Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

ladders

If you could only have one ladder for your rig, what size ladder would you most likey pick. I have a 40' ladder which is a monster for one man to handle, and am going to buy another extension ladder this week, but don't know which ladder size would be most usefull.

Thanks for everyones help. John

For 5 years, I used a 20' fiberglass that was enough for 98% of what I needed a ladder for. I would rent longer ladders if they were needed. Recently, I purchased a 28' aluminum, which weighs about the same as the 20'. I always use a stabilizer.

I have had a 28 foot werner aluminum with werner auto leg stabilizers and ladder horns up top for 5 years and have never needed another. It is light enough, and the auto stabilizers are a must. Nick

It really depends on what kind of work your doing (Commercial, Residential etc. ) and what part of the country you live in. There are huge differences in structural and archeticual design from one part of the country to another. I do mainly Residential work and have never needed (probably a little lucky) an extension ladder taller than my 20'.

Henry, what are you using the 40' ladder for, houses or buildings? I've never even seen a house around here where a ladder even close to that tall would be needed. Most houses around here are regular ranch style homes which usually don't exceed two stories.

We've tried 'em all, and finally this spring, took the plunge on a Little Giant 22' 1A. Every other ladder we own from the 24' extension on down has been collecting dust ever since. Expensive, but more than worth every penny.

Brian Welker

Great Panes Window Cleaning

Under Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

Statesboro, GA

i use a gorilla, 24'. (HD for about $200.) but man is it heavy, even though its aluminum. to get it to full extention, trying to balance it while pushing it up, by myself just wears me out. But boy is it handy.

I saw an info-mercial on the Little Giant and really liked what I saw. I think I might have to invest in one when the ladders I have now ware out.

The LG you see in the infomercial is 17' and costs about $350. If you look on eBay, you will see LG's for about $300 and the larger LG's for about #350 to $400.

I was in Sam's club the other day and saw a similar ladder (17') for $129. I didn't buy it, but I may go back and get it.

Go to home show they sometimes have LG ladders there. Check them out before you buy one that isn't a LG and see the comparison for yourself. I just got my LG this year and like it alot.

Charlie

I have the mid-sized Little Giant (22'??) and love it but dont have a stabilizer for it. I am thinking of putting a 24 Werner with stabilizer on the trailer instead. The Little Giant is the best ladder made but man it is heavy. I think mine weighs over 50 pounds. At the end of the dayI think I will not be as tired with a 24 Werner.

20' fiberglass Werner with quick connect stabilizer $250.

i thought the chems would react with aluminum? only used it once so for.

OSHA requirements might play factor? i think that every four feet in elevation requires one foot away from structure. plus 36 inches beyond the top height.

so technically to climb a 12 foot structure ladder height would be approx. 18feet.

we also have an multi position ladder made by KRAUSE 12' i think my partner got it from SAMS.

makes my fingers very nervous....

We've tried 'em all, and finally this spring, took the plunge on a Little Giant 22' 1A. Every other ladder we own from the 24' extension on down has been collecting dust ever since. Expensive, but more than worth every penny.

Brian Welker

Great Panes Window Cleaning

Under Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

Statesboro, GA

Once you get over the amount of money they cost, I don't think that they make a ladder any better than what Little Giant offers...

We use 26' little giants. If you're thinking of getting one, I suggest going to the home show at closing time of the last day...they will make you a bargain to avoid having to ship it back.