Sign in to follow this  
Jim Gamble

We Are THINKING about building a Toy Hauler for our larger equipment

What a joke, Believe me I know more about smog laws then you. Like I said above My main issues where 14500 plus pound chassis. The rule for lighter trucks under 14500 lb is you can not add anything to them that was not factory options. And when you get those trucks smogged, it is a flat joke. you pull in they plug in a computer to the truck to make sure you dont have any engine codes, once you pass that like you said they stomp on the gas pedal and look for smoke for so many seconds, the third and last thing that they do is look for upgrades to your truck that you have added, they are supposed to fail you if you have done anything to your truck that was not a factory option. If you got them passed, great for you, but the smog man was to fail you and he didnt, maybe you should post who they are and we can let the CA smog authority know and see how long they keep there lic. My friend has a smog lic and does my smogs, and I have passed everyone so far. He would not pass your trucks if you brought them to him if you have done everything you say you have. He wouldnt want to pay the fines he would get and wouldnt want to lose his lic for you either, come on done to my area and see if you pass.

here is a link you should read. http://www.arb.ca.gov/portable/portable.htm one item you should read is portable fac doc. you will see you are wrong about your 7 days, Portable says cant stay in the same place for 12 months. Alot more info in there you should be up on as well. There is even more in this site that tells you about the tiers and when and what you will have to do to get your stickers and when you have to replace both on tier rating and horse power rating etc.

here is some stuff for 14500 lb and above http://www.arb.ca.gov/portable/portable.htm You cant get by this stuff.

here is more http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf this is compliance for PM filters and when our trucks become Junk.

Believe me I can go on and on and show you more and more. I have to read these sites and follow these rules more then you will ever have too. YOUR STATEMENT ON JAKES IS WRONG TOO, IT MODIFIES THE EXHAUST. Therefor you again cant add these to your trucks if it was not a factory option, and if you do add them it has to be factory parts, not after market. Are you really going to go back to your 10 year statement too? you posted this in one of your responces, Ya your right, i am kidding about the 10 year mark. But I do not think it's to off since it has been so many years since Cali has done anything to Diesel's for smog.

Lastley for this post, Again all you think about is money, If you still feel strongly about how I did pass and why you can not, maybe you should fly up here and I will show you. You could drive with me to an approved Diesel SMOG station, oh pick any station up here in California, for me to smog it again, you pick up all costs, including my time of 2 hours and a nice sit down lunch, Chilli's or TGI Fridays will do. Nothing to expensive. Maybe you should have offered to come here and pass the smog, at no charge to me, and maybe I will offer to buy you lunch when it passes if it will. Jim, I dont really have a problem with you, you will always know more than I will about garage cleaning, But when it comes to these smog laws and or sweeping I will always know more then you ever will. I would never turn down a chance to sit down with you and chat and learn things from you about your type of cleaning and I would be able to have you learn things about my major part of my business. All I am trying to do is educate you about the smog rules that we are all having to deal with.

Edited by rsweeper
miss spellings and copy and paste mistake

Rob,

Here in California, DODGE Trucks equipped with Cummings Diesels, New for 2011, come standard with Jake Brakes and are legal. You cannot order them without the Jake Brake. There is an off switch for residential noise. You have the option to use them or turn them off.

Jim,

I will say that around 20 years ago I used to have 2 show trucks that were lowriders. There was a company that sold neon lights for vehicles that were also LEGAL. However, ask me how many times my friends and I were pulled over for them. At least once a weekend. It came down to what the police determined the lights to be. To put it simple, you dont see any neon on vehicles anymore. Call it a phase or call it police justice it is what it is. So if you think DODGE is going to stand behind you because some residential community called the police for loud vehicles GOOD LUCK. I just went thru this a couple months ago when we got shut down working past a curfew. I explained my rights to the police (working in a res/comm area) and I was correct but they still shut us down. But there are laws. And thats from working. You will be fined. Besides that, now you are jumping from telling us what YOU HAVE to what the newer version is. I am sorry I guess I dont get it when you jump from this to that. And when someone points out a difference you say you are joking.

