Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

Vinyl Lettering

Question

Has anyone ever done their own lettering on the truck or trailer?

I haven't had my newest truck done yet and I hate the idea of handing over 1000 dolars for it (I could get a few tanks of gas for that price). I applied the lettering on my last trailer and it came out fine.

For the last several weeks I have been doing plenty of research then finally bought my own vinyl cutter/plotter. I watched every Youtube video available about graphics and plotters. I doesn't look very difficult to create your own designs.

Well, I'll keep you updated. The machine should be here the first week of May.

49 answers to this question

About as much as you bringing up your PRIVATE invitation only filtration event in a thread about vinyl lettering I guess. Glad we have helped you make a name for yourself, shows the power us three have. Thanks for the compliments.

Sure. Not a problem.

Oh, and Doug, when you do talk to Sgt Walsh to say thank you for attending your UAMxx event, which I am sure you did...Say Thanks...just thanks.

I'm following you because you are going down as a fraud.

Now that I no longer have to be physically present to run my business I have the free time to take this on full time.

You are going to regret having ever messed with this industry when the mere mention of your name to any authority has them running the other way for fear of litigation.

I have documented every ridiculous and uneducated EPA claim you have ever made on the boards in it's full misspelled glory and will be taking it around for the amusement and study of all the real people behind the fake and anonymous phantom enforcers you frequently quote. I will find if there is prosecutable fraudulent statements and if so, I will file a complaint myself personally with great satisfaction.

Pray for my success Jim.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is a THREAT and should be dealt with !

signs are great, I see that you would get many calls. Especially in Scott spot, high visibility on the street 99% of the time.

Ron, Have you noticed that since Tony response in post 8, none of his posts are related to this thread?

This is a THREAT and should be dealt with !

This is no threat. I have been working on this for months locally in preparation for your invasion of my region which currently has bmps less restrictive than Robert's and no intention of changing them.

Your visit here will be documented by the officials who I am in contact with and subpoenas will be requested for your material if you come here lobbying for restrictions that are not currently in place.

I will be taking a trip to San Francisco. We had planned on five to six weeks from Washington to LA this summer sightseeing but Shelly agrees that shutting down your deceptive influence right there at the source would be worth sacrificing the entire 6 weeks if that is what it takes.

Your crusade to require filtration for everything is about to come to a screeching halt when I begin asking the officials in your area which of them gave you permission to quote them to make the dozens of false claims I have screenshot of yours for the past 4 years and printed. Since taking on the representative position with the PWNA you have opened yourself up to legal territory that was unavailable before.

I represent no one but myself and my son. You had a good thing going. With your regional garage cleaning at near criminal profit margins (if any of that is to be believed) but your desire to be recognized as some kind of expert or leader when you clearly don't possess the character for it will be your undoing.

You wood guys can thank me later. He and Robert have already been working on getting the exemption for runoff into grassy areas removed. You were next on the target list after concrete cleaners.

Please note, I have made two posts in this thread. The first was about signage on my trucks. I have 25 of them, and they all have signage on them.

The second was to address Jim's accusation of Tony causing drama. Since I have been directly threatened and berated by Jim on multiple occasions simply because I disagreed with him. There are screen shots available where Jim stated that he was working with local authorities in such a way that it could damage my business. If that is not a direct threat, and if that does not show what the goals of Jim are, then I would be shocked.

Additionally, I have other posts that have shown how Jim has pried into proprietary information on my business, including researching meetings that have been held, and then tried to promote to others that my business is on a failure mode. I find that offensive. I am sorry if I get my panties in a bunch about it, but really, I have never attacked anyone, or made efforts to work against ANY contractor in this industry. In fact, I would say I have even gone out of my way to help people to clean things properly and legally.

So, if Jim is worried about drama, then so be it. I feel he has attempted to damage my business, and my families livelihood in a very direct, and obvious way. That he is so insecure that he feels someone is attacking him based on disagreeing with methods, I would suggest counselling. I might even have a few bucks to chip in to help defray the costs.

Be it known, that I am sick and tired of Jim doing illegal background checks, probing into anything that has to do with my customers, and even researching, poorly by the way, the financing arrangements I have on my equipment.

