Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Day light savings?!?!?!?

Question

I for one believe that the usefulness of this time change has been outlived.

It cuts into our work day and keeps us from being able to get to dry wood until around 10:00!

If the time was kept as it were, by the time my crews would arrive (9:00) the dew would be burning off and they would still have till around 6:00 to get the work done. Instead, we get up an hour earlier and have colder temps to deal with and less light to work with in the afternoon when it has gotten warmer.

Anyone else have anything to share?

Pro's?

Con's?

Rod~

12 answers to this question

I hate it!!!! It's dark when you get up to start your work day at daylight and then it's dark before you get home good. It's bad for moods, causes depression and it's colder more. We can't get nearly as much done.....it's kind of rude to be cranking up the machine at 7:00 am in a neighborhood but it's the only way to get everything done in a day anymore. I hate it!!!!

Done ranting :)

Celeste

The only reason I get up that early is to go fishing..lol

My crews start at nine in the morning and work until 5pm then they quit and drive back in.

In Winter when it's freezing in the morning we start at 10am.

Why rush to get out on frozen dangerous roads? Things don't thaw out until then anyway.

The wife is more cranky when she gets home now!

I agree with the problems of starting up at 7am...I do feel kind of bad about the neighbors. Bad for my janitorial business also as most of the bosses generally come and go with the sun...before the time change when it's dark until after 7:30, nobody shows before 8:15 or so, so I have a little play room. Now, people show up around 7:15, so I've got to be even earlier and faster to avoid being in their way.

I hate it too. Between it and the cold it kills the possible work hours we have. This is a real pain for new construction flat work. Can't start before 8:00 for us and need a temp of 35 or higher.

Start at 8:00 because you don't want to be the one trade on site that is ticking off the neighbors, and 35 degrees because we do the homes the day before the walk through, finish one at 4:30 or 5:00 and the temp drops, the liability for a slip or fall the next morning is too great.

JD

Well here's a point of view from someone that lives in a state where we DONT change times, its the same time here year round (spring & summer we are in central time, fall & winter we are in eastern time)

I would prefer to be on daylight savings time, during the spring and summer it gets darker sooner here then it does elsewhere because we dont "spring ahead" an hour, yeah it sunny at 5:30 am, but who's awake at that time for you to go to their house and work? Daylight savings does help in the spring & summer.

As for fall & winter.... it doesnt matter if what time zone your in, it's always gonna be cold and it will always get dark way to early. It's got nothing to do with time changes, it has to do with the angle our earth sit on towards the sun.

The earth is never in the same spot 2 days straight, why should we not adjust the times to keep up?

I hate it too. Between it and the cold it kills the possible work hours we have. This is a real pain for new construction flat work. Can't start before 8:00 for us and need a temp of 35 or higher.

Start at 8:00 because you don't want to be the one trade on site that is ticking off the neighbors, and 35 degrees because we do the homes the day before the walk through, finish one at 4:30 or 5:00 and the temp drops, the liability for a slip or fall the next morning is too great.

JD

Oh how I know this world!!!!!!

Celeste

And then there is the flip side.... (there is always a flip side)

In the summer, deadly hot, 95 degree days, going from 7am till dark, working 7 days a week, you are darn near ready to drop, and the people just don't understand why you can't get there any faster. Never mind the lack of time off or the sheer exhaustion...

But - I too am not a fan of daylight savings, and don't like the dark winter months.

Give me warm :sunshine: sunshine!!!! :sunshine:

Beth

Hey Scott,

I know about Arizona, Tucson native here.

Moved to Missouri (Rod's Dictionary-pronounced misery) and found out about daylight savings for the first time and thought I warped into the twilight zone. It was a rude adjustment to make and I have been opposed to it since.

Rod~