Come on now Scott, we are just trying to educate him, lol. Maybe we will maybe we wont. And as for the Jake brake part of what he is saying is true. In Ca there are area that a jake can be used and other parts that it cant. But again you can only add it to your truck if it was a factory option or it is modifing the exhaust and is not smog legal in Ca.

Edited by rsweeper

This is just another liberal example of using government rules to eliminate competition while trying to circumvent the rules to beat the competition.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Jim, when you can clean these garages with a Prius, then come back and bring some credibility to all your environmental BS. Until then, Happy Birthday.

Edited by tonyshelton

, Happy Birthday.

He Tony, Thanks for the Happy Birthday.

How is the wife and family?

I heard that you are back on the boards. That you increased your sales what 30k. Good for you !

keep it up.

Jim,

I will say that around 20 years ago I used to have 2 show trucks that were lowriders. There was a company that sold neon lights for vehicles that were also LEGAL. However, ask me how many times my friends and I were pulled over for them. At least once a weekend. It came down to what the police determined the lights to be. To put it simple, you dont see any neon on vehicles anymore. Call it a phase or call it police justice it is what it is. So if you think DODGE is going to stand behind you because some residential community called the police for loud vehicles GOOD LUCK. I just went thru this a couple months ago when we got shut down working past a curfew. I explained my rights to the police (working in a res/comm area) and I was correct but they still shut us down. But there are laws. And thats from working. You will be fined. Besides that, now you are jumping from telling us what YOU HAVE to what the newer version is. I am sorry I guess I dont get it when you jump from this to that. And when someone points out a difference you say you are joking.

Its good to be the King errrrr I meant the law:vroom:

he has a habit of that.

If only I was more like you.

Hey, I almost forgot.....Yesterday I was looking through some of our old emails and found your email addressed to us asking if we can give you some of our Garage Photos for your marketing. You especially wanted those that showed before and after shots of oil removal.

Hey if you need any of our photos for Garage Cleaning (that you requested in writing to us by email), let me know. I understand the last time you asked, I would not give you any, explaining that you should not use someones else work in your advertising/marketing, that you should use your own work.

But maybe if I am nice to you by helping you with these photos that you wanted so badly, you may " Feel" better and not be so sharp with the words. If you want, I will see if I have any photos that you may like and this time, maybe I might have some without our watermark that I will let you use.

Jim,

Why does it seem like you are being very defensive? You wrote your words not Scott. This is what I was trying to explain to you. Not everyone likes hearing how much money YOU spend. You can have your 90k trailer that reclaims and plays music for your guys who wear astronaut suits and I can use my kiddie pool and sump pump (just kidding) and we can still do the job correctly. If we both are capable of doing the job right you are no better than me. Maybe if I spent 90k on a trailer I can get your .28 per sq ft? I know my customers here would laugh at me if I handed them a proposal for that. And you can put your sales pitch in there it really doesnt matter. Like I said I know my customers.

A wise man once told me these words....When your ego is bigger than your words, its time to cash out.

Yep, I tried to include you in an article I was writing for a magazine, back when we were friends. You will notice I promised I would give you full credit, and sent you my email to the publisher that said I wanted you to get full credit. Instead, you didn't trust me, probably because you knew what you would have done in the same situation, and tried to watermark the pictures making them unusable for the magazine, and then did all you could to find out who the publisher was and get an article in yourself. All the while keeping it hidden.

That is okay Jim, I am still cleaning more garages then you on an annual basis, and have been asked to teach, and asked to continue returning to teach at garage conferences, and doing what I enjoy. I am sure that you will agree that they would not ask me to return if they did not think I knew my stuff, or if I was horribly boring.

BTW, I met oneof your customers at a parking garage conference. It was enlightening...