Jim, I know you are going to read every word of this. I am tired of you meddling in my business. Stay out of my life, stay out of my business. Go and build your own business on your own abilities. If you feel threatened by me, I have done nothing but run a rock solid, very profitable business for the last 23 years. All of my customers are happy, my bills are paid, and I am going to continue to be very profitable for the foreseeable future. Just for your information, my banker said that my business has the absolute cleanest books he has ever seen. That includes paying the IRS and not spending money to hide money.

Please note, I have made two posts in this thread. The first was about signage on my trucks. I have 25 of them, and they all have signage on them.

The second was to address Jim's accusation of Tony causing drama. Since I have been directly threatened and berated by Jim on multiple occasions simply because I disagreed with him. There are screen shots available where Jim stated that he was working with local authorities in such a way that it could damage my business. If that is not a direct threat, and if that does not show what the goals of Jim are, then I would be shocked.

Additionally, I have other posts that have shown how Jim has pried into proprietary information on my business, including researching meetings that have been held, and then tried to promote to others that my business is on a failure mode. I find that offensive. I am sorry if I get my panties in a bunch about it, but really, I have never attacked anyone, or made efforts to work against ANY contractor in this industry. In fact, I would say I have even gone out of my way to help people to clean things properly and legally.

So, if Jim is worried about drama, then so be it. I feel he has attempted to damage my business, and my families livelihood in a very direct, and obvious way. That he is so insecure that he feels someone is attacking him based on disagreeing with methods, I would suggest counselling. I might even have a few bucks to chip in to help defray the costs.

Be it known, that I am sick and tired of Jim doing illegal background checks, probing into anything that has to do with my customers, and even researching, poorly by the way, the financing arrangements I have on my equipment.

Jim, I know you are going to read every word of this. I am tired of you meddling in my business. Stay out of my life, stay out of my business. Go and build your own business on your own abilities. If you feel threatened by me, I have done nothing but run a rock solid, very profitable business for the last 23 years. All of my customers are happy, my bills are paid, and I am going to continue to be very profitable for the foreseeable future. Just for your information, my banker said that my business has the absolute cleanest books he has ever seen. That includes paying the IRS and not spending money to hide money.

Then bring what you have forward in the back room because whatever your personal problems Scott you have with Jim it does not give Tony ************** or anyone else the right here on this bulletin board to attack him in your defense or Rons or whoever it maybe.

What Tony is doing here is wrong...and you know it.

You got a beef with Jim then fix your problems.. Tony is continuosly saying he is going to chase Jim until the end of time and we have once again Doug ********** pressing like buttons to fuel Tony's anger.. You know where this is heading and its not fair to let guys pile on Jim because your pissed at him. That may work on a different bb but untill the admin says otherwise its not going to work here.

It's not fair to take your personal problems with Jim and let others pile on. And since where on this subject call your friend Ron and ask him the bizaar accusations he called me on yesterday. So go back to the other bb and keep those fires lit that Ron loves.. Over here I'm going to put them out.... and that is a promise.

Greg, is any of your lettering reflective, like what is on emergency vehicles?

I was looking into that but they want like 5 to 8 times the price for the same thing in reflective lettering.

Those pictures of that truck are very nice, it came out great!

Jim has the option of returning to his own profitable? business, in his own section of the country without involving the rest of us in his quest to force mandatory filtration on the industry.

Or he can keep his current course. If he keeps his course, I will keep mine.

What Jim is apparently in denial of is the fact that, when motivated enough any regulator can find something wrong with anyone's operation, including Jim's, whether they are right or wrong doesn't matter. They can litigate you right out of business just trying to fight it. Jim is in a vulnerable position in that the work he does disturbs far more contaminants than the average cleaner. That makes him a juicy target for them.

Sometimes it's best to just go about your business minding your own business.

If Jim had done that, and kept to his own area, there would be no reason for me to go to absurd lengths to protect my son's business.

I love this kind of stuff. I get a vacation in San Francisco and get some sweet justice at the same time.

The above was my original post about making my own vinyl lettering. I got the machine and am having fun experimenting with it.

This thread really came off the tracks!

Greg, is any of your lettering reflective, like what is on emergency vehicles?

I was looking into that but they want like 5 to 8 times the price for the same thing in reflective lettering.

Those pictures of that truck are very nice, it came out great!

Thanks Chris - no this was all 3M vinyl with some being printed full color and laminated.

As for the other BS in here... I wish I had the free time to post BS and argue over stupid as* sh*t all day.

