Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

Hurricane Frances

Question

Well, My power is finally back on, and my yard is a wreck, but at least we're still here. We had tree limb punch a nice size whole in our roof, but other than that it was just a long sleepless night.

I have never experienced a hurricane before and after that I know I never will, at least in my house which is on the St. Johns River and surrounded by trees. We only had 40 to 50 mile an hour winds with gusts up to 60 to 70 and Frances brougth down dozens of trees and tossed boats and docks around like childrens toys.

If we ever have a direct hit here I will most definetely be some where else.

With what we got from this storm being on the out skirts of its wrath. My thoughts and prayers go out to those of you in Central Florida of which endured the strongest of what this Hurricane had to offer. I,m sure many of my Fellow Floridians are still with out power, but we hope to here from all of you soon.

23 answers to this question

Easy for Seymore to say that being out in the plains of Texas where the cattle roam and the wind hardly blows!

CC just think of all the firewood you now have.

Next one invite me there, I truly love living on the wild side and that would be something I want to experience. Needless to say another thing is this boat the Coast Guard has that can totally roll over in a storm and right itself again, now that I just must experience.

Who knows someone way high up in the Coast Guard that can pull strings and get me on that boat?

I'm serious guys.

Lance,

Good to hear you are doing okay.My parents live in Jax(they haven't had power since Sat. evening and lost phone Sun afternoon)I was relieved that they came through without major damage.

While we haven't has the sevre weatehr that Florida has,we are getting the leftovers of Frances now.Rain and light winds started Sat. afternoon.By Sun. we were getting steady rain and winds between 40 - 60 mph,we are expected to get 5" - 10" of rain between now and Wed.

Here are some pics from around town.

The pine tree top on the fence is in our backyard.The fence stopped the tree from hitting a large propane tank.

The awning is on an auction company here in town and the oak tree is in the yard of the church we attend,we cleaned the building and concrete about 2 weeks ago.

post-306-137772138845_thumb.jpg

post-306-137772138849_thumb.jpg

post-306-137772138851_thumb.jpg

We just got a lot of small limbs blown around, the whole thing just missed us to the north. Charlie missed to the south.

My kids were asking how God answered prayers. and of course my response was that he kept us safe and no damage. But of course my chimes in,"what about those people with just as much faith that were wiped out, or died?" tough theological question, huh?

Another one on the way too.

Next one invite me there, I truly love living on the wild side and that would be something I want to experience. I'm serious guys.

Yeah, it was so exciting, I wish you'd been here. We lost power at about 8:00 Sunday night, after a good day's rain and wind...lots of limbs and tree debris around. You can't imagine how much I felt like I was living on the wild side sitting around in the house with the rain pouring, the wind blowing, no lights, no tv, no computer, no internet, no phones, no air conditioning, and heating the house up with lanterns and candles. Oh, and having to catch water from the roof in 5 gallon buckets so we could flush the toilet, THAT was exciting!!! Two nights trying to sleep on a small bed (there's a LARGE dying oak tree in the back yard that, if it went, would fall on our bedroom, so we slept in another room) in the pitch black dark sweating. The power didn't come back on until yesterday morning, and the phones came back yesterday evening...and there are still lots of folks with now power. And now that the storm is gone, it is humid and HOT again, with no breeze.

It was SOOOOO much fun! And here comes Ivan! You're invited! You can sleep on the couch, since we'll be back in the guest room.

I'm buying a generator this week. :)

We just got a lot of small limbs blown around, the whole thing just missed us to the north. Charlie missed to the south.

My kids were asking how God answered prayers. and of course my response was that he kept us safe and no damage. But of course my chimes in,"what about those people with just as much faith that were wiped out, or died?" tough theological question, huh?

Another one on the way too.

(Mat 5:45 KJV) That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

(Mat 5:45 KJV) That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

thats exactly what I told her, just with out the ye's and 'eth's.

Guys you know I as others worry about your safety and welfare and are truly happy for most of you suffered minor and not majoy damage.

Face it a California earthquake is nothing compared to what you go though and they don't even wake me anymore.

And yes I truly would love to be in one of your wild weather days.

Welcome back on board.

Generator, be sure you sink it into deep concrete so it stays and the fuel tank below ground.

I figured most of you would have backup power there.

Guys you know I as others worry about your safety and welfare and are truly happy for most of you suffered minor and not majoy damage.

Face it a California earthquake is nothing compared to what you go though and they don't even wake me anymore.

And yes I truly would love to be in one of your wild weather days.

Welcome back on board.

Generator, be sure you sink it into deep concrete so it stays and the fuel tank below ground.

I figured most of you would have backup power there.

What do you mean sink it into deep concrete, and why?