Yep, I tried to include you in an article I was writing for a magazine, back when we were friends. You will notice I promised I would give you full credit, and sent you my email to the publisher that said I wanted you to get full credit. Instead, you didn't trust me, probably because you knew what you would have done in the same situation, and tried to watermark the pictures making them unusable for the magazine, and then did all you could to find out who the publisher was and get an article in yourself. All the while keeping it hidden.

That is OK Jim, I am still cleaning more garages then you on an annual basis, and have been asked to teach, and asked to continue returning to teach at garage conferences, and doing what I enjoy. I am sure that you will agree that they would not ask me to return if they did not think I knew my stuff, or if I was horribly boring.

BTW, I met one of your customers at a parking garage conference. It was enlightening...

Not extract true.

I like how you twist the truth to benefit your version. Remember, I still have those emails, but it's all good. I know how you are now.

Is that like you twisting the smog laws to say you are good for 10 years

Look it Ed. I know you want to make points here. That is fine with me. The fact is I would of been happy to show you how to apply these loop holes for your trucks. Not a problem. We are here to help each other, not back stabbing each other by talking to your clients behind ones back. Something I have never done before to a contractor that I knew. Nor have I ever used someones photo's saying it was my work. Just not me.

Again, I will be happy to show you how I did it.

Let me give you an example.

I went and applied for permits for an addition to one of our homes. We wanted to build a carport. The city said " How far from the fence line" I said about 3 feet. This lady said " No Way" the law states 5 feet. I asked to see the law in the city book. She got all bent out of shape saying that she has been doing this for years. That she new the law. I asked politely if I could just see it for myself. She opened the book, turned to the exact page in no time at all. She went and read it to me. I again asked if I could read it for myself. Again, she gave me an attitude.

My purpose here was for the paragraphs before and after. You see, I was looking for exceptions to this law and I found it... on the next page. The law clearly stated 2 exceptions.

1. Stairs

2. Porch

I looked up the definition on a porch on my phone:

A porch (from the Catalan word porxo)[1] is a structure attached to a building, forming a covered entrance to a vestibule or doorway.[2] It is external to the walls of the main building proper, but may be enclosed by screen, latticework, broad windows, or other light frame walls extending from the main structure.

I quickly stated that I was mistaken and that this was a drive thru porch, not a car port.

Though I call it a car port, it is by definition a porch. I got my permits.

Funny thing here, my neighbor wanted to do the same thing a few years ago. He told me, like you are doing now, that I was dreaming, that he new the law, that I was mistaken just like you are doing now.

RESULTS:

I got my porch..... I got my fleet to get passed by several smog stations. Some trucks having over 600+hp.

Though you may be right in your quotes, there are always exceptions.

I would of taught you that, but you did not want to listen. To bad.

And please, refrain yourself from making comments on a BBS to me in a derogatory manor. I do not treat you in that manor and I expect the same from another professional contractor as well. It is simply not professional.

Funny thing, I have them too, and so do others, that I sent them to a long time ago. I am trying to figure out how they were modified. I did mention in them that I did not have any pictures that I could use. Is that how you are trying to make me out to be a liar? Sort of like the story that you have told multiple people how another contractor local to me asked me about a price for a parking garage, then I went in and undercut it? That one isn't true either. Quick way, if I am so dishonest, on at least that story, who is more discredited? If that is true, why didn't he ask to use my recovery equipment as part of his bid, instead of going with another contractor? Does that make sense? Ask someone for advice, and then partner up with someone else to do the job?

What a joke, Believe me I know more about smog laws then you. Like I said above My main issues where 14500 plus pound chassis. The rule for lighter trucks under 14500 lb is you can not add anything to them that was not factory options. And when you get those trucks smogged, it is a flat joke. you pull in they plug in a computer to the truck to make sure you dont have any engine codes, once you pass that like you said they stomp on the gas pedal and look for smoke for so many seconds, the third and last thing that they do is look for upgrades to your truck that you have added, they are supposed to fail you if you have done anything to your truck that was not a factory option. If you got them passed, great for you, but the smog man was to fail you and he didnt, maybe you should post who they are and we can let the CA smog authority know and see how long they keep there lic. My friend has a smog lic and does my smogs, and I have passed everyone so far. He would not pass your trucks if you brought them to him if you have done everything you say you have. He wouldnt want to pay the fines he would get and wouldnt want to lose his lic for you either, come on done to my area and see if you pass.

