that awning care may be an underserved market. More often than not, I see awnings that look really cruddy, and could use maintenance.

But then, there are many people who don't take care of their cars, and it doesn't bother them. Just let it get dirty and salty, and careless about tire rotations. They are the kind of people who just use stuff up, and not take care.

I was brought up to always take care of things and make them last, and that's the ideology that drives me to think the way I do.

I see opportunities to offer all kinds of cleaning services, but maybe there aren't enough people who think the way I do about taking care of things. Or is it to let other people take care of things for you?

The hard part for me is convincing people to spend their money on services they don't think they need.

I have done some awnings for a major customer that I do sidewalks for. It can be fairly easy to do. I have used gutter zap on them. I use a soap nozzle to apply and to rinse. You need to be careful not to use too much pressure because you can blow the treads apart. Go to www.doitrightinc.com and find out more about cleaning them. They also have a sealer for them. I will be doing some more after the pollen season and I will post some pictures. I always do the windows with them. It is easy to clean after rinsing with the pressure washer. If you leave the windows dirty it takes away te effect of the clean awnings.

i have been reading on awning cleaning,one thing i can not find is a basic pricing for a starting point.i know the area that you work in sets the price but what is the best way to figure pricing out for awning?

John,

The way I approach pricing awning cleaning is to try and estimate the amount of time I figure it will take, multipled by the hourly rate I want.

Cloth awnings seem to be the hardest to clean. I've had to hand scrub some of them, especially the residential ones that have the scalloped edges that hang down.

Vinyl awning are often more ridgid and usually easier to clean, may or may not require scrubbing.

Metal awnings are a piece of cake. Wash it just like you would any aluminum siding.

I haven't done any really large high awnings like say a Block Buster. Those would probably be a little more of a challange, and would be priced accordingly.

I have only seen a few of you who have tried awning cleaning or who have done the work actually. Is there a reason why you guys don't do awnings.I ordered a video tape from DELCO on Awning cleaning and doesn't really look that hard to do. I would like to eventually like to offer this service---but right now I am concentrating on tile and grout cleaning. Here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I have seen tons of awnings that need cleaning or some type of maintenance work---just like aplus referred too. Just wondering as to why you guys don't attack this area of service---seems like a great opportunity to make some mnay--just my opinion.

I see a ton of opportunity cleaning awnings. They're not hard to clean, and most of us already have some of the chems and equipment required.

The information is available, you just have to do your homework.

Here is a good website for anyone who would like to clean awnings. I have cleaned awnings it is not very hard. But like any other surface take the time to learn. There are many different types of fabrics and vinyls. You can also change the color of awnings. This company has start up packages and even gives you flyers to hand out to costumers. Hope this helps.

http://awningcleaning.com

I find that awnings are my best payer. As you mention, the vinyls are much easier to clean than the canvas.

Have attached 3 sets of awning cleanings that I've performed this year in the photos section. I always get the window account when I've done the awnings!!! I use Winsol products, and Starbrite for the mildew.

Karl.