To be honest, this is the worst weather I've ever seen in this part of Florida...The last time a Hurrice came close was Elena in 1985, and that wasn't nearly this bad. The problem was that it took 2 1/2 days for it to pass...Usually a hurricane will come and go in a day or less...This one was very large, and was moving very slow. We started getting weather late Saturday night, and it finally stopped raining yesterday evening. It was the extended period of time with rain and winds that took many trees down, and thus, power lines and all that. So no one here is really experienced in needing back up power. I can't remember the last time the power was out for more than an hour (except when a drunk guy broke the power pole in 1/2 right outside our house and it was down for a few hours). I may not need the generator for another couple years, but I'll have it when I do.

I agree, I have lived here for 30 years (my whole life) and this was the worst that I have ever seen. I don't exaggerate when I say that it was one of the scarest things that I have experienced. Sunday night (which was when we recived the worst) I did alot of praying. We have many trees around our home and every time we would get a huge gust I would cringe in anticipation of one of the trees crashing through. Thankfully the most damage we recicved was the limb that came through. being next to the river, we got twice the amount of wind as other areas around here. Our power was only out for about 16 hours which was really good compared to others around here who will not be back on line till Monday.

This storm, for me, has been somwhat of a humbleing experience and as I stated above, if this is what we got on the out skirts of the storm I really feel for those who took its worst.

What do you mean sink it into deep concrete, and why?

Perhaps I should have said make sure you mount it on something that will not blow away, hench sinking a concrete slab into the ground then bolting the generator to it.

Gotcha! Though, if the wind gets to the point where the generator will blow away, there won't be anything left here needing electricity anyway! :)

The most recent track for Ivan has it making a beeline for the Port Charlotte area, then Tampa, then me...

Makes one wonder if someone in FL has really ticked God off or something! :)

post-30-137772138854_thumb.gif

Mike hop a plane and come out here, weather is in 100s but no humidity and leave it there please.

We have a guest bedroom so you can stay till it is truly safe to return, oh and I can always use a good experienced worker:)

Mike hop a plane and come out here, weather is in 100s but no humidity and leave it there please.

We have a guest bedroom so you can stay till it is truly safe to return, oh and I can always use a good experienced worker:)

It is tempting! Ivan is now a category 5 hurricane, with 160mp winds, and likely to strengthen. If it doesn't weaken ,and comes this way, I'm heading to relatives house in GA for a couple days. After seeing the damage caused by 45-60mph winds, I have no interest in experiencing 160mph winds.

Looks like they got a good bit of flooding in NC and VA...hope everyone up that way is ok.

I haven't worked since Friday, and if we get Ivan, it'll knock at least another 2-3 days off the schedule. OUCH! I may have to fly out there and work just to pay the bills!

My parents are out there now, on vacation...They're in Morgan Hill right now, headed north, but they've told me how hot it has been. No fun!

Here in central NC we've all gotten out the snorkels and flippers - we haven't had the wind but if we get much more water I think all of North Carolina just might be a great big ole lake. It's making any kind of wood cleaning IMPOSSIBLE! But, isn't this the kind of stuff that makes the mildew and mold grow like crazy?

Celeste

Hey guys make sure Ivan reclaims all that water he puts down!

CWA lesson 101, you put it down you pick it up.

IVAN you listening?

A friend sent me this via e-mail:

We're about to enter the peak of the hurricane season in

Florida. If you're new to the area, you're probably

wondering what you need to do to prepare for the

possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one." Based on

our experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple

three-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1. Buy enough food and bottled water to last your

family for at least three days.

STEP 2. Put these supplies into your car.

STEP 3. Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Thanks-

giving.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not

follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay

here in Florida. We'll start with one of the most important

hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE: If you own a home, you must have

hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap

and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic

requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and...

(2) It is located in Nebraska.

Unfortunately, if your home is located in Florida, or any

other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most

insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane

insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU

money, and that is certainly not why they got into the

insurance business in the first place.

EVACUATION ROUTE: If you live in a low-lying area, you should

have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether

you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license;

if it says "Florida", you live in a low-lying area.)

The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being

trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you

will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from

your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees.

So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane

draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast

of the situation by turning on your television and watching

TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean

and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for

everybody to stay away from the ocean.

Good luck, and remember: It's great living in Paradise

(a.k.a. "The Sunshine State").

After 19 years here, I still cant figure why people talk about florida as paradise.

Its flat,(Putting it in the worst catagory for a mountain boy), Muggy for 9 months of the year. covered in crocodiles,(which does keep the poodle population under control though,) mosquitos are outnumbered only by the roaches, and sharks in every good swimming or surfing area, and the highest population of blue hairs in the country.

And of course the hurricanes.

Boy do I miss the mountains of NC right now. Shouldnt have married a native floridian. Que sera.

I was lucky through francis, just a few more tree limbs that charley missed and not much more. Charley how ever knocked out power for 9 days and droped the top half of my 120 yr old live oak, all which were laying in the front yard. I have a salt water fish tank and lost everything in it. Francis I slept through, charley I shook through. If you watched the reports my county recived the most damage from the 2 storms 480 million. the other counties avrage about 15-80 million.