here is a link you should read. http://www.arb.ca.gov/portable/portable.htm one item you should read is portable fac doc. you will see you are wrong about your 7 days, Portable says cant stay in the same place for 12 months. Alot more info in there you should be up on as well. There is even more in this site that tells you about the tiers and when and what you will have to do to get your stickers and when you have to replace both on tier rating and horse power rating etc.

here is some stuff for 14500 lb and above http://www.arb.ca.gov/portable/portable.htm You cant get by this stuff.

here is more http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf this is compliance for PM filters and when our trucks become Junk.

Believe me I can go on and on and show you more and more. I have to read these sites and follow these rules more then you will ever have too. YOUR STATEMENT ON JAKES IS WRONG TOO, IT MODIFIES THE EXHAUST. Therefor you again cant add these to your trucks if it was not a factory option, and if you do add them it has to be factory parts, not after market. Are you really going to go back to your 10 year statement too? you posted this in one of your responces, Ya your right, i am kidding about the 10 year mark. But I do not think it's to off since it has been so many years since Cali has done anything to Diesel's for smog.

Lastley for this post, Again all you think about is money, If you still feel strongly about how I did pass and why you can not, maybe you should fly up here and I will show you. You could drive with me to an approved Diesel SMOG station, oh pick any station up here in California, for me to smog it again, you pick up all costs, including my time of 2 hours and a nice sit down lunch, Chilli's or TGI Fridays will do. Nothing to expensive. Maybe you should have offered to come here and pass the smog, at no charge to me, and maybe I will offer to buy you lunch when it passes if it will. Jim, I dont really have a problem with you, you will always know more than I will about garage cleaning, But when it comes to these smog laws and or sweeping I will always know more then you ever will. I would never turn down a chance to sit down with you and chat and learn things from you about your type of cleaning and I would be able to have you learn things about my major part of my business. All I am trying to do is educate you about the smog rules that we are all having to deal with.

My trucks dop not apply to 14,400 GVWR. This is where your problem lies.

http://www.dodge.com/en/commercial/2010/ram_chassis_cab/capability/towing_payload/

Look it Ed. I know you want to make points here. That is fine with me. The fact is I would of been happy to show you how to apply these loop holes for your trucks. Not a problem. We are here to help each other, not back stabbing each other by talking to your clients behind ones back. Something I have never done before to a contractor that I knew. Nor have I ever used someones photo's saying it was my work. Just not me.

I went and applied for permits for an addition to one of our homes. We wanted to build a carport. The city said " How far from the fence line" I said about 3 feet. This lady said " No Way" the law states 5 feet. I asked to see the law in the city book. She got all bent out of shape saying that she has been doing this for years. That she new the law. I asked politely if I could just see it for myself. She opened the book, turned to the exact page in no time at all. She went and read it to me. I again asked if I could read it for myself. Again, she gave me an attitude.

My purpose here was for the paragraphs before and after. You see, I was looking for exceptions to this law and I found it... on the next page. The law clearly stated 2 exceptions.

1. Stairs

2. Porch

A porch (from the Catalan word porxo)[1] is a structure attached to a building, forming a covered entrance to a vestibule or doorway.[2] It is external to the walls of the main building proper, but may be enclosed by screen, latticework, broad windows, or other light frame walls extending from the main structure.

I quickly stated that I was mistaken and that this was a drive thru porch, not a car port.

Funny thing here, my neighbor wanted to do the same thing a few years ago. He told me, like you are doing now, that I was dreaming, that he new the law, that I was mistaken just like you are doing now.

RESULTS:

I got my porch..... I got my fleet to get passed by several smog stations. Some trucks having over 600+hp.