Sorry Rick-- this post really went off track..I hope whatever you asked originally got answered somewhere.

I'm not really sure what I originally asked. ;)

You know I rarely go on this board anymore because you 2 JO's Tony ************** and Ron Gamble constantly hijack almost every thread. People come on here to interact and try to learn valuable information. Why do both of you need to constantly go back and forth like 8 year olds in a public forum??? It is just flat out embarrassing and getting REAL old. You both claim how busy and big you both are but yet you have a ridiculous amount of posts. I run only 3 trucks and I barely have time to check emails. I really wish you guys would knock it off and grow up. You are grown men for Christ sake!!! Where are all the "Moderators" for all this BS??? You guys call yourselves professionals??? You 2 certainly do not act like ones. For me, I would not ask either of you for the time of day, let alone a professional question. Hard to take children seriously.

Tom, I'm sorry I haven't lived up to your expectations. I've spent my entire life trying to please you, yet somehow I've failed. I may as well jump off a bridge now.

Maybe you should consider the fact that if there were just a few others who were willing to stand up against those who have made it their goal to reduce the number of competitive contractors through government regulations I wouldn't have to dedicate so much of my own time on it and the burden could be shared. Jim should have been shut down months ago but few have the guts to take a chance on offending anybody by calling a spade a spade.

As a result, he now represents our industry by way of being appointed by a few who couldn't give a crap about what the industry at large wants or needs.

Because guys like yourself let it happen and just want to come on for information and not take the time or the heat for standing up for capitalism over regulatory monopolization.

Nevermind, I just noticed where you live. You probably don't understand the fact that government regulation destroys the free market. When in the city buy a couple of 16 oz cokes for me.

Signed JO #1

Why waste time your time... Let a vinyl guy do it quick and easy and you go out and make the bucks. Putting our 6th truck in service on Monday and my sign guy knocks them out in 24 hours full color for $900.00. It's by far the best ROI you'll probably ever have so put some thought into it.

Greg

Greg,

I think your truck looks great ! I know I have said this before in this thread before all of this hoopla, but I really do mean that. It looks professional and a poses an invite to ask you more...

I also have a question about it if I may..... does the lettering come off after a while?

Also what do you think about a wrap around vs Vinyl Lettering?

The reason why I ask is this....

We are planning on building a trailer similar to a car hauler, except the trailer will carry specialized equipment with possible a very small office/ sleeping area and parts/ repair station. Since the trailer will be over 22 ft long, we was thinking of our first vinyl lettering signage like what you did or going with a full wrap around. I think the wrap around will cost more and may not last as long.

What are your thoughts on this Greg?

I can answer that.

The vinyl can come off over time. It also can be peeled off by a pressure washer, if it is washed improperly, before it is fully cured on the paint of the vehicle. A wrap is a solid piece of vinyl. It can come off, and it can also fade, over time. Different areas of the country can have different results in the life expectancy of the vinyl.

Depending on how it is cared for, a wrap can actually last longer then just plain vinyl, because there are not so many edges that can get caught, so that it can be peeled off.

For what it is worth, my parents owned a sign shop, with my worthless, oldest brother, for a while, and I picked up a little bit from what I saw in their business

I had dry clean delivery vans with vinyl installed in 1998 that still looked fine with no peeling and limited fading in 2006.

On the other hand our flatbed has vinyl less than 3 yrs old that is both peeling and badly faded.

There must be a wide variation of vinyl quality.

I had dry clean delivery vans with vinyl installed in 1998 that still looked fine with no peeling and limited fading in 2006.

On the other hand our flatbed has vinyl less than 3 yrs old that is both peeling and badly faded.

There must be a wide variation of vinyl quality.

Thanks Tony and Scott for the information.

I had a partial wrap done on my truck, vinyl wrap on the tailgate and some on the sides and regular vinyl lettering on the sides.

After about 3.5 years the vinly wrap started fading but the vinyl letters still look great. Now the vinyl wrap is so faded you can barely make out anything so I need to replace it but going to have a different marketing message this time, just not sure what.

Part of the problem is the company did not have the better quality materials like they have now and now they have the sealers for the wrap or a coating of some kind to help keep it from fading.

Another part is the South Texas sun most of the year working to fade everything.

I think if they use the good materials you should easily get 4 to 6 years out of a wrap and/or vinyl letters.