And please, refrain yourself from making comments on a BBS to me in a derogatory manor. I do not treat you in that manor and I expect the same from another professional contractor as well. It is simply not professional.

Jim,

Who made any derogatory remarks? You put yourself out there and people called you on it. You say one thing and when I said something different (and correct) you turn it around and say you are joking. Thats not too professional now is it? Like I said from the beginning you may know a little and thats ok. But stop making it seem like you have this huge ego because you spent 90k on some trailer that you can sit in your truck and do all the work by remote control. Its getting old. I see your blogs and comments everywhere and quite frankly you are not always on the mark with your writing. I dont know you area and quite frankly will never come to CA to wash anything. But I dont get on here telling all these contractors I know CA laws because I put this on my trailer or I called someone. Or I know how to get around the laws. We all know how to get around certain laws. Just stop fabricating your stories and twisting them to suit your needs at the time and you will less frowned upon and probably welcome back to more BBS'. I feel like I am talking to my daughter on how to do things and not lie. Thats bad man.

1. Stairs

2. Porch

RESULTS:

Well first off, if you think I am here to make "brownie points" No couldnt care less, if you think im here trying to pointout things to you and others that would help them, Then yes. If you think im here to try to out do you, make you look like a blank, or any other thing, Again couldnt careless to try and deface you.

Are you acussing me of using your pics, talking to you customers. I have never used your pics or anyone elses for anything, I dont even have a web page to post them on. As for the customer thing, I have never talked to any of your customers for any reason period. I have never to this date been asked to clean a damn garage. So I do not get why you seem to be acussing me of that.

As for your idea of bringing porches up to compair what we were talking about is a joke, why dont you just say what you did for the passing of smogs with equipment that does not pass in CA. Again if you have added all the things you have stated to trucks that are below 14500 lb unless it was a fractory option, CA says you canot add them. If anybody passed you they had to do it under the table and take a chance on loosing there smog lic.

And to your last paragraph in your post, re read it to yourself, I have not treated you in any derogatory way, if you feel that i did, you are mistaken and I will say im sorry that you took it that way. You stated in that same paragraph, you didnt treat me that way, Re read your first paragraph, you accused me of doing things that i have never done to you. You also stated that you would have taught me, but I would not listen. You have not posted anything that you have done to pass anything, so how am I not listening.

Balls in your court now to dig your self out.

My trucks dop not apply to 14,400 GVWR. This is where your problem lies.

http://www.dodge.com/en/commercial/2010/ram_chassis_cab/capability/towing_payload/

No your trucks dont apply to alot of the things that I posted for your info. I mostly am dealing with those. As for your trucks under 14500, Ca law states that you can not add anything to them that is not a factory option. I dont worry about passing smog with my duall pickup, always have passed the smog. Bone stock Chevy with plenty of power, I tow a fully enclosed 48 foot race car trailer fully loaded and dont have any problem towing it. Pulls right on up every pass that I have had to climb from so cal to idaho. O and by the way i didnt have to do anything to my truck frame, that is a real problem with a Dodge truck as I have been told.

And i doubt that you would be able to show me any loop holes that would help me as like you stated your trucks are under 14500 lbs, the law for those is different for my trucks that are above 14500.

Edited by rsweeper

He Tony, Thanks for the Happy Birthday.

How is the wife and family?

I heard that you are back on the boards. That you increased your sales what 30k. Good for you !

keep it up.

That's not an exact figure Jim, but you can pin it down more accurately when you run my credit and look at my tax returns later this year.

that's not an exact figure jim, but you can pin it down more accurately when you run my credit and look at my tax returns later this year.

Sounds fimilar? Where did that happen before??????

Edited by Russ Spence

That's not an exact figure Jim, but you can pin it down more accurately when you run my credit and look at my tax returns later this year.

Jim your looking at Tax returns?

You guys are so mean to Jim, he just wants to get along with you guys.

www.powerwashnetwork.com

Mark sells hydrotek stuff Jim, I'm sure you could help him and Carlos out.